sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 14, 2020 3:18 pm  #1

When CHML in The Hammer Was Oldies

I had forgotten that back in the 90's for a time CHML Hamilton was an oldies radio station.  Here is a jingle package from our friends at RadioWest and their site...Anyone know of any airchecks of CHML from this time?  
https://www.radiowest.ca/jingles19/jotd200122chmlc21clo1.mp3

Last edited by paterson1 (August 14, 2020 5:36 pm)

August 15, 2020 12:08 pm  #2

Re: When CHML in The Hammer Was Oldies

What was CKOC playing then?

August 15, 2020 12:54 pm  #3

CKOC (Oldies 1150) went oldies February 17 1992 after airing the Top 500 Hits of All Time.  I don't know if there was some cross over with CHML.  They may have been oldies from the late 80's to 1992.  The CHML jingles were from the 1990's.

Even if CHML and CKOC were both oldies or gold it likely wasn't for very long and CHML would never have been music 24/7.  They always had  talk shows, more news and live sports and I don't recall them ever really having a top 40 type of format that pushed music.  They were sort of like Hamilton's version of CFRB but somewhat more contemporary and a little less conservative in their on air style. Maybe closer to a CKEY sound.

CHML may have veered with less rock for their oldies and played a little more MOR gold. Judging by the sound of the jingles, they don't really have a strong rock and roll sound to them.  Don't recall ML ever playing anything heavy like Led Zepplin or Deep Purple, like CKOC might have played.  

Last edited by paterson1 (August 15, 2020 1:02 pm)

August 15, 2020 3:23 pm  #4

paterson1 wrote:

CHML may have veered with less rock for their oldies and played a little more MOR gold. Judging by the sound of the jingles, they don't really have a strong rock and roll sound to them.  Don't recall ML ever playing anything heavy like Led Zepplin or Deep Purple, like CKOC might have played.  

That was quite true. I worked at CHML during that period and they definitely didn't rock like CKOC did with their oldies format. Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple (unless you want to count Nino Tempo and April Stevens) were definitely not part of the playlist.

It's interesting too, even certain artists that were played on 'ML at the time had certain hits that weren't allowable, because they were considered too hard at the time, sometimes even their biggest and most recognizable hits. For example, "American Woman" by The Guess Who was a no-go, but we played plenty of other stuff like "Undun", "Sour Suite" and "No Time". The Rolling Stones only had two songs that showed up in regular rotation: "Ruby Tuesday" and "As Tears Go By". "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" didn't make the cut (although it probably came up plenty of times on John Hardy's "Mouldy Goldy and Hardy" show). Even "Angie" didn't pass the acid test. Even though it's a soft song, I suspect it's because Mick's voice is kind of edgy-sounding compared to "Tears" and "Ruby Tuesday". The oldies portion of the format started sometime around mid-1990 (I think it was over the Victoria Day or Canada Day weekend, I can't recall which). Danny Kingsbury was the program director at time, Bill Kelly was the music director. I remember the format actually did rock at first, because I was a young 'un in the production department doing clean up, which partially consisted of putting music and commercials on carts. (Remember those?) Some of the stuff I carted up at the time included Neil Young's "Cinnamon Girl" and "Southern Man" (which both disappeared pretty quick) and Steppenwolf's "Sookie Sookie" (which also disappeared pretty quick. Danny had listed "The Pusher" as one of the songs to be carted up. The only reason it didn't make the grade was because we didn't have a long enough cart to put it on!) I recall Bill saying that Danny listened all weekend and decided that the format "needed some work", and thus, the aforementioned tunes got purged pretty quick! 

And yes, the oldies weren't 24/7. News, talk and sports made up a good bulk of the format too, making it what most people would refer to as a "Full-service" station. Bob Bratina's "Brat Pack" was fairly music-intensive (when he felt like it!) and so was Bill Kelly's afternoon drive show. I started doing overnights in 1991 as did Ron Funnell, and CHML had its first standalone overnight show (in a long time,at least) that wasn't simulcast with CKDS, which was on its way to morphing into Classic Rock Y95.

Regrettably, I don't have any airchecks from that time, because, as most of you know, it was common practice to record over your airchecks and keep the most recent ones for posterity (or job hunting). If somebody's got any of me, I'd love to hear them. I'd like to hear if I'm as good (or as brutal) as I remember!  

PJ 

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

August 15, 2020 3:51 pm  #5

Thanks for the info Paul.  I have always liked CHML, a good, consistent and somewhat overlooked station.  Bill Kelly has certainly had a long career there.  Listen to him all the time along with Scott Thompson in the afternoon, who is another great host. Scott is one of those guys who is funny when he gets ticked off on air.  Love it when he lambastes Hamilton council.  He and Bill actually let callers and guests speak, not constantly interrupting, or cutting them off.

August 15, 2020 8:53 pm  #6

CHML was never a Top 40 station, but in the late 50's they did have a "Top 40" show on weekdays from 4 -6PM and again from 7-8PM as well as Saturday mornings. They also had a Top 40 chart, although I never saw it published, which, as I recall, was compiled from weekly sales information provided by eight Hamilton  record stores.

August 15, 2020 10:51 pm  #7

Storm wrote:

CHML was never a Top 40 station, but in the late 50's they did have a "Top 40" show on weekdays from 4 -6PM and again from 7-8PM as well as Saturday mornings. They also had a Top 40 chart, although I never saw it published, which, as I recall, was compiled from weekly sales information provided by eight Hamilton  record stores.

For a while in the late 1980's, CHML carried The Dick Clark National Music Survey, which was kind of like competition for Casey Kasem's American Top 40. 1050 CHUM carried it around the same time, too.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!