sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 11, 2020 1:12 pm  #1

Cousin Brucie Coming Back To Radio - & You'll Never Believe Where

Just a week after quitting a 15-year gig at SiriusXM's "60's on 6," 84-year-old Cousin Bruce Morrow is returning to the public airwaves, at the place where he was best known - WABC New York. 

The new owner was a huge fan of the legendary DJ and has signed him to a once-a-week music show on the otherwise heavily conservative talk station. All that politics will go out the window, at least for one night, when Morrow takes the mic.

From the New York Times:

"Mr. Morrow’s new show starts on Sept. 5. It will be called “Cousin Brucie’s Saturday Night Rock & Roll Party” and will feature music from the 1960s, ’70s, ’80s — plus a “little touch” of the ’50s, he said. The company will allow him to do the show from home because of the coronavirus pandemic, Mr. Morrow said, but he plans to do at least his first and second shows from the studio."  

The show will air from 6-9 PM.

Cousin Brucie Returning to WABC

This isn't the first time WABC has dipped back into its rock and roll roots since going all talk in 1982. They used to have a terrific talk-music hybrid show called "Saturday Night" hosted by Mark Simone that aired for several years on the station. It involved playing classic Top 40, WABC jingles, phone calls and interviews with 60s music makers like Frankie Valli. It was cancelled when then-station owner Cumulus decided it didn't want its famous talk outlet to be associated with its former music glory days. 

August 11, 2020 5:12 pm  #2

Re: Cousin Brucie Coming Back To Radio - & You'll Never Believe Where

Well, that didn't take long. From the WABC website:

August 11, 2020 6:10 pm  #3

WABC's new owner, who comes from the grocery business, is treating WABC like a radio enthusiast with a large bank account would. It's a hobby station at this point. Of all the ways AM can slowly die, this isn't the worst.

August 11, 2020 9:02 pm  #4

A few more details have emerged, including the fact that the PAMS jingles will return - and there's a chance that if this show works, talk could give way to even more music on the weekends. 

Here's what Brucie told Variety:

"One of the very first things I said to the vice president of programming, David LaBrozzi, when we signed the deal was, “David, I gotta have my old jingles back,” and he said to me, “I have them.” I got my old jingles back. So you’re going to hear all those things. It’s going to be warm and fuzzy. It’s going to be memorabilia, and it’s going to be today — a wonderful mixture of what radio was and is." 

And unlike the 60s on 6, the playlist will be wider. 

"The format will be the ’50s, ’60, ’70s and ’80s, and anything else that anybody wants to hear, I can play. I have complete free reign. I program my own shows and the shows will be really a variety of a lot of great music, a lot of great talk and guests."

Cousin Brucie Exults in His Return to AM Radio in NYC After Exiting SiriusXM: ‘I Missed the Audience’

August 12, 2020 5:21 am  #5

He did purchase an FM station on Long Island to repeat WABC. Whether that and music returning will pay off, time will tell.

August 12, 2020 7:46 am  #6

=12px>> there's a chance that if this show works, talk could give way to even more music on the weekends.

Nice if they could do a "Time Machine" thing like WNBC did years ago.

Last edited by Dale Patterson (August 12, 2020 7:47 am)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

August 12, 2020 10:17 am  #7

Bruce appeared on the WABC morning show this morning sounding enthused and telling the audience he was "coming home".

Asked if he was going to employ WABC's famous reverb he was non committal saying he'd have to ask his bosses. Hoping the answer will be in the affirmative.

Looking forward to hearing him. 

August 12, 2020 10:23 am  #8

I wish I'd heard that appearance. I know that as recently as last night, they were already running promos for the show.

One of my all time favourite quotes from the late Dan Ingram came when he was on WCBS-FM, which at the time had reverb on the jock's mic. He talked about how he loved the sound and said, "Life without echo is really no life at all." 

Words to live by.

August 12, 2020 4:39 pm  #9

It should sound as much as possible like the old WABC. For that you need reverb. Bring back the Time Machine!. The Record Pig is waiting.

http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/wnbc-sorensen-jul7-88.mp3

Last edited by Dale Patterson (August 12, 2020 4:40 pm)

August 12, 2020 4:54 pm  #10

I loved The Time Machine! What a great recreation of a classic moment in Top 40 history, complete with reverb and jingles. Here's a look at what the WNBC control room looked like when my friend (and childhood hero!) The Real Bob James was working there. He was kind enough to send me these pics a number of years ago. Look at all those carts and the reel-to-reel machines! Amazing how different things look today!

