sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 26, 2020 3:21 pm  #1

Avery Haines Chosen To Host One Of Canada's Oldest News Shows

Avery Haines has been assigned to host CTV's W5, one of the longest running shows in Canadian history. This year will be its 55th on the air. 

Haines has previously worked at CFRB and City TV, among other places. And she's quite lucky that her worst moment in broadcasting came long before cancel culture was in existence. Wikipedia outlines what happened::

"On 15 January 2000, working a shift for [CTV Newsnet], Haines made a mistake with a line while taping a report introduction. After regaining her composure, she joked: "I kind of like the little stuttering thing. It's like equal opportunity, right? We've got a stuttering newscaster. We've got the black, we've got the Asian, we've got the woman. I could be a lesbian, folk-dancing, black woman stutterer. What's that? In a wheelchair ... with a gimping, rubber legs. Yeah, really. I'd have a successful career, let me tell you." 

"However, the camera was still on. Haines retaped the segment, but later that day, a CTV technician mistakenly aired the tape that included the error and the comment. On 17 January, Haines was fired from CTV Newsnet after her comments sparked controversy. The unnamed technician was suspended."

Can you imagine if that had happened today? Her career would likely be over. Instead she was able to come back after a brief absence and will now be fronting CTV's most prestigious show. And it's well deserved since she's a very smart lady and an excellent reporter.

She starts as host and managing editor when W5 returns on Sept. 26th.

CTV News Names Avery Haines as Host and Managing Editor of W5.

August 26, 2020 7:49 pm  #2

Re: Avery Haines Chosen To Host One Of Canada's Oldest News Shows

If anyone's interested, I talked to Avery about her on-air gaffe (and more) on my podcast.

https://www.torontomike.com/2016/07/toronto_miked_podcast_episode_184/