sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 7, 2020 7:33 pm  #1

CBC Toronto Looking For 11 PM News Anchor

I have to admit I never watch CBC News, especially at 11 PM, but whoever is anchoring the show now almost certainly won't be there much longer. I just noticed that the Corp. is looking for a new person to front their late night newscast. I mention this only because it's rare these kinds of positions come up, especially in Toronto, and they're pretty high paying and high profile. 

I was thinking about former City TV host Roger Petersen for the spot (he anchored CityNews for many years after Mark Daily passed away) but I'm not sure he would meet CBC's diversity policy and I suspect they're more likely to hire from within the Corp. in any event. Either way, the position is open for applications until Sept. 11th and you should expect to see someone new on the air in that time slot sometime this fall. 

CBC: Toronto News Anchor Wanted

[Edit: Just noticed that they're also looking for a weekend evening anchor, for a temporary 1 year position. Odd that both would come up at the same time.]

Last edited by RadioActive (September 7, 2020 7:40 pm)

September 8, 2020 12:01 am  #2

Re: CBC Toronto Looking For 11 PM News Anchor

i'm not against a diversity policy but (in my opinion) one's "ability" should be an important element when filling positions. that said, i don't understand why ctv newsworld has akshay tandon as one of its national anchors. he looks professional enough but his ability to convey news copy is highly questionable. he constantly mispronounces (or mumbles) words and names of people and/or locations plus, on occasion, completely omits words. if there's a positive in all this, mr. tandon doesn't stumble when making these vocal mistakes. it's as if they were meant to be. unfortunately, that "positive" just adds to the confusion (at least in my opinion). personally, i hang in there for about 5 minutes, then bail in frustration.

Last edited by the original hank (September 8, 2020 12:07 am)

September 8, 2020 1:45 am  #3

the original hank wrote:

i'm not against a diversity policy but (in my opinion) one's "ability" should be an important element when filling positions. that said, i don't understand why ctv newsworld has akshay tandon as one of its national anchors. he looks professional enough but his ability to convey news copy is highly questionable. he constantly mispronounces (or mumbles) words and names of people and/or locations plus, on occasion, completely omits words. if there's a positive in all this, mr. tandon doesn't stumble when making these vocal mistakes. it's as if they were meant to be. unfortunately, that "positive" just adds to the confusion (at least in my opinion). personally, i hang in there for about 5 minutes, then bail in frustration.

He and Dwight Drummond are the two anchors in this city that I have a hard time watching because I'm constantly deciphering the words.  I have yet to watch a full newscast with either of them anchoring because it's too much work.

September 8, 2020 2:34 am  #4

Prod Guy wrote:

He and Dwight Drummond are the two anchors in this city that I have a hard time watching because I'm constantly deciphering the words.  I have yet to watch a full newscast with either of them anchoring because it's too much work.

That's very odd! I never had any trouble watching Dwight back in his City TV days. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 8, 2020 9:51 am  #5

in my opinion, dwight can come off sounding like a robot in need of batteries. very monotone and he slurs his words (on occasion).

September 8, 2020 1:54 pm  #6

Mike Wise stepped down from this newscast a short while ago. They've probably been using a rotating mix of anchors in the meantime, but are now looking for someone to call the 11pm desk home.