And then there's the Time Machine clock. Bob once told me it was such a high energy format, he would often lose a full pound on a 3 or 4 hour shift.

Oh and by the way, just to continue this thread, Bob told me in an email I received today that he'd actually done one shift on WABC as a talk show host on the weekend as an audition. He says it 'didn't work out,' which does not surprise me. Bob is as about as un-Republican as anyone can be, so I'm not sure how he would have fit on a station full of them. But boy, would I have loved to have heard THAT show!     

September 1, 2020 9:13 pm  #11

In advance of Cousin Brucie's return to WABC on Sept. 5th, the station has posted an odd video with the veteran disc jockey. The best part comes around the 7 minute mark, when he describes how the "Cousin" name was born - and how he was so sure he was going to get fired from WINS because of it, that when he was called into the boss's office, he brought his father along with him!

Cousin Brucie Interview

September 2, 2020 3:27 pm  #12

They are promoting this quite a bit on WABC. I heard several promos last weekend while listening to an overnight talk show.

September 2, 2020 6:58 pm  #13

I fondly remember listening to him as a kid at WABC. He was one of the people who inspired me to get into radio. Looking forward to tuning in Saturday!

September 3, 2020 6:35 am  #14

RadioActive wrote:

Just heard this...

If you can't listen to the show on Saturday night it will be replayed in its entirety on Monday from noon 'til 3 pm

No excuses now...

September 3, 2020 8:12 am  #15

Considering its dismal ratings, you'd think TSN 1050 would do something like this. Bring back the Boogie Man and those great CHUM PAMS jingles! Or you could just play restored airchecks like they did in 2001 just before they became The Team. I believe there would be a audience for it, albeit in the very high demos.

September 3, 2020 8:23 am  #16

Dale Patterson wrote:

Considering its dismal ratings, you'd think TSN 1050 would do something like this. Bring back the Boogie Man and those great CHUM PAMS jingles! Or you could just play restored airchecks like they did in 2001 just before they became The Team. I believe there would be a audience for it, albeit in the very high demos.

I agree Dale, CHUM has hundreds of old jingles.  They even have jingles for school songs for most Toronto high schools. An oldies program on TSN 1050 would be totally appropriate.  At least do a special.

Even better, why not run Roger Ashby's Oldies Show on Saturday or Sunday mornings? 1050 CHUM was where the whole thing originated, and no Toronto station carries the program...  Maybe that would be too logical.

Last edited by paterson1 (September 3, 2020 8:24 am)

September 3, 2020 9:59 am  #17

paterson1 wrote:

An oldies program on TSN 1050 would be totally appropriate.  At least do a special.    Even better, why not run Roger Ashby's Oldies Show on Saturday or Sunday mornings? 1050 CHUM was where the whole thing originated 

Have drafted a letter:   Dear Greg Carrasco -- your 4-hour Saturday morning program on AM 1050 is being dropped in favor of an oldies format show that will feature 30% of the likes of Bobby Curtola and Andy Kim.    We know you will be listening.

Love, 

Roger 

September 3, 2020 11:24 am  #18

geo wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

An oldies program on TSN 1050 would be totally appropriate.  At least do a special.    Even better, why not run Roger Ashby's Oldies Show on Saturday or Sunday mornings? 1050 CHUM was where the whole thing originated 

Have drafted a letter:   Dear Greg Carrasco -- your 4-hour Saturday morning program on AM 1050 is being dropped in favor of an oldies format show that will feature 30% of the likes of Bobby Curtola and Andy Kim.    We know you will be listening.

Love, 

Roger 

Hahaha..good one geo..

September 3, 2020 12:58 pm  #19

paterson1 wrote:

Even better, why not run Roger Ashby's Oldies Show on Saturday or Sunday mornings? 1050 CHUM was where the whole thing originated, and no Toronto station carries the program...  Maybe that would be too logical.

On one hand; why? On the other hand: why not?

As for ratings, it doesn't really matter. Even if it were #1 every week, that wouldn't move the overall share at all.

It would, however, give them Toronto clearance for the spots.

Though it's entirely possible they're claiming Jewel 88.5 for that purpose.

Last edited by RadioAaron (September 3, 2020 12:58 pm)

September 17, 2020 9:51 pm  #20

I just heard the new owner of WABC say this on air, after a caller thanked him for bringing back Cousin Brucie. 

"I love music, " claimed John Catsimatidis. "Wait until you hear what I'm doing next month."

Hmmm, what do you suppose that means? 

September 18, 2020 5:47 pm  #21

My guess is another old WABC personality will have a music show on the weekend.

