sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 13, 2020 11:29 am  #1

Religious Group Applies For Scarborough Radio Licence At 105.3 FM

I'm not sure what it is about Scarborough, but it seems to be the focus of a lot of would-be radio entrepreneurs of late. The latest is a group with the rather unwieldy title of the "International Harvesters for Christ Evangelistic Association."

They already run a few stations in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and P.E.I. And they want a low power (150 watts) all-Christian format to be located here at 105.3 FM. The purpose of the place, according to their CRTC application? "To bring people to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ using radio and other forms of communication."

And they'll get their chance to argue its merits when the CRTC holds a hearing on October 13th, while first determining whether there's sufficient market capacity for yet another newcomer. 

There already is at least one station officially licensed to the Toronto city - East FM (aka CJRK-FM), an ethnic format at 102.7. Never mind asking if there's room for another newcomer there. Is there room for another signal anywhere in the GTA? CHOQ, the French outlet, is at 105.1, while CHRY, the old Radio York renamed Vibe 105, is at 105.5. Even with a low power signal, how can there be room to shoehorn in anything between the two? It seems to me it would only make the noise on FM here worse.

They may be a religious outlet, but I suspect they don't have a prayer.

CRTC Hearing

August 13, 2020 11:48 am  #2

Re: Religious Group Applies For Scarborough Radio Licence At 105.3 FM

A few more quick points as I looked deeper into this:

-The proposed call letters would be CKSC.

-In addition to CHOQ and CHRY, there is also potential interference to CFCA Kitchener (105.3), CJED, Niagara Falls ("The River") at 105.1, CKQM (Country 105.1) in Peterborough and CIUX, Uxbridge which is at 105.5 FM. 

I suspect all these stations will be opposed to the application. 

August 13, 2020 12:04 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

A few more quick points as I looked deeper into this:

-The proposed call letters would be CKSC.

-In addition to CHOQ and CHRY, there is also potential interference to CFCA Kitchener (105.3), CJED, Niagara Falls ("The River") at 105.1, CKQM (Country 105.1) in Peterborough and CIUX, Uxbridge which is at 105.5 FM. 

I suspect all these stations will be opposed to the application. 

105.3 was already rejected back in 2016 when 102.7 wanted to snatch it up... 
https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2016/2016-99.pdf

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 13, 2020 12:21 pm  #4

Radiowiz wrote:

They didn't reject "105.3," they rejected the applicant's use of it.

August 13, 2020 12:48 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

And they'll get their chance to argue its merits when the CRTC holds a hearing on October 13th, while first determining whether there's sufficient market capacity for yet another newcomer.

CRTC Hearing

two points of order here.... the public hearing in October is non-appearing, so no merit arguing necessary.   Second, the market capacity study has already taken place, with findings released in June.    Basically, the Commission found that the market cannot sustain a new commercial entrant, however a Christian service will have little economic impact on incumbent licencees. 

August 13, 2020 4:40 pm  #6

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

That's right! That's what I said!
It's still doubtful 105.3 can be used in Scarborough above and beyond other efforts to obtain that frequency for use.

105.3 was also rejected by Fusion radio Scarborough already:  http://airchecker.ca/2011/03/16/from-internet-to-fm-in-scarborough-fusion-fm/

Last edited by Radiowiz (August 13, 2020 4:52 pm)

August 13, 2020 5:48 pm  #7

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

That's right! That's what I said!

Sure, if you think that's how that read 

The only intervention from a technical point of view came from Torres, and it looks like that was addressed. I doubt Bell will get involved for Kitchener or Peterborough this time either. Given that this application doesn't encroach on a competing station's market like the application posted above, and that they're not even holding an in-person hearing, this is probably a slam-dunk.

August 13, 2020 6:10 pm  #8

RadioAaron wrote:

this is probably a slam-dunk.

It's fair enough to suggest that, since 105.5 is a community station not intended to serve Scarborough and 105.1 is not promising to be a Scarborough station. "Toronto area" is all they claim.

CHOQ 105.1 FM Our distribution territory 
(I scrolled down to the bottom and used google translate to get the English)

• Toronto area
  • Castle, Hamilton, Barrie via digital Rogers to channel 957
  • Global via its live accessibility on the internet on choqfm.ca and the free online application Tune In

Source: https://choqfm.ca/qui-sommes-nous/

Last edited by Radiowiz (August 13, 2020 8:50 pm)

August 13, 2020 8:43 pm  #9

what a silly argument this has become.  there's a bottom line here.... that is, will the CRTC approve or deny the 105.3  freq for this christian station.  probably.  At a max ERP of 150w, they're not going to be heard beyond a few kms from the transmitter.  i have no idea why there are outdated disagreements about it all

BTW, in their deficiency report, they identified the following as target communities..."Scarborough, Agincourt, Malvern, Highland Creek, West Hill, Bendale and Pickering would beconsidered local."   that is not the GTA or "Toronto area" as described above.

there are so many arguments currently going on on SOWNY about "fake news".  i just thought i'd add some perspective on this particular issue.