sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 14, 2020 10:11 am  #1

The "Anyone Can Be A Radio DJ" Station

Ever wanted to host your own radio show, even if it’s just for an hour? That’s the concept behind a British online entity called “Reach On Air.” They allow anyone, no matter how little experience they have, to get a randomly time-slotted radio show for one hour during an average week.

It’s an interesting idea, since so many people who’ve never worked in the business secretly harbour the desire to give it a try just once. The “station” will let you put on whatever kind of music you want (one runs nothing but novelty tunes, while another does Celtic rock and a third airs a quiz show. There’s oldies, dance music, hits from the 40s and more.)

Each of the 168 weekly hours is different and there’s no guarantee of when you’ll be on. But the station provides all the imaging and you’ll only need a computer, a mic and your favourite tunes. There are various flavours of membership in this thing, ranging from free to premium, all of which carry a variety of privileges.

So far, there are bank workers, truck drivers, construction workers, grocery store clerks and more who have all taken an hour of “air time.”

It’s intriguing, although you can’t expect a huge audience and I’m pretty sure the professional quality varies widely. An archive is kept for 2 weeks in case anyone missed it the first time. The one thing I haven’t been able to figure out is whether anyone outside of the U.K. is eligible to join, since it’s based there. It’s not outlined either way in the terms and conditions.

And yes, there are other choices for this kind of thing – most notably Live365, which lets you set up your own radio station. But not everyone has a full 24-hour-a-day format in them. So if you’ve ever wanted to try radio for an hour just to see if it’s for you, you can reach out to Reach On radio.

And be sure to tell your family and friends. Otherwise you can’t be sure there will be anyone listening!

The "Anyone can be a Radio DJ" station, dances past 1,000 live shows

ReachOnAir.com

August 14, 2020 4:21 pm  #2

Re: The "Anyone Can Be A Radio DJ" Station

"Be a DJ" is how I got my gig at Northumberland 89.7!

https://northumberland897.ca/forgotten-45s

Last edited by Dale Patterson (August 14, 2020 8:17 pm)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram