sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 15, 2020 11:45 am  #31

Re: Is This a E-Skip or Tropo Catch

I should add a couple of points about the Sony Tuner. I belive the 99.00 price was close to the original list price when the unit was introduced in the mid 2000's but it's price and reputation has grown and hence the price increase.

A caution to anyone interested, the unit has been reported to suffer from overheating problems and an audible hum from the electronic transformer. Still valued though, particularly amongst DX'ers from what I have read. 

The lower model I purchased does not have those problems and can still be had on eBay for a reasonable price but do keep in mind that the sample I posted was from a day with good atmospherics and reception also depends a lot on your location and antenna and antenna placement. Have not tried the radio on AM yet.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

October 15, 2020 5:56 pm  #32

Sony makes the best tuners ive noticed.  From a clock radio to a boombox I cant even compare it to my Yamaha receiver or anything else.

Sony will lock in the weakest station and focus on it. 

October 15, 2020 9:00 pm  #33

markow202 wrote:

Sony makes the best tuners ive noticed.  From a clock radio to a boombox I cant even compare it to my Yamaha receiver or anything else.

Sony will lock in the weakest station and focus on it. 

I got the radio a few weeks ago but did not have a chance to try it out until this week and and was impressed when it picked up the Alt Buffalo translator at 104.7 ( 250 watts) during a mild tropo yesterday or the day before. I just tried it at 100.5 and it picked up a faint signal for the WECK  translator ( 250 watts or less) and there is no atmospheric help today.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/