sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 28, 2020 8:29 pm  #1


Is It Weird For CFRB To Carry First U.S. Presidential Debate Live?

It's likely to be of high interest, but should a Canadian station be carrying a U.S. presidential debate in its entirety?

The question comes after NT1010 confirmed it would be carrying the inevitably weird clash between Donald Trump and Joe Biden on Tuesday night. It will certainly play on a ton of American stations. I'm not sure 'RB carries every candidates' debate when there are elections in Canada. Is there anything weird about an outlet north of the border giving a solely American political event such extensive coverage? Or is whatever pulls in an audience fair game?

 

September 28, 2020 8:54 pm  #2


Re: Is It Weird For CFRB To Carry First U.S. Presidential Debate Live?

There's an old Polish saying that literally translates to "Not my circus, not my monkeys."  The U.S. presidency is not something of my doing and there is nothing I can do to change it.  So quite honestly, I just don't pay attention to it.  I am fascinated by how so many people follow it when, quite frankly, we have our own issues on this side of the gate that we do, well theoretically,  have some control over.
 

 

September 28, 2020 9:00 pm  #3


Re: Is It Weird For CFRB To Carry First U.S. Presidential Debate Live?

This is one of GNR640's Alex Pierson's pet peeves. She complains about how much the CBC seems to be obsessed with everything Donald Trump and why people here seem to know more about what's going on there than on this side of the border.

Case in point: the attention being paid to the new U.S. Supreme Court nominee. Many Canadians already know who Amy Coney Barrett is. How many, she asks, could name even a single current Canadian Supreme Court justice? She rests her case. 

     Thread Starter
 

September 28, 2020 9:09 pm  #4


Re: Is It Weird For CFRB To Carry First U.S. Presidential Debate Live?

Peter the K wrote:

There's an old Polish saying that literally translates to "Not my circus, not my monkeys."  The U.S. presidency is not something of my doing and there is nothing I can do to change it.  So quite honestly, I just don't pay attention to it.  I am fascinated by how so many people follow it when, quite frankly, we have our own issues on this side of the gate that we do, well theoretically,  have some control over.
 

There is also a Polish saying of "If you want to beat a dog, you can find a stick" and "it's easy to get into shit but it's hard to get out of it"

 

September 28, 2020 9:48 pm  #5


Re: Is It Weird For CFRB To Carry First U.S. Presidential Debate Live?

radio is entertainment, and hasn't the american socio-political situation become the HBO of news as spectacle?  as sad and pathetic as it is in 2020 around the world.

Last edited by splunge (September 28, 2020 9:49 pm)

 

September 28, 2020 10:22 pm  #6


Re: Is It Weird For CFRB To Carry First U.S. Presidential Debate Live?

RadioActive wrote:

This is one of GNR640's Alex Pierson's pet peeves. She complains about how much the CBC seems to be obsessed with everything Donald Trump and why people here seem to know more about what's going on there than on this side of the border.

Case in point: the attention being paid to the new U.S. Supreme Court nominee. Many Canadians already know who Amy Coney Barrett is. How many, she asks, could name even a single current Canadian Supreme Court justice? She rests her case. 

She rests her case?  What case, she doesn't have one?  CBC doesn't give Trump that much airtime.   What is Pierson talking about?  Her network and Corus talk stations are going on endlessly about Trump and have for the past 4 years. 

CBC News Network is covering the essentials and the debate which is logical.  I am looking forward to their coverage tomorrow prior and after the debate. CBC News Network had the best coverage of the Republican convention and the most interesting in my opinion.   CBC obsessed with Trump? Exaggerate much Alex?  Take a look at your own talk show.

Oh, and how many Canadians could name a single current Canadian SC Justice...please.  What a stupid comment. Amy Coney Barrett is only known now because she, and the process of appointing a new judge, is tied into the US election thanks to Donald Trump. Yet another distracting side bar issue during the election campaign that the US public doesn't need right now. 

