sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 28, 2020 2:52 pm  #1

Toy Mountain

In another thread, a comment was made about CFTO's Tom Brown, 'spokesman' for Toy Mountain, which got me wondering...

Perhaps this is completely off topic. Perhaps this is even verboten and will understand if the Mods delete the thread, however...

When I returned to the Toronto area about five years ago after a long, long absence, I was astonished by the airtime given to the Toy Mountain collection process and the amount that appears to be collected each year. I wondered if Toronto currently had a whole lot more "needy" people than when I had left. Surely they had collected enough toys to give every child in the Metro area, needy or otherwise, a little something. Or five.

I suppose I could rant about my youth... four feet of snow... uphill both ways... but that aside, define "needy".

Am I alone in being a Skeptical Scrooge? Is this a once-noble cause that has been turned into free-money for anyone who asks?

I am reminded of an old comedian's Christmas song...

Deck the halls with poison ivy,
Fa-la-la-la...
'Tis the season to be greedy,
Fa-la-la-la......"

September 28, 2020 4:26 pm  #2

Re: Toy Mountain

Toy Mountain is only one of many similar Christmas themed charities.  The Toronto Star has their annual Santa Claus Fund which has happened every year since 1906.  This one is even bigger than Toy Mountain.  Another would be the CP24/CHUM Christmas Wish which CHUM started around 1966.  McDonald's has had a toy drive for many years.

Does Toronto have a lot more needy kids?  Not sure but I know that the toy drives above all now go beyond Toronto and include the GTA.

Tom does come off as a bit of a huckster, but a jolly one!

September 28, 2020 4:30 pm  #3

Call me Scrooge.  But when Tom comes on with Toy Mountain, I change the channel.  Can't stand his screaming on air.

September 28, 2020 7:21 pm  #4

One of the most humbling Christmas experiences I had was visiting friends in Sudbury in the early sixties. One of the circle of friends was asked what he got for Christmas.

He explained that he didnt get anything this year. He had a number of brothers and sisters and it wasn't his turn.

Fast forward to Toy Mountain et al. From one extreme to the other.

Yours truly,

Scrooge.