sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 19, 2017 7:05 pm  #1

CHCH Airing "Soundtracks" About Music And Iconic Moments In News

They may be "fake news" according to the Donald, but they are turning out some really interesting documentaries. CNN has been trying to add  some non-headline shows in the last few years, like the current "History of Comedy," which has so far been pretty good. 

And now there's another one that may be of interest to some on this board. It's called "Soundtracks: Songs That Made History." Here's the network's description of the show:

"Soundtracks: Songs That Made History (working title) is an eight-part series executive-produced by Dwayne JohnsonDanny GarciaHiram Garcia, and Brian Gewirtz that will explore the music tied to iconic moments in history.  Every episode will cover a tragedy, triumph, or the start of a movement – and the music that came to define it.  From the March on Washington to the riots at Stonewall, the moon landing to Hurricane Katrina – music has played an integral part in celebrating, criticizing, and amplifying these seismic events in our collective history." 

And yes, you read that right. The host is Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, which is certainly an interesting choice. No official premiere date yet, but it's expected "in the spring," which is right around the corner, so keep an eye out if you want to see it.

Meanwhile, Country Music Television in the U.S. is set to debut its much touted "Sun Records" series this week, but so far, I've been unable to find anyone who's airing it in Canada. CMT's Canadian website indicates it's showing something else this coming Thursday at 10, so who knows when we'll be able to see it here.

April 21, 2017 7:34 pm  #2

Re: CHCH Airing "Soundtracks" About Music And Iconic Moments In News

This show finally premiered on Thursday and in case you missed it - as I did - it airs again Saturday night at 9 PM and repeats at 1 AM on Sunday. It normally airs Thursdays at 10 PM, with a rerun early the following morning. 

The first episode is about protest songs, some dating back to the start of last century, working its way up to the 60s and beyond, the era of the Vietnam War, Black Panthers, and more. 

In case you're not sure if this show is for you, there's a closer look at the debut here. 

Next week's topic concerns 9/11 and the music that was out in that fateful time in 2001. I'm guessing other tragic moments will be referenced as well. 

Just one caveat: CNN has a terrible habit of interrupting these shows for breaking news, which is expected for an all news network, But during their History of Comedy series, they continually preempted the final few shows for what was essentially reruns of Anderson Cooper or other previously aired specials on breaking stories from several hours earlier - most predictably involving their public enemy number one (and big ratings getter), Donald Trump.

In fact, I never saw the final two or three episodes of that Comedy series, despite setting my DVR to record it every single time it was scheduled. To my knowledge none of those final installments were ever aired and I still have no idea why or if they ever will appear. Still, they promise more new episodes are coming "this summer" so maybe they're holding the missing shows back until then.    

I hope they fare better with their "Soundtracks" scheduling. 

CNN Soundtracks: Songs That Defined History  

April 21, 2017 7:59 pm  #3

They also carried a lengthy report on Friday evening telling us that Hillary Clinton has resurfaced and is back on the publicity trail...

Jesus H. Christ...

April 22, 2017 9:37 pm  #4

CNN's ridiculous scheduling department strikes again! Despite guide listings that say the Soundtracks show will air at 9 PM Saturday, it's actually going to be shown at 11 for some reason. Adjust your DVRs accordingly.  

November 6, 2020 9:41 am  #5

I noticed that CHCH has bought this series and is showing it every Sunday night at 7 PM. In case you missed it, don't have CNN or are just finding out about it now. I've changed the subject line accordingly.