sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 21, 2020 8:33 pm  #1

Rebranding and Format Changes in Mid Western Ontario

In the past week or so was the launch of a new commercial radio station in Listowel ON.  Also the rebranding of Wingham's Classic Rock 94.5 to COOL FM.  And today at 12 noon saw the format and image change for MY FM radio in Goderich, Saugeen Shores and Kincardine to Shoreline Oldies.

The station which broadcasts on 95.5- 90.9- 99.7 will also be running Roger Ashby's Oldies program on Sunday mornings.  Shoreline Oldies sounds like it will be more of a classic hits station with mostly 70's-90's music with some 60's artists, but not the focus. 

Bayshore broadcasting is also planning to launch The Wave in Tobermory in the next 6 to 10 months which will be a rebroadcaster of the companies Port Elgin station.

Lots happening with radio in Mid West Ontario.
https://shorelinetoday.ca/2020/09/21/oh-my-a-new-radio-station-for-the-shoreline/

Last edited by paterson1 (September 21, 2020 8:35 pm)

September 21, 2020 8:51 pm  #2

Re: Rebranding and Format Changes in Mid Western Ontario

lots going on there.  i'd also add the Evanov Meaford Jewel station is boosting it's power somewhere around thanksgiving.  I'd hate to be working sales in that region right about now!

September 21, 2020 9:56 pm  #3

splunge wrote:

lots going on there.  i'd also add the Evanov Meaford Jewel station is boosting it's power somewhere around thanksgiving.  I'd hate to be working sales in that region right about now!

What is really interesting is the fact that the local business community in the mid west is quite familiar advertising on radio, and even now often have a local station playing in the store.

Radio has always been a "thing" in that part of Ontario.  I think it comes from relying on radio more for weather information in winter months, what is open or closed, even funeral notices which both CFOS and CKNX 920 still broadcast!  All of these small stations also broadcast local news throughout the day, and attempt to cover the region.

It was a surprise when Cadillac Fairview opened a mall in Owen Sound years ago to find that many of the chain store managers knew nothing about advertising on radio.  For many of them, who were from larger markets, had never even talked to a radio sales rep before.  The local independent store owners regularly used radio for years and were much more familiar and comfortable with the medium for advertising.

Usually  the local chain store managers don't have any say in advertising and it is under the domain of head office.  But even there talking to various people who handled advertising and promotion it was a bit of a surprise how little they knew about radio, or hadn't used it very often.  And these were reasonably large provincial and national chain retailers.

September 21, 2020 11:47 pm  #4

@ paterson1... hmmm, yes, how odd it is that hyper local stations like blackburn or bayshore are active members of their local communities and partner with retailers, rather than seeing them as sources to exploit for shareholder gain.  I'm being facetious, but  you're right, there are still places in this country where local radio actually means something meaningful to the listeners they serve, and thus provide actual value to advertisers.

September 22, 2020 2:47 am  #5

Cool FM is so incredibly boring and lame, then again so is Blackburn. No wonder their stations in SW Ontario, even in their home base of London aren’t making a dime.

September 22, 2020 9:02 am  #6

The Cool morning show is ok. Music was pretty good in my opinion, and Phil Main is a solid veteran on air talent doing mornings.  What was interesting would be the fact that Cool had a 5-6 minutes news/sports/weather package top and bottom of the hour in the morning with a few actualities, and local stories.  

I can't speak for the rest of the day but their mornings sounded fine to me. I am just not sure why they rebranded since their music really hasn't changed that much from Classic Rock 94.5. 

As mentioned above it is interesting that My FM rebranded their three frequencies in the area to Shoreline Oldies yesterday.   However they actually are not oldies unless music from the 70's-80's would be considered oldies now. They did indicate some new programming planned for the station, so possibly some other syndicated oldies in addition to Ashby's show on Sunday. 

September 22, 2020 9:07 am  #7

and a syndicated morning show host for Oldies. 

September 22, 2020 9:38 am  #8

rawkgurl wrote:

and a syndicated morning show host for Oldies. 

I think they may already have that.  Bill Porter was on this morning and I believe his show is out of My FM's oldies station in Peterborough.  Although my brief listening to Shoreline Oldies this morning did sound local with callers live on air from Kincardine and Goderich. 

Last edited by paterson1 (September 22, 2020 9:42 am)

September 22, 2020 11:41 am  #9

Thanks for the update!

September 22, 2020 10:43 pm  #10

Expect more Cool FMs in markets if Blackburn ever expands. I think Chatham/Windsor was first, then Sarnia, now Wingham. The Sarnia station, CHKS was formerly perhaps the worst active rock station I have ever heard, both jock and music wise. Virtually nothing current, yet they still said “the best new rock”. I think they even played “Come on Eileen” which has no business being on any rock station, classic or otherwise.
I believe Blackburn has the entire Sarnia market, excluding the Port Huron, MI stations yet every time I am out that way there seems to be only a couple of advertisers. I don’t recall hearing a Sarnia businesses on the Port Huron stations, either.