sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 28, 2020 1:54 pm  #1

Rather Self Serving Article from CBC's Catherine Tait

One thing that I have noticed about many in Canadian media, especially news media, is our annoying habit of patting ourselves on the back.  

I believe if someone or some group wants to give you or your country a compliment, it is best to be gracious with a simple thank you, or how nice for you to say that.  Simple, done.

Here our media and even some Canadians feel it is necessary to be always telling people or other countries how nice, polite, tolerant, open minded, funny etc. etc. we are.  Isn't that tacky?  It looks to me to be a form of desperation, sort of a cry for recognition and attention.   If nobody notices, then we will tell them.  

And to make it even worse, often in the same breath we will then go on to smugly compare our niceness, politeness, tolerance etc. etc. to other countries (usually the US) and of course, we are always just a little better, and smarter in every way than the other guys.

Anyway, here is a self serving article from CBC prez. Catherine Tait, telling us why Schitt's Creek is so Canadian, and how a show like this could only produced here.  Please Catherine...let other's give out the comments and compliments about the show (and they have). It looks pretty bad when the head of CBC is telling everyone how wonderful we and the CBC are.  Enough of the patting ourselves on the back already!! 
https://www.thespec.com/opinion/contributors/2020/09/27/emmy-award-sweeping-schitts-creek-was-uniquely-canadian.html

September 28, 2020 2:58 pm  #2

Re: Rather Self Serving Article from CBC's Catherine Tait

Wings were the band that the Beatles could have been.