sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 22, 2020 11:28 am  #1

Leading With Their "CHIN": A Question About Call Letters

Every station, no matter what its branding, is assigned call letters - administered by Industry Canada. I have a question about one of them. When CHIN-AM went on the air in 1966, it was a standalone and only made possible by former frequency occupant CHFI-AM (later CFTR) moving to 680. 

Its FM counterpart began a year later at 100.7.

So far, nothing unusual there. But in 1997, the CRTC granted CHIN an FM rebroadcaster for its 1540 AM signal, agreeing with the argument that the station couldn't be heard clearly after evening pattern change. So that's how it ended up with 91.9. 

OK. But at some point, I would argue that CHIN pulled a fast one, using the new FM frequency as a brand new station, with original programming and not simulcasting its AM signal. Effectively, the owners wound up with a precious FM signal in Toronto that would be highly coveted by other would-be broadcasters (especially, I'm guessing, the Evanovs!) under what could be seen as false pretenses. 

Whatever you think of how it worked out, arguably 91.9 has become a brand new station and is no longer an AM rebroadcaster. As far as I know, its call letters remain CHIN-FM. But as noted there already IS a CHIN-FM. (The FCC database lists the frequency as "CHIN-FM-AX1," which is equally odd.) How can two stations have the same call letters on the same band in the same city? Shouldn't one of them have to get a new call sign? 

Not the most important question you'll come across today, I know, but it's the minutiae of radio that often fascinates me. And I'd really like to know the answer.  

October 22, 2020 11:52 am  #2

Re: Leading With Their "CHIN": A Question About Call Letters

91.9's calls are CHIN-FM-1, which they got when they signed on as a repeater. In theory, they should have been swapped to originating calls when programming separated, but....

Programming is regulated by CRTC, call-letters by Industry Canada. Industry Canada doesn't track programming changes.

In the end, they are separate call-letters, and changing them to indicate originating station designation may just be good form, but not 100% required.

October 22, 2020 12:00 pm  #3

That's interesting. So if I have a ratings diary like my friend, and I put down that I listened to CHIN-FM, how do they know which one I was tuned into? Which show gets the credit?

October 22, 2020 12:13 pm  #4

The FCC database is not a reliable source of information about Canadian call letters. Canadian data in the FCC database exists only to tell US consulting engineers (like me) what Canadian signals must be protected under international treaty obligations. It often bears little to no resemblance to what's actually on the air across the border, because treaties often require protection to facilities that don't exist anymore or in some cases never existed. Sometimes there are no call letters attached to those protected facilities at all. 

The better source for actual callsigns, to the extent those matter anymore, is ISEDC (the old Industry Canada). Looking at the ISEDC database via FCCdata.org (which is not an FCC site, but rather a privately-run, US-based site that amalgamates data from several international regulators), it appears the actual record for the current 91.9 facility is this one:

https://fccdata.org/?lang=en&canfm=CHIN-1-FM

The callsign for 91.9 is "CHIN-1-FM," which in the ISEDC system is distinct from "CHIN-FM" or a hypothetical "CHIN-FM-1," To the extent I understand how ISEDC does it, it works like this:

"CHIN" (four letters, no suffix) would be an AM station.
"CHIN-FM" (four letters, -FM suffix) would be an FM station.
"CHIN-1" (four letters, number suffix) would be an AM station, generally one that relays another AM station.
"CHIN-1-FM" (four letters, number suffix, then -FM) would be an FM station that relays an AM station.
"CHIN-FM-1" (four letters, -FM, then number suffix) would be an FM station that relays another FM station.

So it makes sense that "CHIN-1-FM" would be an FM station (originally on 101.3, then on 91.9) relaying "CHIN" from the AM dial, right? Just like it makes sense that "CJKX-FM-2" is an FM station (on 89.9, in this case) that relays another FM station, CJKX-FM from Ajax.

But there are some caveats.

First, ISEDC isn't always consistent. The 107.7 signal in Oshawa really should be "CKDO-1-FM," since it's an FM relay of "CKDO" on 1580 AM. But it's "CKDO-FM-1" instead, and I don't know why. 92.9 in Chatham-Kent is "CFCO-1-FM," as it should be, and 103.9 in Sarnia is "CHOK-1-FM." Maybe someone at ISEDC just screwed up on the Oshawa one. 

Second, the ISEDC system really doesn't care whether a particular facility is licensed by the CRTC as a "station" or as a "transmitter." As I understand it from south of the border, a "station" has its own separate license status and obligations and originates programming. Unlike in the FCC system, a "station" can have multiple "transmitters." And there's a maddening inconsistency as to how those transmitters get labeled. Transmitters can have completely separate callsigns and still be licensed under another "station" license - at one time, for instance, the old CJNH Bancroft was simply a transmitter under the license of CJTN Trenton, if memory serves. 

(I've been trying to keep the CBC out of this, but there's a good example here: over the years, CBLFT-TV has gone back and forth from being its own separate license to being a transmitter of CBOFT-TV Ottawa to being its own separate license again. You couldn't do that in the US.) 

