sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 27, 2020 9:58 am  #1

CBC News Network and Republican Convention

I have been watching coverage of the Republican convention the last few nights.  I must say the best  has been on CBC News Network with their America Votes.  They don't have wall to wall coverage like CNN but are on for two one hour segments over the evening, and updates throughout the day including Power and Politics at 5pm.  In the mornings Heather Hiscox has various recaps of the night before.

Carol MacNeil has been fair and measured as the anchor and their guest commentators (both republican and democrat) have been well chosen. Reporters Megan Fitzpatrick and Katie Simpson have been excellent.   Last night they used David Frum who to me is one of the better pundits on TV and uniquely qualified to speak on the republican party and it's history and changes over the past decade. 

They are carrying the key speeches intact and so far at least have been respectful and not overly critical of what has been said.  Rather they are reporting what the speech covered and leaving any comment to the pundits who also have been surprisingly measured.   Very similar to how BBC news would cover an event like this. 

CTV News Network's much more limited coverage has been just so so. They sometimes get into a little outrage or  dwell more into the "lies" in the speeches etc.

CNN generally has been poor with every nuance questioned by hosts and commentators.  Former Star reporter Daniel Day going through all of the misleading statements and lies from almost every speech gets tiresome.  Also it is getting predictable with Don Lemon's, Chris Cuomo's and Anderson Cooper's rolling of the eyes and commenting on how could "they" say such a thing..etc..

Tonight I may try and watch some of FOX News coverage to get a completely different take and I am sure just as weak as CNN's but for opposite reasons.

Anyway congrats to CBC News Network on their fair and respectful coverage of the convention so far.  Nice to see a network finally not commenting or questioning every detail and just covering the story. 

Even like all of the Telus "jungle boogie" ads throughout the evening!

Last edited by paterson1 (August 27, 2020 10:03 am)

August 27, 2020 10:54 am  #2

Re: CBC News Network and Republican Convention

I prefer the coverage provided on C-SPAN

NO talking heads.

NO commentary or opinions

Just the event itself raw

Refreshing

August 27, 2020 10:56 am  #3

PBS (i.e. Channel 17) is also covering it uninterrupted if you don't have access to C-SPAN and want to see it sans commentary.

August 27, 2020 12:38 pm  #4

unclefester wrote:

NO talking heads.

Refreshing

Just picking up a live feed with no commentary or context, and broadcasting a political parties 4 hour infomercial  is not really coverage.  It is economical because in theory it wouldn't cost anything to show, since you have no hosts, technical staff or commentators.  I can absolutely understand C-SPAN doing it this way, because this is what they do.  PBS however, I would have thought some detail with analysis and commentary.

I enjoy watching pundits and reporters covering a convention to give context, historical facts and perspective.  This is why so far at least, CBC News Network has been so good, they are simply telling what is happening giving historical perspective and covering the highlights of the speeches.  So far they seem to be generally staying away from criticizing or questioning the content which to me is a real nice change.   And pundits like David Frum who will comment and point out facts makes the broadcast much more interesting.

August 27, 2020 1:43 pm  #5

The Republican Gong Show appears to live in a different universe. Most of the speakers are so superficial and
pretentious while undeservedly crediting Trump for accomplishments which were false.  The more fact checking,
commentary and analysis the better. I found the PBS coverage hosted by Judy Woodruff to be excellent with
knowledgeable commenray and analysis.  CNN is also doing a fine job with their comprehensive coverage.
Anderson Cooper knows how to handle his panel of two Republican supporters and two Democratic supporters. The
Republican supporters appeared to be blowing in the wind most of the time. I found Daniel Day’s fact checking
to be very appropriate and enlightening.  It is very unfortunate that a lot of misinformation is being presented and
widely accepted as true FACTS.  What a spectacular show....the ventriloquist Trump knows how to control his
dummies.

August 28, 2020 1:14 am  #6

unclefester wrote:

NO talking heads.

Refreshing

I want journalism not a 4 hour infomercial.  

August 31, 2020 8:27 pm  #7

mojo55 wrote:

The Republican Gong Show appears to live in a different universe. Most of the speakers are so superficial and
pretentious while undeservedly crediting Trump for accomplishments which were false.  The more fact checking,
commentary and analysis the better. I found the PBS coverage hosted by Judy Woodruff to be excellent with
knowledgeable commenray and analysis.  CNN is also doing a fine job with their comprehensive coverage.
Anderson Cooper knows how to handle his panel of two Republican supporters and two Democratic supporters. The
Republican supporters appeared to be blowing in the wind most of the time. I found Daniel Day’s fact checking
to be very appropriate and enlightening.  It is very unfortunate that a lot of misinformation is being presented and
widely accepted as true FACTS.  What a spectacular show....the ventriloquist Trump knows how to control his
dummies.

Have YOU actually done any research, or just listen to what the media tells you? CNN has an agenda, so does PBS, Fox, MSNBC, CBC, etc. That’s why C-SPAN was the best.

September 1, 2020 12:40 am  #8

Radio111 wrote:

mojo55 wrote:

dummies.

Have YOU actually done any research, or just listen to what the media tells you? CNN has an agenda, so does PBS, Fox, MSNBC, CBC, etc. That’s why C-SPAN was the best.

I am not a journalist or political commentator analyst. I read ,watch, observe the various media and then form an opinion. I rely on the professional journalists and commentators to do the research. It is quite evident that Fox News is the mouthpiece for Trump.  Is it fair that the other networks are always critical of Trump?  Of course it is. When you have a president who lacks honesty, intelligence, integrity and any sense of decency and attacks the media and
insults and disrespects his rivals, I say more power to the media for exposing him.

September 1, 2020 7:07 pm  #9

It sounds like you are talking about Bill Clinton. Pretty much any President you could say is not honest.