sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 7, 2020 1:43 pm  #1

The Outdated SFX That Finally Died On One All News Station

I will never forget the sound and if you're old enough to have been in a newsroom when they existed, neither will you - the clickety-clack of the old teletype that was used to deliver news copy to radio and TV stations. The noise of that machine typing away used to be used on CFTR newscasts back in its rock and roll days and if I'm not mistaken, continued on for many years in its present all-news wheel incarnation. 

It was a staple to add a special pizzaz background for many formats, especially Top 40 outlets in the 60s and 70s. But man, were they noisy. At one station I worked at in the 70s, it was kept in a separate closet like room with the door closed because it was just too loud. You could still hear the bells, though, if a bulletin came in, but it made the whole place a lot less chaotic.   

But then computers took over and it became as anachronistic as that old dial-up modem noise in the early days of the Internet.  

So I was surprised to read that one very famous radio station was still using it as recently as a few weeks ago. KYW in Philadelphia has been doing all news for decades. But up until now, that ever present sound effect was a part of its on-air sound, perhaps the last place in the world to still use it. 

As the article below indicates, a lot of people in Philly who listen to the station have noticed - and they don't necessarily like its absence. I know this isn't a local story, per se, but I find it fascinating that the almost cliched SFX was still being used by someone so late into 2020. Too bad computers don't make more noise!

The day the teletype died: Why KYW silenced a Philadelphia tradition

August 7, 2020 1:58 pm  #2

Re: The Outdated SFX That Finally Died On One All News Station

I have some very old information regarding that.
FCC once had a very strict rule that you are not allowed to have any dead air for x length of time no matter what.  (CRTC may or may not have a similar rule)
If news content were to fail to deliver for any reason outside of the restricted length allowed for dead air, the clickity clack sound would demonstrate intent to be on air at ALL TIMES.  
(without having to go to a tone or anything)

FCC (& CRTC?) may have dropped that regulation, making the need for extra background sound no longer necessary. 

However, it DOES create an upset because now there really is nothing there to separate a station that has been thrown off air from a station with a simple temporary loss of a news story (error) or whatever...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 7, 2020 3:19 pm  #3

When I did news at CKLP-Parry Sound in the early 80s, the BN printer was always rattling away in the background. One quiet afternoon, a couple of workers came in to do some ceiling work and when the BN printer sprang to life, one worker looked at it and said, "Oh, so that's your sound effects machine."   

August 7, 2020 5:20 pm  #4

I can’t remember if WINS New York still uses it. Been a long time since I’ve been in range of it.

August 8, 2020 10:30 am  #5

It was dropped about 10 years ago, then brought back due to listener feedback, then modernized, then dropped again recently.  I don't believe any of the CBS stations now owned by Entercom use it any longer.  I always found it distracting.