sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 11, 2020 8:49 pm  #1

Veteran Game Show Host Dies At 93

I first saw Tom Kennedy on a regular basis hosting one of my favourite game shows, You Don't Say, back on NBC in the early 60s. (His sign off used to go, "Remember, it's not what you say that counts, it's what you don't say.") He hosted a lot of other shows since then, so I was saddened to see that the brother of Jack Narz, another game show host, has officially signed off for the last time. He made it to 93, a pretty good run. 

Tom Kennedy, ‘Name That Tune’ Host, Dies at 93  

And by the way, I recently watched a Zoom-style podcast featuring Peter Marshall, the original and best host of the Hollywood Squares. He's 94 years old(!) and looks and sounds absolutely amazing. He revealed that someone found hundreds if not thousands of old "Squares" tapes thought long lost to history. But they'd have to pay him royalties to show them anywhere, so for now, they remain locked up in a vault somewhere, a terrific bit of TV history being delayed by a contract dispute all these years later. 

October 11, 2020 10:01 pm  #2

Re: Veteran Game Show Host Dies At 93

As for Peter Marshall, it Kind of reminds me of when Monty Hall, in his 90s at the time, appeared for a special episode (the 50th anniversary?) of Let's Make a Deal.  He treated everyone to a masterclass on how to host "his" show.

I fondly remember Tom Kennedy.  Brings back memories of watching game shows as a kid in the nice cool basement family room of the house (air conditioning?  year right!) during summer vacation.

October 15, 2020 2:08 pm  #3

Re: Veteran Game Show Host Dies At 93

Tom Kennedy was one of the good ones and Peter Marshall - while not really a game show host per se - was perfect for "Squares." But to me the greatest all time game show host had to be Bill Cullen. Funny when he needed to be, serious at other times, he was an absolute master at the craft no matter how crazy the show he hosted. 

Not sure how many know this, but Cullen had polio as a kid and it left him with a very pronounced limp. That's why, if you ever see one of his shows on any of the cable outlets, you'll notice he NEVER walks out on stage, but is sitting in his chair when he's introduced. He's the only game show host I know of who never made an entrance. 

The Bill Cullen Archive

[img]https://static.wixstatic.com/media/a8c529_e3bac87a13204d31b6ef3fa965f1863e~mv2.jpg/v1/fill/w_298,h_323,al_c,q_80,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/eyeguesscolorized_edited.webp[/img]