sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 19, 2020 11:46 am  #1

Overemployed

So I'm driving around yesterday doing a few chores (yes I know I should not be out driving unless I am going to buy food or see a doctor, but here we are) and decide to see what up on Newstalk 1010.  It's 1 something in the afternoon.  1010 -- the employment lawyer show.  OK, what's on AM 640?  An employment law show.  Out of curiosity what happening on CKTB?  Yep... employment law show.  All three stations also had separate shows.. including of course, 1010 with the ubiquitous Howard Levitt.  Is that guy never off the air... and what are they paying him? 

October 19, 2020 11:51 am  #2

Re: Overemployed

CKTB and 1010 aren't actually separate shows on Sundays. There's just a slight delay between the two. They're the same show out of Toronto via the Bell Talk Radio Network. But your point is taken. It's extremely annoying to have the same kind of show on at the exact same time on three stations. 

I'm not sure Levitt gets paid for it. I suspect it's more of a promotional activity for his firm than it is a freebie. If anything, I believe he's paying for the time. 

October 19, 2020 12:11 pm  #3

Hmm... interesting.

So Levitts' firm doesn't mind that he is doing radio pretty well every day of the week?
When does he do the lawyering?

October 19, 2020 12:43 pm  #4

It's hours of free (or in some cases paid) advertising. Why in the world would he turn it down?

October 19, 2020 5:33 pm  #5

I agree. No credibility until actual lawyering is done.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 21, 2020 12:23 pm  #6

The show on 1010, is sent down the Bell Network to all news talk stations in the chain to air in Ontario.    It's clearly identified as a paid program BUT these are one of the few programs I tend to appreciate because of how bad employers have become.    Not all are, but there is loads, and education is beneficial.    The real calls are real issues typically, and it's shocking when you hear how crooked some places are.   I also think it's educational to employers, as a few have called in as well.    Yes.. it's to push people to the office of the lawyer, but the law is the same for every employment firm, so I find it less pushy vs product a and product b commercial shows.   

Are they huge ratings wins?  likely not... but based on the long flow of calls, I think they are very popular vs a normal infomercial. I think they are a great win financially.  

As well 640 and 1010 running the shows for different lawyers at the same time, is smart programming.   It pushes people to decide which one to listen to.  Corus also sends their show out on the Corus network in Ontario, as 900 in Hamilton and I think 980 in London runs it as well. 

I don't trust lawyers fully, but I have used one and can appreciate when you need one..  

Last edited by radiokid (October 21, 2020 12:29 pm)