A Supreme Court justice here does not go through the showbizz, side show, insanity, rigmarole that Supreme Court judges go through in the US.  And when there is a new appointment here the individual and story isn't the top news item for weeks. And our news media does a very poor job explaining how our legal system and parliamentary government works.  I think it is Pierson who knows more about the US style of government and is more comfortable speaking on that.

Maybe she hasn't clued in or understand that Canada has a different justice system, differences in the way the Supreme Court is run; the way that a Supreme Court Justice is appointed?  
                                                                                                                                                                         
But I am sure Alex really feels the way we appoint members of the supreme court is inferior, archaic, not as democratic and not a rigorous. Yes the average Canadian couldn't name a Supreme Court Chief Justice right now. And that be important because?   Can the average Canadian name one Senator, or who the third prime minister was?

Newstalk 1010 covering the debate weird?  No, and why would it be, they are a news station.  Everyone will be watching TV anyway.
 

 

September 28, 2020 10:42 pm  #7


Re: Is It Weird For CFRB To Carry First U.S. Presidential Debate Live?

I think you may have missed her point. I'm guessing you don't listen to her show on a regular basis. She makes it a point to almost NEVER talk about Trump or even mention him. She complains that Canadians seem obsessed with the U.S president and she only mentions him when there's a huge story that deals with him - hence the Supreme Court yarn. And even then, she doesn't dwell on it for long.

You may disagree, but she laments that many Canadian news stations - she mentions CBC Radio - seem to talk about him almost as much as Canadian issues and she worries that the average Canuck may know more about the U.S system than our own.

But when it comes to Trump, she rarely talks about him at all.

     Thread Starter
 

September 28, 2020 10:59 pm  #8


Re: Is It Weird For CFRB To Carry First U.S. Presidential Debate Live?

@paterson1.... you came out of the box with your gloves off... a little aggressive there, maybe?  I believe Canada's third prime minister was John A McDonald.... i didn't even need to google it.  unless i'm wrong, in which case i guess i should have!

Anyway, I know nothing about Alex, but i do agree that there is a significant systemic difference between the two countries and how the courts operate.  In fact, last nite i actually had to look up how term limits work for our supremos. 

cbc is hardly "always talking about trump", at least on their website and news network.  "obsessed" is  fox-level hyperbole.

 

September 28, 2020 11:37 pm  #9


Re: Is It Weird For CFRB To Carry First U.S. Presidential Debate Live?

I listen to her from time to  time, how much she talks about Trump I have no idea.  Besides I said it was Corus talk stations that went on about Trump, not her in particular. 

Your post mentioned that she singled out CBC as being obsessed with Trump.  So now she actually said, many Canadian news stations and CBC radio?  Does she include Corus talk radio in this group I wonder?
Roy Green's national show on Corus seems to talk about Trump every week, usually with a guest. 

Her thesis is still incorrect. The fact that the average Canadian can't name a Supreme Court Justice, and  more likely to know Ruth Ginsberg or the new appointee doesn't mean they know more about the US system at all. They just know the names because both have been in the news. And thanks to Trump he has made this part of the election coverage now.




 

 

September 28, 2020 11:48 pm  #10


Re: Is It Weird For CFRB To Carry First U.S. Presidential Debate Live?

splunge wrote:

@paterson1.... you came out of the box with your gloves off... a little aggressive there, maybe?  I believe Canada's third prime minister was John A McDonald.... i didn't even need to google it.  unless i'm wrong, in which case i guess i should have!

Anyway, I know nothing about Alex, but i do agree that there is a significant systemic difference between the two countries and how the courts operate.  In fact, last nite i actually had to look up how term limits work for our supremos. 

cbc is hardly "always talking about trump", at least on their website and news network.  "obsessed" is  fox-level hyperbole.

My apology if I charged out of the gate too much.  I don't like news people who mislead or exaggerate a point or tell just part of a fact and leave out information.  I respect balance and fairness, I have no time for bias and one sided misinformation, whether it be from the right or left. 

 

September 29, 2020 12:44 am  #11


Re: Is It Weird For CFRB To Carry First U.S. Presidential Debate Live?