September 18, 2020 10:56 pm  #22

Walter 'Sterling" Sabo hosts a show from 9 to 10 after Brucie's show.  Last week, Bruce hung around and they chatted for a while.  A fascinating show.

https://wabcradio.com/episode/walter-sterling-09-05-2020/

ig.

RadioActive wrote:

Just a week after quitting a 15-year gig at SiriusXM's "60's on 6," 84-year-old Cousin Bruce Morrow is returning to the public airwaves, at the place where he was best known - WABC New York. 

The new owner was a huge fan of the legendary DJ and has signed him to a once-a-week music show on the otherwise heavily conservative talk station. All that politics will go out the window, at least for one night, when Morrow takes the mic.

From the New York Times:

"Mr. Morrow’s new show starts on Sept. 5. It will be called “Cousin Brucie’s Saturday Night Rock & Roll Party” and will feature music from the 1960s, ’70s, ’80s — plus a “little touch” of the ’50s, he said. The company will allow him to do the show from home because of the coronavirus pandemic, Mr. Morrow said, but he plans to do at least his first and second shows from the studio."  

The show will air from 6-9 PM.

Cousin Brucie Returning to WABC

This isn't the first time WABC has dipped back into its rock and roll roots since going all talk in 1982. They used to have a terrific talk-music hybrid show called "Saturday Night" hosted by Mark Simone that aired for several years on the station. It involved playing classic Top 40, WABC jingles, phone calls and interviews with 60s music makers like Frankie Valli. It was cancelled when then-station owner Cumulus decided it didn't want its famous talk outlet to be associated with its former music glory days. 

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

October 11, 2020 7:43 pm  #23

Cousin Brucie's reappearance on WABC must be doing well for the station. He announced on Saturday's show that beginning October 31st, his oldies program is being extended for an extra 60 minutes every week, from three hours to four. Plus he also talked about his birthday coming up. That means he will be 85. Astounding that he's still doing a rock 'n roll show at that age.

October 12, 2020 9:29 am  #24

I read on the New York Radio Board that Tony Orlando - yes that Tony Orlando - will be on after the Cuz, from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m.

They are also planning a Sinatra focused show for Sundays.

We've mentioned this before, but CHUM could sure do themselves a favour with a Saturday night show, or running top-quality old airchecks of which they have many.

October 12, 2020 4:44 pm  #25

RadioActive wrote:

That means he will be 85. Astounding that he's still doing a rock 'n roll show at that age.

December 14, 2020 9:34 pm  #26

More music on a once legendary rock-turned-talk station. Although this isn't exactly rock. 

At a time when music on AM is almost non-existent, especially in New York, it's interesting to see where the new owner is taking the place.

SNL Alumnus & Radio Icon Joe Piscopo to Host "Sunday Nights With Sinatra” on 77 WABC Radio

December 14, 2020 9:59 pm  #27

And, hey - they've got it sponsored. Glad Catsimatidis is having fun with his new toy.

September 24, 2021 11:19 am  #28

First it was the return of Cousin' Brucie to Saturday nights. 

Then they added Tony Orlando.

And that was followed by Joe Piscopo on Sundays.

Now one of the biggest talk radio stations in North America continues its slide back to yesterday with yet another weekend oldies show, this time at 5PM Saturday. It's hosted by a guy named Vinnie Medugno, and no, I can't say I've ever heard of him, either. His one-hour show, preceding Bruce Morrow, will primarily be filled with 50s and 60s music.  

According to their website:

"[Cousin] Vinnie plans to take you back to those days of good music and memories, while spotlighting specific years and artists throughout the best era of the greatest songs ever! Plus we open Vinnie’s Vinyl Vault every week and travel back to where we were the first time we heard some of those rare cuts!" 

Say what you want about this programming and the inconsistency it puts on a talk station, but there is probably no other station in the world that could get away with it (except maybe CHUM?) because it skews older anyway and has something of a legacy past. 

I'll be curious to hear what this guy sounds like. 

WABC-AM Adds Yet Another Weekend Oldies Show

September 24, 2021 11:44 am  #29

Great. Now I've got Zappa's 'Catholic Girls' stuck in my head. I shall cancel you all...

September 24, 2021 8:21 pm  #30

Let's not forget the TALL ONE, Dick Williams on Global Newsradio 980 CFPL in London.  Dicks show is excellent, great music, jingles, short comedy bits and lots of tidbits about the Forest City...Nice that his show runs daytime on Saturdays and Sundays 11am to 2pm...

Last edited by paterson1 (September 24, 2021 8:40 pm)