sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 15, 2020 11:20 am  #1

new owners for G-98.7

Fact: Black radio station G-98.7 was sold late last week. The financially challenged FM station was ordered sold by the courts. Before deal is finalized there will be a virtual court review this Monday. Who is the owner? Don't have a clue, but the very active rumour mill suggests an East Asian consortium has purchased the station. 

October 15, 2020 11:27 am  #2

Re: new owners for G-98.7

I think CRTC approval would also be required before this could be finalized or am I wrong here?

October 15, 2020 11:34 am  #3

I think you may have missed this post from yesterday. It explains who the receiver picked and who the runner up is. There is also a link to a Broadcast Dialogue article with more info.
New Owner Picked For G98.7

October 15, 2020 11:40 am  #4

radiokid wrote:

I think CRTC approval would also be required before this could be finalized or am I wrong here?

Nothing (much) is required if the format remains the same.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 15, 2020 11:57 am  #5

Radiowiz wrote:

radiokid wrote:

Nothing (much) is required if the format remains the same.

Yeah, should be a pretty clean approval.

October 15, 2020 1:38 pm  #6

I just checked on the Instagram of G98.7 this morning, the breakfast host Mark & Jem had an interview with Joshua Telemaque and his parents, the victim of the high school bullying incident in Pickering. It's great that G is willing to step up and continue to voice for Black Canadians while such unfortunate racial confrontations are still happening in the country. 

From the Broadcast Dialogue article, it mentioned there was no bidders from the Black community that decided to bought G98.7. I do really hope the new owner Neeti P. Ray will live up to his promise for continuing to make G98.7 a voice of Black Canadians, by retaining its format and airstaffs.

October 15, 2020 1:48 pm  #7

Adrian106072 wrote:

I just checked on the Instagram of G98.7 this morning, the breakfast host Mark & Jem had an interview with Joshua Telemaque and his parents, the victim of the high school bullying incident in Pickering. It's great that G is willing to step up and continue to voice for Black Canadians while such unfortunate racial confrontations are still happening in the country. 

From the Broadcast Dialogue article, it mentioned there was no bidders from the Black community that decided to bought G98.7. I do really hope the new owner Neeti P. Ray will live up to his promise for continuing to make G98.7 a voice of Black Canadians, by retaining its format and airstaffs.

What I get from the article, they are only going to do what makes sense financially.    The focus will likely remain on the current audience, but they may move to less of a commercial model, and perhaps sell air time to people who want to buy it to do a show similar to a multi-cultural station.    No one has any idea of the plans, and I would only be guessing here....  Sadly the station isn't making money as is, so changes are needed for sure to ensure it can stay on the air.   It can't keep running at a loss.