sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 25, 2020 10:02 am  #1

Internet price increase looming?

Not directly related to the discussion of Radio and TV on this board, but it will have an indirect impact on all users of various internet services at some point.

Looks like the Telcos and Cable monoliths have been successful in wearing down the federal cabinet (whats left of it) and have caved to the demands and perceived threats of lack of future investment in rural build out of broadband service...

I recently left the cable co that was my internet provider, and went with TekSavy.....  Tek is just wholesaling the cable internet...  but, I've been advised this morning that the monthly rate with be increasing by $10/mth commencing October 1st...

prepare to dig deeper....

-------------------------------------
Hello (customer name) 

In August 2019 the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) announced final rates that companies like TekSavvy are charged by the large telecom carriers. In some cases, those new rates were a reduction of more than 43%. TekSavvy took steps to pass those savings on by reducing rates for the vast majority of our customers. We saw it as simply the right thing to do. 

However, the large carriers petitioned Federal Cabinet to overturn the CRTC’s decision and impose higher rates. In their recent August 15, 2020 statement, the Federal Cabinet effectively directed the CRTC to increase these wholesale rates. Ultimately, in announcing its verdict on the petitions, Cabinet caved to pressure from the large carriers, who threatened to hold back investments in rural Canada unless they were protected from competition. The decision is a reversal from Cabinet’s previous direction that the CRTC place affordability, competition and consumer interests at the forefront. 

After 5 years of cost uncertainty, inflated interim rates, and anti-competitive behaviour by the large carriers, TekSavvy is left with no choice but to interpret this announcement as an expectation from the government that retail prices should be raised, specifically to protect Incumbent investments. We are therefore making a difficult decision in order to continue providing you with the service you have come to expect.

Last edited by Glen Warren (August 25, 2020 10:11 am)

August 25, 2020 10:16 am  #2

Re: Internet price increase looming?

I got the same email about a week ago and Teksavvy is being raked over the coals on some social media sites for the rate hike announcement. But I don't blame them. The big telcos essentially blackmailed the federal government, threatening to delay much needed investment in rural areas of the country - a government promise - if they didn't force their competition to raise prices. 

It's an odious practice but exactly what I might have expected from the greedmongers at Bell, Rogers, Telus and the rest of the cabal. It's shameful that the same government that pretends to care about the middle class decided to cave to these guys, but it's no surprise. 

I feel I get my money's worth from TekSavvy to continue with them and would remind you that they were the first to reduce their rates (how unusual is that?) when the initial decision to allow the independents equal access was announced. And they're still cheaper overall than the big 3 with no loss of speed or service. It's not their fault that the government did an unethical and completely unjustified 180. 

Something else to remember whenever the next election comes around I suppose. 

August 25, 2020 10:38 am  #3

I've been a Teksavvy customer for years -- I had a 3 digit customer number.  Then a move last year forced us to switch to Rogers since all the trees in the yard block any view for a satellite dish and Rogers was offering sweet deals on IgniteTV. (no fibe availability) 

Well, the year is up and Rogers no longer offers _any_ deals.  It's all regular price.  It shot up by $80/month!

I was able to meet them half way and by paring down a few things and ditching crave/hbo, it's about $40/month more -- oh well.

To add insult to injury, Rogers has served a notice that prices will be going up by $6 in November.

So, Teksavvians, thank your lucky stars you are with them while you can.

Sometimes, you just can't win.

August 25, 2020 10:47 am  #4

I'm not blaming TekSavy at all....  I understand the situation that they have been put in (and who put them there).

I should have gone with them earlier, but it was just laziness on my part to stay with the cable co.

Like RA mentioned,  just another broken promise to remember at the next ballot box....

August 25, 2020 11:24 am  #5

I've been with Teksavvy DSL/VDSL for 10+ years.

I remember that they kept kicking Bell's butt to get my DSL connection working .. 4 tech visits in 8 days.
I remember that they doubled my monthly quota free of charge.
I remember they lowered our internet rates.
I remember they are at the forefront fighting for fair internet access & price for all.

I just recently cut the Rogers Cable TV for Teksavvy TV.  

I'm sticking with Teksavvy & refuse to blame them for things out of their control.

August 25, 2020 5:14 pm  #6

g121 wrote:

I went the other way last year because TSTV wasn't quite mature enough yet.  That's the only thing Rogers has going for it right now.  Their ignite offering is quite nice.

But otherwise I completely agree with you and look forward to someday rejoining Teksavvy -- even without a 3 digit client ID.

August 26, 2020 8:53 am  #7

Peter the K wrote:

g121 wrote:

I went the other way last year because TSTV wasn't quite mature enough yet.  That's the only thing Rogers has going for it right now.  Their ignite offering is quite nice.

But otherwise I completely agree with you and look forward to someday rejoining Teksavvy -- even without a 3 digit client ID.

I hear ya.  I've been keeping tabs on IPTV offerings for quite some time.  As the freebie pirate streams became more reliable, I became increasing comfortable that IPTV technology would provide an acceptable product.

My Rogers discount was coming to an end, so I gave TekTV a try.  Acceptable live sports viewing was my measure.  I'd say my TekTV experience so far is not quite as stable as cable but quite acceptable .. say 95+%.

Aside from the tech itself; the TekTV package offerings are a better fit for me.   For TV,  I'm pretty much just News & Sports.  With Rogers, I had to get their VIP (now Popular) package.  List price is $80/month but for the last 10+ years, i've been doing the annual whine & bitch with them & getting in the $65/month range.  It's tiresome. 

To get News & Sports with TekTV .. $48/month .. no whining & bitching required.  I run the TekTV app off my Amazon Firestick 4K.  And the TekTV Guide/remote is a gazillion times faster than the Rogers box!

Yes, I get a lot less channels now .. BUT .. I wasn't watching them anyways.

So after 34 years of cable TV, I'm gone .. now happy with TekTV.

August 27, 2020 11:59 am  #8

This month's Rogers bill included notice of two price increases;  effective October, 2020.

Internet and TV monthly fees will each increase by $3.00 plus taxes.

Last edited by Media Observer (August 27, 2020 12:00 pm)

August 30, 2020 9:42 pm  #9

just got an email from rogers - internet and home phone going up $3.00 each per month as of october 1.

September 11, 2020 9:26 pm  #11

Sounds like this could get very ugly.  
Bell and Rogers will still find creative ways to demand that money is due. 
If they have power to shut something down, I gather they will, leaving TekSavy with nothing to work with.
(and a gosh darn good court case...)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 29, 2020 10:05 am  #12

And the beat goes on. Remember when the CRTC announced they'd be taking the side of consumers? I guess those days are over. 

CRTC to keep wholesale internet rates steady while reviewing decision to slash prices

September 29, 2020 8:57 pm  #13

Those days are not over yet. The article and headline says they are reviewing the decision. When they complete this review and make the final decision that is when we can see whether the crtc is on the side of the consumer. It will then be up to the crtc to explain whatever decision they make.