sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 12, 2020 10:15 pm  #1

Trump is not a hit with rock and roll musicians...which is unfortunate

Donald Trump is using CCR's "Fortunate Song" on the campaign, the use of the song baffles John Fogarty as the lyrics in the song don't match the life Donald Trump has had, he's more a fortunate son, than an unfortunate one.

But CCR's views echo's that of the Rolling Stones, Neil Young and the Estate of Tom Petty all have opposed and taken legal action preventing Trump from using their music.

The Donald does like YMCA and Macho Man by the Village People though. 

I don't make this stuff up folks, read it for yourself...here's the link...

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/music/2020/09/12/trump-campaigns-song-choices-including-fortunate-son-baffling-to-many.html

I just hope one day a President will play John Lennon's Imagine, or for a good laugh, "My ding-a-ling" by Chuck Berry...

If you were a rock musician would you want the President playing your song?

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

September 13, 2020 5:28 am  #2

Re: Trump is not a hit with rock and roll musicians...which is unfortunate

Not exactly the best song to use given his case, but to be fair John Fogerty is considered to be one of the biggest jerks in music history.

Clinton had the mid 1970s era Fleetwood Mac perform for him. I believe Bob Dole tried to use “Soul Man”, changed to Dole Man during his failed 1996 run. I’m sure there are other examples.

September 13, 2020 9:43 am  #3

I suggest  " You Jerk" by Kim Stockwood...or as Leonard Cohen's people suggested " You Want It Darker"

September 13, 2020 10:43 am  #4

let Trump embrace his inner "Green Day" .. 

September 13, 2020 11:12 am  #5

One of the best songs ever aimed directly at a politician was a Billboard #1 that never gets played any more. But perhaps it's more relevant than ever.

It was called "You Haven't Done Nothin;" by Stevie Wonder with the help of The Jackson 5 on background vocals (whom he calls out in the lyrics.) It contains a message that leaves very little doubt what Stevie thought of the then-White House occupant but it's also just a fantastic piece of music. (I still get a chill when he shouts, "Sing it Dickie!" at the end.) I just wish it were played more today. 

It certainly wasn't the tune, but just two days after it was released, Nixon resigned from office.

September 13, 2020 4:38 pm  #6

g121 wrote:

let Trump embrace his inner "Green Day" .. 

Sounds like a good Biden song.

September 13, 2020 10:03 pm  #7

Trump could try to use this edgy gem from Filter.

https://youtu.be/o9mJ82x_l-E

September 14, 2020 6:41 am  #8

Donald Where's Your Troosers? -- Andy Stewart, 1961