sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 17, 2020 8:46 am  #31

Re: Mighty Q Once More!

=12pxElmnt should never have jumped into the PPM's this quickly.  How many books can you have; before the very upper brass notice that 0.0 is never going to make it.  Even Jazz FM & Classical; which are considered fringe formats have always shown something.  Especially Classical.

September 17, 2020 12:12 pm  #32

Radiowiz wrote:

AMFM wrote:

Elmnt should never have jumped into the PPM's this quickly.  How many books can you have; before the very upper brass notice that 0.0 is never going to make it.  Even Jazz FM & Classical; which are considered fringe formats have always shown something.  Especially Classical.

See, now that's why I was wondering if there's a PPM tone even when a station doesn't pay for it. No pay = 0.0 
Paying would give a more accurate reading, maybe?

I'm not sure how Numeris does it, but in the US Nielsen sends encoder boxes to every station in a PPM market, whether they're subscribers or not. Data for those stations is collected and is available to paying subscribers, but is not included in the public ratings releases from Nielsen. 

My experience is that most stations in PPM markets install the boxes even if they're not subscribers - but I know of at least a few that don't, either because they think the PPM tones reduce the quality of their audio, or because they simply have no interest in participating in the ratings system. 

September 17, 2020 8:42 pm  #33

Q107 certainly is in self-congratulatory mode. So much so, they're promoting it on other Corus radio websites. Checking out the Y108 website (how I ended up there, I'm not quite sure, as I haven't seriously listened to the station since about 2002), I came across a banner ad thanking listeners for making Q107 the #1 station in Toronto. While it's not unusual for stations to promote other members of the family, usually it's a music station promoting another station with a completely different format, like news, talk or sports, not another music station. Perhaps the mentality behind this is, "Hey, if you're feeling kind of old because you don't recognize about 90% of the music we play, maybe Q107 is more your pace!"  

PJ

Last edited by Paul Jeffries (September 17, 2020 8:44 pm)

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

September 17, 2020 8:46 pm  #34

They're also running a regular short 15 sec. boastful spot on Global. Strike while the iron is hot, I guess. 

September 17, 2020 9:22 pm  #35

RadioActive wrote:

They're also running a regular short 15 sec. boastful spot on Global. Strike while the iron is hot, I guess. 

I've got to figure this is a BTB move, aimed at potential clients. "#1 " has lost all meaning to listeners, and it doesn't make sense to suddenly spend a bunch to market a station while it's at the top.

September 17, 2020 9:22 pm  #36

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

In the end though, HOT didn't have any significant weaknesses worth exploiting. 

Yeah, I know. That's what I told Corus when it was still the Bear. 

Like, on the contest line?

September 17, 2020 9:24 pm  #37

fybush wrote:

I'm not sure how Numeris does it, but in the US Nielsen sends encoder boxes to every station in a PPM market, whether they're subscribers or not. Data for those stations is collected and is available to paying subscribers, but is not included in the public ratings releases from Nielsen. 

Subscribers here don't get data on any station that isn't in the public releases. I don't know this for a fact, but I'll assume they're not encoding. 

September 17, 2020 10:25 pm  #38

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

In the end though, HOT didn't have any significant weaknesses worth exploiting. 

Yeah, I know. That's what I told Corus when it was still the Bear. 

Like, on the contest line?

That's a major insult.
Jason Desrosiers was just being a team player for Corus in full support of top 40 anyway, I'm sure. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 23, 2020 9:52 am  #39

FYImusicnews boss David Farrell does a deep dive on Q's win and why it took the perfect storm of events for them to regain the ratings crown. It's long, but it's an interesting read.

Q107’s Audience Share Booms With Repatriated Chums 

September 23, 2020 10:59 am  #40

Never seen so much hype from a station and their bragging rights, i mean good for them but this could be temporary too.