sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 12, 2020 3:40 pm  #1

A Radio Thanksgiving Surprise

I was surprised - and pleased - to hear that while CFRB was all reroll all day on the holiday Monday, GNR640 actually had a live morning and afternoon show on Turkey Day.

Peter Shurman was doing fill-in during the AM shift, while Alex Pierson was live for Oakley on the afternoon show.

I'm sure some here will see this as a waste of time and talent on a traditionally lower-than-normal listening day, but I was happy to hear something that wasn't a rerun on a day that was otherwise filled with a giant sucking sound during the other dayparts. (People coming back from closing their cottages up north might also welcome something current.)

So to the folks at 640, whom I've criticized in the past, thank you. It was nice to actually hear original programming on what is seemingly a day off for everyone else in the biz. I hope you do this on every stat. 

October 12, 2020 7:06 pm  #2

Re: A Radio Thanksgiving Surprise

One drawback to the live afternoon show - Alex Pierson filled in for Oakley starting at 3 PM. Then, after a half hour of Global News at 6, she was back on a reroll with some old segments in her regular timeslot. That show runs until 10 PM, minus 45 mins. or so for the paid Employment Hour show on Monday.

Which means that Pierson was essentially on for just over 5 1/2 hours almost in a row. Even if you're a fan, that's a lot of one voice for so long.