The way the Canadian media covers Trump you'd think he was the most powerful man in the world, the leader of our biggest trading partner and next door neighbour, that our economies were somehow linked, that he had put tariffs on our goods, and that a large chunk of our population spent nearly half the year living in the country he runs.
 

Last edited by Prod Guy (September 29, 2020 12:50 am)

 

September 29, 2020 6:18 am  #12


Re: Is It Weird For CFRB To Carry First U.S. Presidential Debate Live?

Actually, I have nothing against 1010 running the debate. There's huge interest, especially in the first one, and there seems little doubt it's going to be a political train wreck. Which kind of makes it a must hear if you're not near a TV.

Speaking of the CBC, it turns out Radio One will also be carrying the entire thing from 9-11 Eastern. I'm guessing 640 will stick with regular programming.

     Thread Starter
 

September 29, 2020 8:43 am  #13


Re: Is It Weird For CFRB To Carry First U.S. Presidential Debate Live?

'RB needs to decide what it's doing about this coverage. So far, on Tuesday morning, I've heard a promo from one of their announcers who claimed the debate as a "NT1010 exclusive." Not quite - as mentioned above, the CBC is airing it here on radio. 

Then one of their newscasters told listeners that coverage begins at 8:30 PM, while all morning long they've been touting the special as starting at 8, a half an hour earlier. 

Hopefully, they'll decide before the debate itself actually begins at 9! 

     Thread Starter
 

September 29, 2020 9:48 am  #14


Re: Is It Weird For CFRB To Carry First U.S. Presidential Debate Live?

paterson1 wrote:

splunge wrote:

@paterson1.... you came out of the box with your gloves off... a little aggressive there, maybe?  I believe Canada's third prime minister was John A McDonald.... i didn't even need to google it.  unless i'm wrong, in which case i guess i should have!

Anyway, I know nothing about Alex, but i do agree that there is a significant systemic difference between the two countries and how the courts operate.  In fact, last nite i actually had to look up how term limits work for our supremos. 

cbc is hardly "always talking about trump", at least on their website and news network.  "obsessed" is  fox-level hyperbole.

My apology if I charged out of the gate too much.  I don't like news people who mislead or exaggerate a point or tell just part of a fact and leave out information.  I respect balance and fairness, I have no time for bias and one sided misinformation, whether it be from the right or left. 

I was taking a shot at you in jest.  hyperbole and bias grind my gears as well.  We should even lament the fact we have to have this discussion... but let's face it.  in these times, audiences prefer to interact within their own echo chambers, and some media outlets would rather pander to that than be objective.

 

September 29, 2020 12:51 pm  #15


Re: Is It Weird For CFRB To Carry First U.S. Presidential Debate Live?

Prod Guy wrote:

The way the Canadian media covers Trump you'd think he was the most powerful man in the world, the leader of our biggest trading partner and next door neighbour, that our economies were somehow linked, that he had put tariffs on our goods, and that a large chunk of our population spent nearly half the year living in the country he runs.
 

https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons3/wink.png

 

 

September 29, 2020 1:23 pm  #16


Re: Is It Weird For CFRB To Carry First U.S. Presidential Debate Live?

CKTB is also covering the debate, likely using Toronto's originated coverage. I wonder if this is on the entire Bell Talk network, at least in the Eastern Time Zone. 

     Thread Starter
 

September 29, 2020 2:46 pm  #17


Re: Is It Weird For CFRB To Carry First U.S. Presidential Debate Live?

We live just short of 80 miles from the border.  Of course its news to Canadians.  Everyone can't get to a TV tonight; so good on RB.

 

September 29, 2020 5:35 pm  #18


Re: Is It Weird For CFRB To Carry First U.S. Presidential Debate Live?

The Amy Coney Barrett supreme court decision is important to everyone not the least Canada.

Her nomination will give the conservatives a 6 to 3 majority. Obama care may tossed or severely weakened and many people  could lose their health care. The powerful will get more powerful.

Roe V Wade is endangered even though the majority view in the US is to protect abortion rights, a very strong and fervent religious minority keeps talking about the sanctity of life and at the same time talks and hypes up war and conflict with other religions.

