sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 2, 2020 1:08 am  #1

Trump has Covid

MSNBC broke it first just before 1 am. CNN went to CNN International and now they are back in New York with Don Lemon. Fox has also gone live. Nothing on the Canadian channels. 

October 2, 2020 1:43 am  #2

Re: Trump has Covid

NBC and ABC have broken in to programming on the main networks.  CBS hadn't when I watched, and Fox doesn't have the ability to break in easily as the main network doesn't have a national news operation and the local stations function independently after 10 pm.
Edit: The main network has joined Fox News Channel but it took over 80 minutes.

Last edited by Prod Guy (October 2, 2020 2:40 am)

October 2, 2020 4:37 am  #3

Nice timing.
I'm sure it's all a part of his evil ways to stay elected.
Now he can say "Folks! I'm not dead! So you won't be dead! Vote for me!". 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 2, 2020 7:30 am  #4

Locally, I turned on NT1010 at 3 AM and heard the news. To their credit, a station that is usually on autopilot in the middle of the night had switched to MSNBC audio, which I think went on until local programming came back at 5 AM. (Lucky for them, it happened on a weekday, when the morning crew is in early to prep, so it was easy to make the change. I can only wonder what might have happened had the story broken at 1 o'clock AM Sunday morning.)

Meanwhile, Corus had its live overnight show going, so it was a no-brainer what they would talk about.

And of course, it dominated the first five minutes or so of every newscast on 680 News.

All in all, considering how overnights are often a radio wasteland in this city, I thought they all served their listeners as best as they could.

October 2, 2020 8:45 am  #5

One quick criticism of the locals - GNR640's Greg Brady did an interview yesterday with an expert looking at the presidential race. It was 15-20 minutes long and he decided to play it anyway, even though he admitted the story has vastly changed since he talked to the guest - namely, that Trump has the virus. 

He chose to put it on in the 8-8:30 AM timeslot, prime time for a morning show. But without the latest news, it was pointless, because there was no virus angle. And it wound up being a bit of a waste of airtime. I suspect they'd budgeted for it in the show's run time and had nothing to replace it with. But it would be like checking your lottery ticket against the draw from a year ago. Or reading last week's forecast after a tornado passes through.

IMHO, I don't think they should have run it.

October 2, 2020 9:06 am  #6

A comment on Twitter had me chuckling - along the lines that he will drop out of the race and have his brother Doug Trump take his place.

October 2, 2020 10:03 am  #7

Radiowiz wrote:

Nice timing.
I'm sure it's all a part of his evil ways to stay elected.
Now he can say "Folks! I'm not dead! So you won't be dead! Vote for me!". 

Not sure that faking this would be any advantage. Anyone with half a brain knows that it impacts different people in different ways and more people will be afraid to go to the rallies now. A perfectly asymptomatic person can be a deadly carrier to another. The supreme court nomination also goes into a pause b/c his nominee was with him. I hope he will be ok but right now I wld say it's to early to tell. Amy Cony Barrett has tested negative now but the incubation period can be up to 14 days.

Also at this point Trmp's condition is described as "mildly symtomatic" . He is old and may have other underlying conditions. Not sure how accurate that info is about "mildly sympomatic."

Last edited by Fitz (October 2, 2020 10:08 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

October 2, 2020 10:10 am  #8

Considering that he knew the seriousness of the virus as far back as February and downplayed it (supposedly not to alarm Americans but who really believes that), all I had to say last night was "Karma is a real bitch, isn't it?"  I personally hope he gets a tube down the throat so he knows what 200,000 other Americans had to endure due to his incompetence and selfishness.

October 2, 2020 12:09 pm  #9

I went to they right leaning politics site Real Clear Politics  and saw that they have blanked the betting odds they list for the election. Day before yesterday Trump had maybe 45 % odds. Today it's blank. The hyper link does work which goes into all the betting organizations and Trump's aggregate odds are just above 39% now.Election 2020BidenTrumpSpread

RCP National Average Biden +7.2 Top Latest Betting Odds----

Last edited by Fitz (October 2, 2020 12:11 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:

October 2, 2020 12:10 pm  #10

in my opinion, this is a major pothole in the trump campaign trail (especially when it comes to the "undecided" vote). it brings a long lasting spotlight on an issue the trump campaign folks would love to avoid (the handling of the pandemic). it also displays how trump's personal actions (towards social distancing, mask wearing, etc.) put him (the president) at risk thus putting the country at risk. i don't see any positive spin (for the republicans). none...zip...nadda.

October 2, 2020 12:22 pm  #11

Fitz wrote:

Not sure that faking this would be any advantage. 

I don't think he's faking anything. I just found the timing interesting. He ignored too many facts, caught it, and now what?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 2, 2020 12:28 pm  #12

This has nothing to do with radio or TV, per se, but it sure is interesting. 

What happens if a presidential candidate is incapacitated or dies before the election, inauguration? 

October 2, 2020 12:31 pm  #13

There is a possibility of a sympathy vote for Trump.  If he gets sick, or very sick, and recovers there is a possibility of this helping him somewhat on election night.

