sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 23, 2020 10:34 am  #1

Lennon's Sons Interview McCartney In John Lennon 80th Birthday Special

There have been a ton of shows about John Lennon over the years, but this one looks pretty amazing. BBC Radio 2 will mark what would have been John Lennon’s 80th birthday with a major two part special on the legendary Beatle.

But instead of the usual music experts and talking heads, they’ve turned to the people who knew him best. The special will feature Paul McCartney, being interviewed by Sean and Julian Lennon, who will all contribute personal memories of the man and father they knew. I’m not sure that’s ever been done before.

Among the highlights the special promises:

-McCartney performs a snippet of a never-before-heard Beatles song called “Just Fun,” which he and Lennon wrote in the late 50s and admitted was too awful to put on vinyl.

-Recollections from both brothers talking publicly for the first time about their famous dad and when they realized as little kids that he was more than just their father. “They talk about their memories of finding out their dad was a Beatle, and not like everyone else’s dad, with Julian talking about seeing fans at the end of the garden each day when he was two or three years old growing up in England, and Sean recalling similar scenes outside their apartment building in New York,” according to a press release.

-McCartney's personal anecdotes about Julia Lennon, John's late mother, whose death in a car accident profoundly changed her son's life.

-Why the "Let It Be" era may not have been as fractious as everyone thinks. 

-Recollections from Elton John about how he was so influenced by the Beatles, he “cycled eight miles to buy a copy of “Sgt. Pepper,” and how he became Sean’s godfather.

The show airs from 9-10 PM local time (4-5 PM Toronto time) on Oct. 3 & 4 on BBC Radio 2, which is not geoblocked. It will be archived on their website for online listening for another 30 days afterwards. 

Much more here.

October 9, 2020 10:20 am  #2

Re: Lennon's Sons Interview McCartney In John Lennon 80th Birthday Special

On what would have been John Lennon's 80th birthday, the specials outlined above are now online and as advertised, not geoblocked. You can listen to them wherever you are without a VPN. But beware - the specials will only be available as of this posting (Friday Oct.. 9) for another 24 days. 

Not sure why, but I was surprised to hear that host Sean Lennon has no trace at all of an English accent. 

Well worth a listen if you were a Beatles fan. I'm looking at you, Mr. Donabie!

John Lennon at 80 Part 1  

John Lennon at 80 Part 2

There's also a host of other exclusive items about the late Beatle. Find them at the bottom of the page here.

October 10, 2020 11:26 am  #3

Are you lookin’ at me?  Are you lookin’ at me?

October 10, 2020 12:29 pm  #4

Ra, first thank you so much for those links to BBC.  Also; just listened to Julian Lennon interview where he talks about the Walls & Bridges album. He played on the track Ya Ya.  I interviewed Julian when I was at CKFM about that experience.

Of course I interviewed John on CHUM-FM when the album came first came out.  My eternal thanks to Ronnie Hawkins who told Lennon I was the one to interview him in Toronto. Lots of memories flooding back this morning.   Thanks again.

October 11, 2020 9:35 am  #5

Thanks, RA. That was very enjoyable. Sent me back to my Lennon catalogue for even more listening. Flawed human being? Certainly. I haven't met anyone who is not.

Musical genius? Does that even require an answer?

The best part was between Sean and Elton. Nice production.

October 11, 2020 9:59 am  #6

absolutely right no one is without flaws and even an avowed peace activist by 1969  could be politically incorrect in 1966:

Last edited by Fitz (October 11, 2020 9:59 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/