The hypocrisy of Mitch McConnell and the Republicans on nominating someone to the supreme court is well documented and their words of not taking up Obama's pick 9 months before an election should be remembered.






 

Last edited by Fitz (September 29, 2020 5:36 pm)


Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/
 

September 29, 2020 7:03 pm  #19


Re: Is It Weird For CFRB To Carry First U.S. Presidential Debate Live?

If Roe v. Wade is overturned, each state would be allowed to make their own decisions on abortion, like it was prior.

Many lost their healthcare when Obamacare was passed, so that’s not a good argument.

 

September 29, 2020 9:45 pm  #20


Re: Is It Weird For CFRB To Carry First U.S. Presidential Debate Live?

The debate was a "shit show" due mostly to you know you being agitated and constantly interrupting.


Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/
 

September 29, 2020 10:19 pm  #21


Re: Is It Weird For CFRB To Carry First U.S. Presidential Debate Live?

Fitz wrote:

The debate was a "shit show" due mostly to you know you being agitated and constantly interrupting.

https://publish.twitter.com/?query=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fgtconway3d%2Fstatus%2F1311123406671273985&widget=Tweet

https://i.postimg.cc/Sx0ZWHRs/George-Conway-Shit-Show.jpg

 

September 29, 2020 10:19 pm  #22


Re: Is It Weird For CFRB To Carry First U.S. Presidential Debate Live?

Chris Wallace could be the worst moderator in history. I knew the debate would not be of any real substance. Both of the invited candidates didn’t solve a thing.

 

September 29, 2020 10:53 pm  #23


Re: Is It Weird For CFRB To Carry First U.S. Presidential Debate Live?

g121 wrote:

Fitz wrote:

The debate was a "shit show" due mostly to you know you being agitated and constantly interrupting.

https://publish.twitter.com/?query=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fgtconway3d%2Fstatus%2F1311123406671273985&widget=Tweet

https://i.postimg.cc/Sx0ZWHRs/George-Conway-Shit-Show.jpg

that pretty much sums it up.  btw, nice add of a twitter screen cap.  haven't seen that on this board before.

 

September 30, 2020 12:43 am  #24


Re: Is It Weird For CFRB To Carry First U.S. Presidential Debate Live?

Radio111 wrote:

Chris Wallace could be the worst moderator in history. I knew the debate would not be of any real substance. Both of the invited candidates didn’t solve a thing.

He fact checked and tried to restore order.  I thought he tried his very best.  

 

September 30, 2020 6:18 am  #25


Re: Is It Weird For CFRB To Carry First U.S. Presidential Debate Live?

He didn’t do as much fact checking as he should have. Most of his complaints were to Trump, yet rarely said anything when Biden interrupted. A good moderator would have been fair to both sides. Wallace clearly favors Biden. There was a point where he was even helping him along. That’s a moderator no no.
When it did get testy (and we all knew it would), I would have ordered the sound man to shut off both mics, then chime in to bring order.

They really should have moderators who are unregistered with either of the major parties, that way it could be easier to be impartial.

 

September 30, 2020 9:00 am  #26


Re: Is It Weird For CFRB To Carry First U.S. Presidential Debate Live?

Radio111 wrote:

.. Most of his complaints were to Trump, yet rarely said anything when Biden interrupted. A good moderator would have been fair to both sides ...

What debate were you watching?  Who did 95% of the interrupting .. Trump.  So it was totally appropriate Wallace asked, pleaded with Trump to follow the debate rules he agreed to.  Wallace tried to maintain control but with Trump that's pretty much impossible.  They really need to cut of the mike when someone continually interrupts.  I feel sorry for anyone who thinks Trump is a leader.
 

 

September 30, 2020 9:08 am  #27


Re: Is It Weird For CFRB To Carry First U.S. Presidential Debate Live?

Radio111 wrote:

When it did get testy (and we all knew it would), I would have ordered the sound man to shut off both mics, then chime in to bring order.

My understanding of how this works is that both sides agree to a specific set of rules before the debate and they're supposed to be adhered to. (Of course they weren't on Tuesday night.)

