sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 5, 2020 2:01 pm  #1

Rare Radio Special On Elvis' Death To Stream Free On 43rd Anniversary

Hard to imagine, but Aug. 16th will mark 43 years since Elvis Presley died (or is living somewhere as a very old man, depending on what you believe.) And now an Internet site is re-streaming a tribute to the rock and roll pioneer, commercial free. I've tested the link and yes, it does appear it's not geoblocked into Canada. 

Details on the special can be found at the link below, but what fascinates me is how much it sounds like the story of how Doug Thompson and his colleagues rushed to put together a syndicated special on the death of John Lennon just three years later at CFTR. 

According to the article, the producers of this long unheard special got it out just two days after the star died, but they had a huge advantage - they'd been working on the infamous "History of Rock and Roll" multi-part special for a while when the shocking news of his passing was reported. Since Elvis was supposed to be part of at least two of those episodes, they culled a lot of material into the instant program.

"Basically, the team decided to pull the material already planned for ‘HRR’ and use it for a tribute to Elvis’ life and career. Landsberg explains, “The ‘Elvis hours’ scripts were already written, music was researched and pulled, instrumental tracks for voiceover backing were ready, interviews and other actualities had been edited and were ready for final production by studio engineer Mark Ford.

“...Bill Drake came in Tuesday afternoon and began recording the voice tracks for the show.  We all pulled an ‘all-nighter’…staying thru the night while Mark did the studio production. I believe he finished about 10 a.m. the following day." 

How an Elvis Presley radio tribute came together fast, and how you can hear it again

The show airs Aug. 16th at 3 PM and again at 9 PM Toronto time. In the meantime the site is spitting out some pretty good tunes.  You'll be able to hear the special here.

August 5, 2020 4:33 pm  #2

Re: Rare Radio Special On Elvis' Death To Stream Free On 43rd Anniversary

Thanks, RA. The sound quality is extremely good. C'ya Sunday!

August 5, 2020 4:47 pm  #3

Yes, I was surprised by how good the audio sounds, as well. Not sure what they're doing but I wish more would!

August 5, 2020 5:51 pm  #4

Good to see they have the sense to hold it 'til after R. Ashby's Moldy Oldies sign off on Sunday

August 5, 2020 7:16 pm  #5

I was just listening to the feed and an announcement came on to explain what the "Top 40 Hit Clock" really is.

Apparently, they're playing songs in the exact order they appeared on the Billboard Hot 100. Interesting presentation and that explains why they're playing what they're playing - and when. 

Top 40 Hit Clock

August 5, 2020 7:31 pm  #6

This is from 2015, but it appears the Top 40 Hit Clock is a repeat of an old special that aired half a decade ago in L.A. 

"The great hits are presented in chronological order of the dates of their popularity and appearance on the record sales charts of the nation. The songs are heard in order, month by month, year by year as Top 40 Hit Clock becomes a musical calendar, recalling the hits from the times of the listener's lives."  

What is the Top 40 Hit Clock? 

August 16, 2020 9:33 am  #7

Just as a reminder for those interested, this special is on today, Sunday, Aug. 16th, at 3 PM and again at 9 PM our time.

Elvis Presley Death Radio Documentary Special 

August 16, 2020 9:57 am  #8

Anyone remember the excellent series/biography that CHUM produced on Elvis in 1975?  Here is a really interesting story from CHUM's main man Warren Cosford on the making of both the Beatles and Elvis radio biographies that CHUM produced and syndicated.

Interesting to note in the beginning CHUM offered the shows for free to stations, they only needed to pay for the price of the tape! 
https://www.fyimusicnews.ca/articles/2015/10/01/chum-toronto-beatles-and-elvis

August 19, 2020 10:14 am  #9

If you missed it, you can find it here (until some requests it be pulled):

August 19, 2020 10:26 am  #10

Thanks Peter! (Or would you prefer to be known as The K?) The second feature on that page is also worthwhile. Although it's not listed as such, it's a multi-part documentary produced by a Florida station on American Armed Forces Radio, the network of stations that American soldiers listened to while serving in Vietnam. 

It contains a ton of airchecks and interviews about a radio station most of us have never heard before. It's long, but I've listened to most of it and if you've ever been curious about what American radio transplanted to a war zone sounds like (and sometimes it resembled the Drake format), it's all there. 

August 19, 2020 10:43 am  #11

My pleasure.  You can call me anything as long as the cheque clears. 

I really enjoyed the AFVN doc.  Such a wonderful time capsule.   I'll keep that up as well as long as I'm able