sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 17, 2020 11:04 am  #1

Classical 96.3 Breaking Format For Unusual Religious Broadcasts

Some here will know that the biggest of all the Jewish holidays, Rosh Hashana, starts Friday night. But with COVID preventing the faithful from attending synagogues and many of the more religious persuasion not being able to stream a service from their computer, Classical 96.3 is offering an odd alternative that I can’t quite recall ever hearing on a Toronto station before.

As outlined in the Toronto Star:

“On Sept. 19 and 20, The Song Shul will have an hour-long radio broadcast full of music on The New Classical 96.3FM starting at 10 a.m. to mark the two days of Rosh Hashanah…It will also have an hourlong Yom Kippur service on the evening of Sept. 27 and again the next morning.

“Orthodox and other traditionally observant Jews don’t use electrical devices or cars during Rosh Hashanah, so turning to a computer or driving to any kind of service is out of the question. With the radio, observers can turn on the dial the night before and keep it on all day without breaking the rules…

“We wanted to accommodate our more Orthodox members as well as the elderly and non-tech-savvy,” says [the synagogue’s Aliza Spiro]…“We connected with ZoomerMedia (parent company of The New Classical) and it was a perfect partnership.”

Not of interest to everyone here, I’m sure, but a unique moment in local radio directly due to COVID and worth noting.

And by the way, Happy New Year in advance to all of our Jewish readers and posters, whoever they may be. I think we're all hoping that it has to better than the one just passed!

The shofar must go on: Jewish High Holy Days will feature radio broadcasts

September 17, 2020 11:08 am  #2

Re: Classical 96.3 Breaking Format For Unusual Religious Broadcasts

Over here across the lake, my synagogue has simulcast its Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur evening services on classical WXXI-FM for many years. 

This year, we're not holding services in person, and so we're doing Zoom-based services and simulcasting that audio on WXXI. I hope it all works!!