Neither side would likely ever agree to allow their mics to be turned off and unless it's part of the initial understanding, it just wouldn't happen.

I agree, though - I was thinking the same thing as they were constantly talking over each other. I wish someone would just cut the mics and let us hear a complete answer.  

     Thread Starter
 

September 30, 2020 12:29 pm  #28


Re: Is It Weird For CFRB To Carry First U.S. Presidential Debate Live?

Biden did plenty of interrupting and some name calling. Yes Trump did most of the former, but Wallace rarely called out Biden when he did the same. It was obvious Chris Wallace had a side in this, instead of being completely neutral.

I do think two minute responses, with no real opportunity to rebut (at least according to the rules) is a terrible idea.

 

September 30, 2020 1:36 pm  #29


Re: Is It Weird For CFRB To Carry First U.S. Presidential Debate Live?

Chris Wallace not completely neutral? To his credit I think he was doing his best, but Trump kept interrupting both him and Biden.  And Wallace was absolutely correct in telling the president when he was trying to change the topic and not answering questions.   Last nights debate was an insult and embarrassment to Americans who turned in to watch.  Two or three times, it looked like Trump was debating with both Joe Biden and Chris Wallace. 

Some conservative pundits are trying to make like it was both Donald Trump and Joe Biden's performance for last nights mess.  Sorry, no sale.  Trump was the problem because he thinks rules don't apply to him.

He should have been told to shut up more than once. He also should have been told to grow up.  Trump is used to being the boss and always getting his own way.  He doesn't like rules, people who disagree, and being told what to do.

This debate was seen around the world last night, and the world was laughing and shaking their head wondering how this pathological liar and immature little boy could some how be president of the US.  Joe Biden won the debate by a landslide last night, anyone who can't see that has blinders on and living in denial.

Chris Wallace didn't have as many issues with Biden because when he told the former vp to let the president finish, Biden would be quiet.  When he did the same with Trump, the prez wouldn't stop interrupting.

Let's hope for America's sake, this dark unhappy time will come to an end in November, and the light and happier days return.

 

 

September 30, 2020 2:09 pm  #30


Re: Is It Weird For CFRB To Carry First U.S. Presidential Debate Live?

paterson1 wrote:

Chris Wallace not completely neutral? To his credit I think he was doing his best, but Trump kept interrupting both him and Biden.  And Wallace was absolutely correct in telling the president when he was trying to change the topic and not answering questions.   Last nights debate was an insult and embarrassment to Americans who turned in to watch.  Two or three times, it looked like Trump was debating with both Joe Biden and Chris Wallace. 

Some conservative pundits are trying to make like it was both Donald Trump and Joe Biden's performance for last nights mess.  Sorry, no sale.  Trump was the problem because he thinks rules don't apply to him.

He should have been told to shut up more than once. He also should have been told to grow up.  Trump is used to being the boss and always getting his own way.  He doesn't like rules, people who disagree, and being told what to do.

This debate was seen around the world last night, and the world was laughing and shaking their head wondering how this pathological liar and immature little boy could some how be president of the US.  Joe Biden won the debate by a landslide last night, anyone who can't see that has blinders on and living in denial.

Chris Wallace didn't have as many issues with Biden because when he told the former vp to let the president finish, Biden would be quiet.  When he did the same with Trump, the prez wouldn't stop interrupting.

Let's hope for America's sake, this dark unhappy time will come to an end in November, and the light and happier days return.

 

Wallace is a registered Democrat by all reports- you don’t see that as biased?

What about Biden lying about the Green New Deal? He said he didn’t support it, then a minute later said he did and explained part of it. Before, he did agree with it, as is laid out in the Biden-Sanders agreement (which does exist).

No, Biden was not quiet all of the time.

It really doesn’t matter, because Harris would be the one running the US if Biden is elected. She even said that herself recently (the “Harris administration, together with Joe Biden” was her quote.)

Neither candidate won the debate because nothing of substance was solved or really explained. From your comments, it seems you are clearly biased towards Biden, which is your right.

Last edited by Radio111 (September 30, 2020 2:10 pm)