And here's where 91.9 comes in: if the CRTC allows you to convert a transmitter into a separate license, as they did with CHIN splitting 91.9 off from 1540, the callsign doesn't automatically change. Blackburn did that in Windsor, where CKUE-FM-1 was originally set up as a transmitter relaying CKUE-FM Chatham. A few years ago, they were able to split the Windsor signal off to a separate license (on a new frequency, too), and so now CKUE-FM-1 Windsor is a separate license with some separate programming from Chatham. 

So that's the very long-winded explanation I have: CHIN-FM-1 on 91.9 is now a separate license from both CHIN on 1540 and CHIN-FM on 100.7. 

(In our next installment, the even more tangled mess that is the CBC's informal callsign system...)

October 22, 2020 12:17 pm  #5

Well, that's all in theory since they're not rated, but the diary has you fill out a table to match the frequencies with what you've called a station in the listening log.

Thinking further, I'm not 100% sure CHIN-FM-1 would be the right call-letters even when it was a repeater, as that reads to me that it's repeating 100.7. It's a bit of a unique situation, and I can't think of a comparable one.

Would be great if Scott Fybush or someone who knows this stuff inside-out were to chime in.

Edit: And he did.

Last edited by RadioAaron (October 22, 2020 12:18 pm)

October 22, 2020 12:18 pm  #6

As for ratings: nobody's writing anything about "CHIN" or "91.9" in a diary, because Toronto is a PPM meter market. That may be one reason CHIN hasn't bothered to sort out any confusion - Numeris provides separate encoders for 1540, 91.9 and 100.7, and the meters log separate listening for each frequency. 

And about that "CHIN-FM-AX1" - ISEDC, unlike the FCC, appears to issue a completely separate license for auxiliary/standby facilities. "CHIN-FM-AX1" is the auxiliary/standby to keep CHIN-FM 100.7 on the air when the CN Tower is out of service - it's a 230-watt signal from the Church Street studios, if I'm reading the records correctly. It has nothing to do with 91.9.

If there were a standby/aux for 91.9, it would presumably be CHIN-1-FM-AX1. My head hurts!

October 22, 2020 12:21 pm  #7

fybush wrote:

As for ratings: nobody's writing anything about "CHIN" or "91.9" in a diary, because Toronto is a PPM meter market.

Numeris does run a simultaneous diary survey in PPM markets. It's not publicy published (you can find it if you know your way around one of the ratings software programs), but used for the audience profile information that the sales departments love.

For PPM, the CHIN stations don't encode anyway.

Last edited by RadioAaron (October 22, 2020 12:25 pm)

October 22, 2020 1:01 pm  #8

Thanks for the explanations - I think! I'm not sure I'm any more enlightened than when I started, but it's certainly educational. But what a mess! (This, by the way, is the 8th response on this board to this post. So is it SOWNY-FM-8 or SOWNY-8-FM? Or just SOWNY-8? Frankly, I'm already lost!)

I was actually laughing out loud as I read Mr. Fybush's attempt to outline how it works. But I think the point is that this is, indeed, a unique situation and in most cases, a "new" station should have new call signs. Leave it to the government to come up with a system like this.    

October 22, 2020 1:45 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

But I think the point is that this is, indeed, a unique situation and in most cases, a "new" station should have new call signs. Leave it to the government to come up with a system like this.    

I think it comes down to there not really being a clear and consistent system that accounts for all possibilities, and everyone involved kind of just wings it. Scott referenced the mess that is CBC's calls - and to this day as they launch and modify transmitters they're inconsistent with them. But alas, you'll never hear call-letters on any CBC station anyway which is a true indication of their importance.

October 22, 2020 1:45 pm  #10

Fewer and fewer stations use their call letters anyway, other than official id's.   And listeners don't really concern themselves much about the technical side or variations of call letters for stations, or whether what they are listening to is a rebroadcaster etc. The technical side regardless is always pretty confusing to those of us that aren't trained in this area.

And correct me if I am wrong, but call letters aren't actually "assigned" by Industry Canada.  I would think the applicant for a new station, or a station changing format/image actually can have  a lot of input or determine the calls if they choose.  And as long as they are following the guidelines. 

There seem to be many call letters that have a relationship to the branding or even the founder.  CJDV-Dave, CKIS-Kiss, CHBM-Boom, CKWD-Wild, CFTR-Ted Rogers, CKPW-Power, CFPG-Peggy, CIHT-Hot, CISS-Kiss Ottawa,  etc.. I don't imagine these call letters were assigned by Industry Canada, but they would approve them.

October 22, 2020 2:59 pm  #11

Well, you're right that call letters are mostly lost to branding (and a top of the hour I.D.) Stations like Boom, Virgin, AM740, Q107, The Fan, etc. are in the majority. But there are still a few that rely on the four letters.

CHIN is one of them. 

I'm guessing CHUM-FM still uses theirs because the letters form a promotable word and the call sign is so iconic in this city.

CHFI may be "Toronto's Perfect Music Mix," but the letters always precede the phrase.

