sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 22, 2020 3:13 pm  #1

Global Montreal Completes Switch To Toronto Based Anchors.

Tracy Tong will replace (broadcasting from Toronto) Jamie Orchard in Montreal.

As the article notes,  the on-air product is far from seamless.

https://blog.fagstein.com/2020/09/22/global-montreal-toronto-anchor/

September 22, 2020 4:26 pm  #2

Re: Global Montreal Completes Switch To Toronto Based Anchors.

I first noticed this trend on Global's noon newscast, when they'd have one - just one - report from their Quebec City bureau (not even Montreal!), and perhaps a clip of the Quebec Premier, followed by mostly Toronto stories. I can only assume no one in La Belle Province gives a merde about a Toronto fire or a shooting in a T.O. suburb. But that's what they see if they watch the 12 o'clock cast. And then Anthony Farnell gives weather for Toronto, Peterborough and Montreal. 

The problem with this approach is that it covers or satisfies neither city, and the fact that the 6 PM major (or 5:30) is pre-recorded is simply unconscionable. But I guess unless Tracy Tong has a twin and they won't hire anyone else, they have no other choice. 

It wasn't too long ago that news was not only sacrosanct for a TV station, it was also a money maker and a definer of their very identity. (To this day, I still hear people referring to CityNews as "Everywhere." They haven't really used it in years, but the branding was so strong, a lot of people still think it's in play.)

What a shame to treat news that way, as just something else that can be banked and replayed whenever it's convenient. I guess there's no more "new" in news anymore. And certainly, there's increasingly less "local" in local news, especially outside of Toronto.

Another reason why I rarely watch Global or City these days. A 6 PM major has to be local or it isn't really all that useful. I suppose in the end it's a self fulfilling prophecy. If you build it, they will come. If you import it from somewhere else, they won't. Now that Montrealers know their evening news is from mostly hated Toronto, this definitely won't improve their ratings. It might just have the opposite effect, especially with the sloppy production. 

September 22, 2020 6:04 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

It wasn't too long ago that news was not only sacrosanct for a TV station, it was also a money maker and a definer of their very identity. (To this day, I still hear people referring to CityNews as "Everywhere." They haven't really used it in years, but the branding was so strong, a lot of people still think it's in play.)

I come across folks from time to time, who believe CP24 is still a Citytv property.

Last edited by Media Observer (September 22, 2020 9:18 pm)

September 22, 2020 6:43 pm  #4

That's happened to me, too. Amazing how that branding has stuck, although it's been more than 10 years since City had control of it. I'm not sure if that means the former City folks did such a great job or CTV hasn't. 

September 22, 2020 9:22 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

That's happened to me, too. Amazing how that branding has stuck, although it's been more than 10 years since City had control of it. I'm not sure if that means the former City folks did such a great job or CTV hasn't. 

Not that it matters to Bell Media's bottom line...lol...but I've always been surprised since Day 1 of the takeover;  with the lack of rebranding of CP24.

September 22, 2020 9:49 pm  #6

Perhaps what's most stunning about this is that they show the CTV News at 6! It can't be more obvious. Yet still many think it's run by City. 

September 23, 2020 12:40 am  #7

RadioActive wrote:

Perhaps what's most stunning about this is that they show the CTV News at 6! It can't be more obvious. Yet still many think it's run by City. 

Many (who do not pay enough attention) still call it CityPulse 24. 
A name change to CTV Toronto 24 would be nice. (or something like that)
It makes good sense, since they also own their CTV National channel anyway.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 23, 2020 1:53 am  #8

RadioActive wrote:

(To this day, I still hear people referring to CityNews as "Everywhere." They haven't really used it in years, but the branding was so strong, a lot of people still think it's in play.)

I still refer to it as CityPULSE (CityNews is one of the most dullest, unimaginative names that they could've chosen, but quite frankly totally in line with how dull and unimaginative the entire station became once Moses left)