sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 23, 2020 10:42 am  #1

New Host Finally Starts At #1 Toronto Morning Radio Show Monday

His name is Ismaila Alfa and he's coming from a CBC Radio gig in Winnipeg to take on the biggest morning drive show in the biggest market in Canada. And it took him a very long time to get here. 

Former host Matt Galloway left the position on CBC Radio 1's Metro Morning to host "The Current" on Dec. 6th and there have been rotating hosts ever since, most recently the usual morning newscaster Jill Dempsey. That means it's been an incredible 8 months from the transition from one permanent host to another. (Who starts a new gig on August 24th?)

Alfa made an appearance on the show on July 7th, the day he was named, but for most listeners, he remains an unknown in this area. That presumably ends on Monday when he sits in the big chair in front of a very large audience. 

August 23, 2020 11:09 am  #2

Re: New Host Finally Starts At #1 Toronto Morning Radio Show Monday

Actually Ismaila was one of the rotating hosts, so the audience  had the opportunity to hear him various times already for a few weeks.  This would likely be part of the audition and process of evaluating potential hosts.  

I saw him a few times during the shows hour TV simulcast on CBC Toronto in the morning.   He is a little more outgoing and I would say pleasant or happier on air than Matt tended to be.  David Common was pretty good as well when he hosted.

August 24 is a few weeks before the summer ratings come out and gives the CBC a bit of a chance to promote the new morning show and host for the fall book. Often when a station changes  format, especially something big like a morning host or music it sometimes comes right before or around the Labour Day weekend. 

Interesting to note that John Landecker's first show on CFTR was on August 24 1981.

August 23, 2020 11:30 am  #3

Re: New Host Finally Starts At #1 Toronto Morning Radio Show Monday

Well, I guess that shows how often I listen to the CBC! Thanks for the additional info.

I'm sure they had to find a replacement for him in Winnipeg but I'm less sure it should have taken all this time to get a permanent replacement for Galloway on the air. Still, it didn't seem to affect their ratings all that much so I'm sure there was no harm done.