CFRB has spent more than a decade running away from its call letters, trying to get the Newstalk 1010 brand into people's heads. I'd say they more than succeeded to the point where, when a listener once in a while says something like, "I've been a CFRB listener for years," it almost sounds weird. And inevitably, the on-air personality always glosses over it.

October 22, 2020 3:18 pm  #12

RadioAaron wrote:

fybush wrote:

As for ratings: nobody's writing anything about "CHIN" or "91.9" in a diary, because Toronto is a PPM meter market.

Numeris does run a simultaneous diary survey in PPM markets. It's not publicy published (you can find it if you know your way around one of the ratings software programs), but used for the audience profile information that the sales departments love.

For PPM, the CHIN stations don't encode anyway.

I did not know that! I don't believe Nielsen Audio does anything similar in PPM markets here, but I'm not a ratings expert. (I'll ask my guru friends about it, though.)

October 22, 2020 3:27 pm  #13

The diaries still exist here. As noted in this earlier post, a friend of mine got the call a few days ago from Canadian rating system Numeris about filling one out. They're doing it online this period because of COVID. How that will work I have no idea, but he's pledged to let me know when the official 7-day time period starts next week. 

October 22, 2020 5:52 pm  #14

I'm in the middle of an on line rating week and it's quite simple. You enter the time you start listening and stop listening from a drop box... then it asks you for the frequency of the station you were listening to. A list of stations comes up and you scroll until you find the right brand for your market and enter it. The next time period if you enter the same frequency your market station pops up first. 

In the car I listen mostly to SiriusXM 60's on 6 or 70's on 7 but Sirius is not on the menu. You can add a station to the list if it's not there but since ratings mean nothing to SiriusXM I'm listening to local radio and recording them appropriately for this week. 

For me the survey period started Monday and ends Sunday. 

October 22, 2020 6:09 pm  #15

My friend, who's doing the survey next week, asked a Numeris rep what happens if you listen to a few stations in the same quarter hour - who gets the win? Her response was "whichever you listened to the longest." OK, but what if you listen to station A for 7 minutes and station B for 8? How is that fair for the former? 

And similarly, what if you tuned in 4 or 5 different outlets in that time? Does the one who got 30 secs. longer become the time slot winner? I realize most people don't listen to radio this way, but for those who do, this seems a very inaccurate way of measuring it. 

Not to mention if you're out in the car. Who is going to be able to write down what they heard at what time if they're driving? And even then, I wonder how many people actually take the time to do it accurately no matter where they listen? Are you supposed to carry a paper and a pen to record everything?   

That's why I don't really trust the diary method.  

October 22, 2020 7:51 pm  #16

The diary method is far from perfect and naturally is not 100% foolproof.  No survey or poll is.  However it is a good indication of trends and changes in the marketplace and that is what it is intended to do. And if there is a good response to a particular survey, it is reasonably accurate given the limitations.

The on line survey is easy and not time consuming and much more user friendly than the old pen and paper diary.  If you want you can easily add distant US stations or Sirius XM if they don't come up when you enter the frequencies that you listened to.  I completed a survey a few months ago, no issues at all and I enjoyed taking part. 

And you are right, most people don't listen to 4 or 5 stations in a 15 minute period (other than radio people).  The average listener is who the survey is designed for and who Numeris really wants.

I might  trust former radio people (including myself) a little less than the average listener since some may use this as a feeble last chance to correct a past slight or something they think is wrong.  Bet it happens more than we like to admit!  As we know some broadcasters don't get over grudges easily.

Anyway, I hope your friend doesn't overthink this too much, or constantly look for flaws.  You can make it real complicated if you want to, but that's not how the vast majority completing a survey would approach it.  

October 23, 2020 9:35 am  #17

Filling out the electronic diary is feeding a dead horse. As I posted earlier this week, Numeris has postponed the release of the on-going Diary data until Spring 2021. There will be no Fall 2020 release. Worst, when the results are published 8 months from now they will not include markets that are considered non-competitive. This includes for example Guelph and Oshawa even though those markets are saturated with signals  from competing stations.  And we wonder why the giant digital players (Facebook, Amazon, Google et all) are eating radio's advertising lunch?As part of the process moving forward, Numeris plans to focus on ‘understanding the respondents’. We will connect with households that confirmed participation but did not complete the diary. This will provide additional insights towards understanding the lack of responses during these unprecedented times and making necessary adjustments in recruitment. We continue to update our diary operations with the learning from respondents during these unprecedented times. Many of the challenges encountered at the start of Fall 2020 have already been mitigated with changes to our diary operations. It is too early to tell if Numeris has achieved exactly the right level of ongoing sustainability because many of the changes were made recently and the full impact is to-be-determined.  However, Numeris is more confident in a Spring release, and will look to validate that projection in the coming weeks as diary commitment and return results stabilize.

Releasing in Spring 2021 means:

• All markets released with majority of new data
  • Using new diary data will be more comparable with future diary releases … Fall 2021, if COVID continues
  • Better use of sample for Spring and Fall 2021
  • RTS Spring release may be impacted as a result of no Fall Diary release.

Regular, ongoing communication will be distributed to the industry throughout the Fall as we prepare for the Spring 2021 release.

© Numeris 2020. All rights reserved.