sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 4, 2020 10:18 am  #1

640’s Greg Brady Is A Good Sport – And That’s The Problem

I like Greg Brady on the air and I respect him as a successful broadcaster. And I’m grateful for his Saturday show on 640, when the rest of the market is involved with either infomercials, gardening or home improvement shows, which are like listening to paint dry. (Although in the case of the home improvement shows, that might be a good thing!)

But there’s one thing he does that drives me crazy and gets me to reach for the radio to change the station. I appreciate Brady’s extensive background in sports radio and his knowledge of that world, and I get it – you go where your strengths are.

But every time I hear him on GNR 640, he launches into several arcane discussions about sports. Sometimes it’s local (like the Raptors or the Leafs) and often it will be the NFL, the CFL, the NCAA or some obscure story about tennis. (And I'm not referring to the Raptor buzzer-beater, which is a legit news story.)

He handles them well, but my objection is this: he’s no longer working for an all sports radio station. Yes, he discusses other topics as well. But if I wanted sports content in my talk shows, there’s no shortage of the places I could go. There’s the Fan 590, his former home. TSN 1050, the little heard TSN 1150, WGR, WWKB and WHLD in Buffalo. And then there's Mike Richards doing sports all morning on Sauga 960. That’s six stations (along with one morning show) entirely devoted to yakking about teams, stats, results, trades and recounting the greatest games ever played.

That’s obviously not why I’m tuning into 640. I can only hope as time goes on and he becomes more comfortable, he’ll abandon his reliance on sports talk on a non-sports talk station. Because he’s actually very capable of doing those other subjects. I just wish he’d stick to them – and remember he's not at 590 any more. 

September 4, 2020 7:27 pm  #2

Re: 640’s Greg Brady Is A Good Sport – And That’s The Problem

Never really listened to Greg, so I don't know.  Could it be that GNR 640 still skews very heavy to male listeners and he just figures touching on sports will be of interest to most listening in?  And if you have flogged COVID, Trump and the kids going back to school all week, a bit of light sports commentary could be a nice change?  A lot of sports callers have a good sense of humour and this if done right even non sports fans could find entertaining, as long as it doesn't get too lengthy.  Steve Paiken is good at sports commentary and delves into it occasionally on The Agenda.

September 4, 2020 11:17 pm  #3

Greg's show starts at 8am Saturday morning, if you'd like to tune in and give it a listen.
If he's doing the Stafford and Supriya morning show from Monday to Friday as well, how long will he be working a 6 day week. Imagine getting up that early five days in a row, and then doing a Saturday morning show. Pass the caffeine and maybe even a 5 hour energy drink...oh wait, different station.😏

September 5, 2020 10:10 am  #4

When AM 640 switched from music to talk the very first talk show was the fabulous Sports Babe.
What's your point RA?  640 has ALWAYS been a half sports station! 
(except for that short lived guy talk radio)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.