On the other side Trump and his crew tend to exaggerate and lie.  They could overstate or inflate his illness to make the president appear more vulnerable and the underdog.  Then if Trump recovers even if he had only minor symptoms, the president will be seen as strong and a winner. This again could help him with votes.

The Democrats and "mainstream" media will need to be careful in the next few days. To lecture, gloat or imply that Trump had this coming is the wrong approach and could backfire badly. 

October 2, 2020 12:59 pm  #14

RadioActive wrote:

What happens if a presidential candidate is incapacitated or dies before the election, inauguration? 

It happened in 1872. Democratic candidate Horace Greeley died after losing the election to Gen. Grant., but before the inauguration. Greeley's 65 electoral votes were divided among four others.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

October 2, 2020 3:07 pm  #15

This could be a hoax to deflect from upcoming bad news.

Edit: if you haven't watched 'The Death of Stalin' you might want to. It's a fascinating comedy.

Last edited by Chrisphen (October 2, 2020 4:09 pm)

October 2, 2020 5:10 pm  #16

paterson1 wrote:

There is a possibility of a sympathy vote for Trump.  If he gets sick, or very sick, and recovers there is a possibility of this helping him somewhat on election night.

On the other side Trump and his crew tend to exaggerate and lie.  They could overstate or inflate his illness to make the president appear more vulnerable and the underdog.  Then if Trump recovers even if he had only minor symptoms, the president will be seen as strong and a winner. This again could help him with votes.

The Democrats and "mainstream" media will need to be careful in the next few days. To lecture, gloat or imply that Trump had this coming is the wrong approach and could backfire badly. 

I don't believe the sympathy factor will move anyone beyond his base ( many of whom belive that the virus is fake news) and they were always with him. He's downplayed the virus since the start, Called it a Democratic party hoax. In the last debate he was mocking Biden  for  over-masking  ( He must be wishing now that he had worn one more often). He's held super spreader rallies.

Gloating is not the right thing to do but someone above said Karma and it feels like that.

Last edited by Fitz (October 2, 2020 5:14 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:

October 2, 2020 5:59 pm  #17

All the news networks are on it. Trump is about to be taken on Marine One to Walter Reed Medical Hospital. 

Cool Airchecks and More:

October 2, 2020 6:07 pm  #18

You do realize the vast majority survive, right? Even at his age, it’s most likely he recovers.

October 2, 2020 6:09 pm  #19

Radio111 wrote:

You do realize the vast majority survive, right? Even at his age, it’s most likely he recovers.

Absolutely but the news is not nothing. BTW The Biden campaign has pulled all negative ads and Trump has his detractors but people do want him to recover.

Last edited by Fitz (October 2, 2020 6:12 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:

October 2, 2020 6:11 pm  #20

I never said it isn’t- it certainly is news. There is no reason to speculate on whether he can still run or be President. He’s not dead and not on life support (that we are aware of). The New York Times is acting like he’s on his deathbed.

October 2, 2020 9:02 pm  #21

grilled.cheese wrote:

I've been COVID free since '83

He needs to switch from the Quarter Pounders to Grilled Cheese!

October 2, 2020 10:37 pm  #22

I know I am commenting a lot of this thread but I hate it when people don't listen to science and reason and go about their merry way. Seems that the Amy Coney Barrett nomination meeting last Saturday was a "spreader: event. Senator Mike Lee was there hugging people and he has the virus. Senator Tom Tillis has tested positive. Just learned that Kellyanne Conway, also at the event, has tested positive.

I read about a right winger who said "is it not odd that so many republicans are getting the virus and not Democrats.". Yes the conspiracy theories are bound to come. Less Democrats get the virus b/c more of them follow the medical guidelines. Yes it's as simple as that.

Cool Airchecks and More:

October 3, 2020 1:45 am  #23

Radio111 wrote:

He has access to the best medical care in the US, and it's likely he'll survive BUT he could suffer from a possible lifetime of chronic conditions that have affected other COVID survivors (i.e. the "long-haulers" as they are called). That can include brain fog/dementia, constant fatigue, breathing difficulties, constant coughing, migraines, and more.  

At his age especially and his lousy physical condition, I doubt that he will come out of it and return to his normal self. 

October 3, 2020 6:45 am  #24

Media Observer wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

I've been COVID free since '83

He needs to switch from the Quarter Pounders to Grilled Cheese! 

If you don't eat yer meat you can't have any pudding; how can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

October 3, 2020 11:12 am  #25

RadioActive wrote:

The New York Times has a good article on this...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/02/us/politics/trump-succession-constitution.html

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

October 5, 2020 7:25 am  #26

regarding what's been said about Trump getting sympathy support due to the virus. I don't believe that riding in a SUV when you should be quarantined and putting two secret service people at risk in a sealed SUV is good optics and will elicit any sympathy. I gues the intention of the photo op was to show that he is strong and resilient but putting others at risk depite PPE is unbelievably stupid. The only justification for this would be if he is now negative but if that is the case, the White House, should have come out and said that before the ride.

Last edited by Fitz (October 5, 2020 8:21 am)

Cool Airchecks and More: