sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 24, 2020 7:35 pm  #1

Why You Shouldn’t Believe Your Eyes On This New TV Game Show

Normally, I don’t watch game shows, but because there have been so few new TV episodes thanks to the pandemic, I was curious about an original program called “I Can See Your Voice” that aired on Fox and Global Wednesday night.

It was pretty awful and I won’t waste any more time on it again. But there was one thing that happened in the last 5 seconds that really made me sit up and take notice. It was your typical “life and death decision” money game, with endless attempts at ratcheting up tension.

Throughout the show, they kept cutting away to a noisy audience that were shown cheering, gnawing on their hands, screaming approval or shaking their heads with worry, as the contestant tried to decide what to do with huge money on the line.

But in the very end credits, which went by like the Concorde and I had to freeze frame to see, there was this advisory, just before it went to the final production logo:   

“Due to health restrictions, visuals of audience featured in this episode included pre-taped shots, as well as shots from other FAE studio shows.”

So all of those tension-inducing cutaways were, essentially, fake. I know TV shows sweeten things like this all the time in post production, like canned laughter in comedy, but this was at least supposed to be real. It wasn't even from the same show!

It just seems dishonest in a genre that once went through its own scandals for faking things. Admittedly, it didn’t affect the outcome, but I think they owed it to viewers to let them know and not try to hide it in the last five seconds on a credit roll no one could possibly read. I don’t know why, but it bugged me and it seems sort of unethical.

September 24, 2020 9:40 pm  #2

Re: Why You Shouldn’t Believe Your Eyes On This New TV Game Show

I missed it, but I'm glad I did now. One less show to watch. 
THANK-YOU!

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 24, 2020 9:48 pm  #3

You are now realising that these shows are heavily fabricated?

Bless your hearts.

September 24, 2020 11:12 pm  #4

Chrisphen wrote:

You are now realising that these shows are heavily fabricated?

Bless your hearts.

Of course they are. But faking a live audience? That's a new one, even for someone as jaded and wise to the ways of showbiz trickery as I usually am. I'll give them this, though. It was so well edited that if I hadn't gone back to that final credit in freeze frame, l never would have known. Somehow, fooling an audience with a fake audience just makes it that much worse.

September 25, 2020 8:33 am  #5

Any word on how "I can see your voice" is paying their prize money to contestants?

Here's how NBC/AGT is paying their "Million dollar" winnershttps://ca.rogers.yahoo.com/style/americas-got-talent-winner-brandon-141200895.html 

September 25, 2020 9:47 am  #6

I've always wondered about The Masked Singer.

I find it a bit hard to believe that the person in the suit during the performance is the actual singer.  One would think the acoustics inside a suit would be rather hollow.  I wouldn't be surprised if the performances were all pre-recorded with someone else (much lower priced talent) actually in the suit.  

It's import to know that the actual time between the announcement of who "lost" that week and removal of the mask is actually a couple of hours.  That would allow time to get the celebrity into the studio and into the costume.

And then, there's Survivor.  There have been a few articles suggesting a fair amount of fraternizing between contestants and the production crew during shooting.

One thing I always keep at the back of my mind is that when I watch shows like this, I just suspend reality and go for the ride for 30-60 minutes.  Wish I would have learned that as a kid.  I would have enjoyed the Roadrunner cartoons so much more. 

October 5, 2020 9:15 pm  #7

When Big Brother is supposed to air on Global, but CBS has Football, I'm guessing Global can air pretty much air anything they want as filler from 8pm until 10PM 

They went with two hours of I can see your voice.
Does this mean that show is doing well?  

Last edited by Radiowiz (October 5, 2020 11:27 pm)

October 5, 2020 11:35 pm  #8

Global could have aired Big Brother at 8:00 (it wasn't a live episode) but chose to delay until 10, hoping to keep the CBS simulcast no doubt. Unfortunately for them, the football game ended early and CBS started Big Brother at 9:50... Global scrambled and got it on their network a few minutes later but missed the simulcast and by starting it before their promoted 10:00 air time managed to piss off fans of the show who missed the first 5 - 8 minutes of the show. Way to go Global. Not quite as embarrassing as more than 2 hours of blank screens on CTV channels, but still.

October 6, 2020 1:10 am  #9

Reality tv = Unreality tv

same cake, different shape

Thanks RA, I've read about that show on Twitter, it's good to know it's as bad as I thought it was.

It's been over a year since I've watched any television, Bruce was right...

I like Peter the K's Roadrunner mention.

Maybe we just ignore the idiot box programming and embrace old school escapism.. watch tv shows from when we were kids and grownup favorites... Bugs and Wile E. Coyote cartoons and Star Trek, Law and Order, Mad Men, whatever floats your boat until the world finally rights itself.

Last edited by betaylored (October 6, 2020 1:52 am)