sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 6, 2020 4:43 pm  #1

Two Coming Documentaries About Radio To Watch For

Most of the time, radio gets the shaft when it comes to being featured as a topic in movies or on TV – or on radio itself for that matter!

But now two documentaries are in the works (one finished, one awaiting production) that tackles very different stories from the medium.

The first and most imminent will be of interest to those who get HBO. Next October, they’ll be presenting a pic called “Wild Card: The Downfall of a Radio Loudmouth.” It’s touted as being a total access look at the story of Craig Carton, one of the popular co-hosts of WFAN New York’s drivetime show and a guy making a fortune. He had it all and was on top of the world, with huge ratings and name recognition in the biggest media market in the world.

But then he threw it all away, with a gambling problem that led to a multi-million dollar illegal ticket selling scheme – and ultimately a 42-month prison sentence. Talk about penthouse to the outhouse.

The crew was given unfettered access to Carton as this entire nightmare unfolded and they claim to have put together a fascinating portrait of a radio talent who had it all and lost it to greed and addiction. (The fact the station is thinking of hiring him back considering the money he bilked people out of is simply stunning.) It’s scheduled to start airing on HBO in the U.S. on Oct. 7th. We may see it here at the same time.

“Wild Card: The Downfall of a Radio Loudmouth.”

The other documentary hasn’t started shooting yet. But if you’re into more modern music, “The World’s Most Dangerous Radio Station” may be for you. It’s about the first all Hip Hop radio station and the guy behind it. KDAY Los Angeles was an AM station (yes, an AM station!) that took on the format before anyone else and a music/program director named Gary Mack who took a chance on an idea that no one else thought would work.

From Deadline.com:

"The doc recounts the dawn of Hip Hop when an obscure Los Angeles AM radio station and its maverick programmer were instrumental in the early careers of Jay Z, Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, Run DMC, Queen Latifah, Ice-T and many others. Additionally, beginning with Dr. Dre as his first On Air Mixer, Mack went on to form the most powerful group of Radio Mix DJs’ ever assembled.”

No word on whether it will be shown in theatres, on TV or a streaming service. It’s due to start filming next year.

‘The World’s Most Dangerous Radio Station’; Doc Chronicles Legendary Music Director Greg Mack And His Outlet 1580 KDAY

August 6, 2020 6:12 pm  #2

Re: Two Coming Documentaries About Radio To Watch For

Charlie wrote:

exclusive X-rated 'behind the scenes' footage featuring Mike Bullard.  Check your local listings

Surely you jest, Chuck

August 7, 2020 2:10 pm  #3

speaking of bullard, back in the day, my then teenage daughter went to bullard's show to see a band perform. several weeks later, my daughter was contacted, by a member of the bullard show staff, to try to convince her to attend an upcoming taping. apparently, filling the audience seats was an ongoing problem. i confirmed this when i was involved in another ctv production being taped at the masonic hall. during a break, one of the camera ops (who also worked on the bullard show) told me how they would place audience members in one group with cameras focused on that group to present the illusion of a "full house" (when there were plenty of empty seats).

August 7, 2020 2:14 pm  #4

I have to give frank credit for coming up with resources to put together all of these vanity projects. hell. even rogers have listed a few of them on their pay-per-view movie platform. maybe it's a can-con thing?

September 17, 2020 2:00 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

Next October, (HBO will) be presenting a pic called “Wild Card: The Downfall of a Radio Loudmouth.” It’s touted as being a total access look at the story of Craig Carton, one of the popular co-hosts of WFAN New York’s drivetime show and a guy making a fortune. He had it all and was on top of the world, with huge ratings and name recognition in the biggest media market in the world.

But then he threw it all away, with a gambling problem that led to a multi-million dollar illegal ticket selling scheme – and ultimately a 42-month prison sentence. Talk about penthouse to the outhouse.

The crew was given unfettered access to Carton as this entire nightmare unfolded and they claim to have put together a fascinating portrait of a radio talent who had it all and lost it to greed and addiction. (The fact the station is thinking of hiring him back considering the money he bilked people out of is simply stunning.) It’s scheduled to start airing on HBO in the U.S. on Oct. 7th. We may see it here at the same time.

HBO has now released the trailer for this documentary and I have to say, it looks very compelling.