sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 14, 2020 7:56 am  #1

AWFM

AWFM is now up and running.
A&W guy and all! lol
Good food, great classic oldies!
https://web.aw.ca/en/drivein

Last edited by Radiowiz (August 14, 2020 8:07 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 14, 2020 9:02 am  #2

Re: AWFM

This is a great idea. People can listen to A&W radio while drinking their root beer and papa burger!  Hats off to A&W Canada!    Used to enjoy the A&W cruise nights, great classic cars.  They should play up the A&W drive in radio aspect more and have more id's in between some of the songs rather than just rolling music, Feature up the popular A&W manager guy a bit more too!  I am sure this will evolve with time.

August 14, 2020 9:36 am  #3

A & W dropped cruise nights (& coast-to-coast 50s vehicle give-aways) in Southern Ontario because franchisees decided it wasn't drawing the anticipated business, and voted to end them here.   A & W cruise nites are still running in BC's lower mainland      

K.K.

Last edited by Kosmos Kagool (August 14, 2020 9:48 am)

August 14, 2020 4:37 pm  #4

Kosmos Kagool wrote:

A & W cruise nites are still running in BC's lower mainland      

What about the States? Whoops...almost forgot A&W USA is apples to oranges compared to A&W Canada...may as well be two different burger companies with two different names, practically.

Differences aside, I wonder if the American A&W tried a similar idea with cruise nights.

August 14, 2020 4:44 pm  #5

Radiowiz wrote:

I wonder if the American A&W tried a similar idea with cruise nights.

As the baby boom peaked years earlier in the US than in Canada, nostalgia trends are different.   With regards to broadcasting, oldies radio died there long before in Canada (all-oldies-all-the-time, not the 3 hour weekly efforts that everyone seems to have on Saturday night or Sunday morning).   

Likewise the vintage vehicle trends are different.    Americans have too much money (IMHO) and go to Scottsdale in January to pay $500,000 for a '57 Chev BelAir convertible at auction.    Canadians come to Toronto in October and pick up a nice driver for $40,000.   

Different game/different strokes.

K.K.   

August 14, 2020 5:28 pm  #6

It is interesting, A&W Canada and the US company aren't related at all corporately, they even have different logos.  Also the US company dumped the burger family decades ago, other than the papa burger.  Here you can still get a mama, papa, teen, grandpa and something called a buddy burger.  And I don't believe the US operation offers breakfasts either.  A&W claims to be Canada's fastest growing burger chain.

The Canadian company still has the nostalgia feel, even in the design of their restaurants.  A&W Canada pioneered the meatless burger and using meat with no hormones or steroids long before the other burger chains.  They have been promoting this in their advertising with the A&W manager guy for years now. 

August 14, 2020 5:33 pm  #7

A&W was all over TV during the mid-70s with its classic "Root Bear" commercial. Who can forget that infamous tuba tune?

August 14, 2020 5:45 pm  #8

When I read this thread, it occurred to me that we heard something similar in the last few years but we couldn't nail it down. I was thinking it was an in-store corporate stream with tunes interspersed at the Hero Burger on Maple Grove in Oakville. Val instead thought we heard the same type of thing at South Street Burger (correction) on Burloak on the Oakville/Burlington border.
Ring a bell with anyone?

Last edited by mike marshall (August 14, 2020 11:42 pm)

August 14, 2020 10:15 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

A&W was all over TV during the mid-70s with its classic "Root Bear" commercial. Who can forget that infamous tuba tune?

I still love the bear, but I really love the ads with the manager in it...something always just has to go wrong! lol 

August 14, 2020 10:35 pm  #10

Good Concept. The stream is distorted on some songs and can use some audio processing work.