sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 18, 2016 10:08 am  #1

Monday's Amber Alert

about the aurora tot abduction. why isn't the tv blasting amber alert warnings every 10 minutes?

Last edited by ShaneAlexander (April 18, 2016 10:08 am)

April 18, 2016 10:24 am  #2

Re: Monday's Amber Alert

Nobody can figure out how many times they're supposed to be running, etc.  The entire system is a clusterfuck.  You can take over all media in Canada, but it's not worth having someone voice the announcements and upload an 8k file as opposed to this automated shite?   Typically Canadian not ready for prime time rollout.

Child has been recovered, Alert cancelled,  Not without drama though.

ig.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

April 18, 2016 10:26 am  #3

I read on the 640 twitter feed that it was more of a child custody dispute than an abduction as per yrp.. the dad's still in custody, though.

April 18, 2016 10:44 am  #4

He's in custody because he was allegedly driving like a lunatic, according to the scanner / twitter feeds, hitting about 140k,  trying to outrun the OPP and flipped the minivan, pinning his daughter upside down for about 20 minutes while they got her out.  

It will be interesting to see if there was any immediate danger though.  The amber alert is _supposed_ to be used in cases of child abduction where the child is in imminent danger, not just because mommy and daddy can't get along and it's easier for cops to find the parent using this method.  

The initial concerns were always that it would be used as a child finder tool as opposed to a child in danger finding tool.  All a parent needs to do is utter the magic words 'may be in danger' and poof.. everything gets dialed up to 100.  (And yes, before this turns into a talk radio for beginners debate, if it was one of my kids, irresponsible or not, those would indeed be the first words out of my mouth.)

ShaneAlexander wrote:

I read on the 640 twitter feed that it was more of a child custody dispute than an abduction as per yrp.. the dad's still in custody, though.

Last edited by ig (April 18, 2016 10:45 am)

April 18, 2016 11:32 am  #5

Agreed Iain...tough call though...if my wife and I were fighting or estranged or whatever and she took my kids I would not assume she intended to hurt them because I believe I would have a grasp on the situation...but we don't know all the circumstances here...I haven't looked into the details here so excuse my ignorance but if there was evidence to suggest this guy might have wanted to hurt his kid then do something to harm himself then the alert was justified.

April 18, 2016 11:40 am  #6

You're correct, and I don't know if there was a 'threat' or not.  It was certainly never mentioned in the 3 hours before the amber alert was issued.  You would _assume_ that if there was a concern, the alert would have been issued a lot faster.  It was just reported as a parental abduction.  

Johnny B wrote:

Agreed Iain...tough call though...if my wife and I were fighting or estranged or whatever and she took my kids I would not assume she intended to hurt them because I believe I would have a grasp on the situation...but we don't know all the circumstances here...I haven't looked into the details here so excuse my ignorance but if there was evidence to suggest this guy might have wanted to hurt his kid then do something to harm himself then the alert was justified.

April 18, 2016 11:44 am  #7

I think the execution on TV should be full screen every 20-30 mins, and a crawl the rest the of the time.   Not sure why it needs to be every 10 mins as a full screen graphic of text.

As well, on both radio and tv, when way better technology is available for text to speech, why they can't spend a little more and get something that people can make out, and sounds more human.   It sounds like they picked technology that is 20-30 years old. 

If you are not going to pay someone to record an audio file which the system is capable of airing as it does for the tests, then spend a little to get something that people can understand and that can speak english correctly.   

April 18, 2016 1:41 pm  #8

radiokid wrote:

If you are not going to pay someone to record     

Not to quibble but I would hope that a system would be put in place where someone -- anyone wouldn't need to be paid.   

I mean who wouldn't GLADLY volunteer their services at a time like this ??