sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 5, 2020 9:36 pm  #1

Veteran Newscaster Peter Ray, Famed For Sign-Off, Dies At 71

You may not know the name Peter Ray, but you'd almost certainly recognize his voice. He was on almost every radio station's newscasts at one time or another, doing reports out of Montreal. He worked for about 40 years as a reporter for Broadcast News (now The Canadian Press) and just about any place that had a radio newscast used his reports at one time or another. 

His rapid-fire style and his sign-off, "Peter Ray, Montreal," made him instantly memorable. 

He was only 71 when cancer claimed him this week. 

It seems only fitting that Colin Perkel, one of his colleagues at CP and another veteran there, composed his obit, at the link below. 

Veteran Canadian Press broadcast journalist Peter Ray dies at age 71  

August 5, 2020 10:08 pm  #2

Re: Veteran Newscaster Peter Ray, Famed For Sign-Off, Dies At 71

In this terrific remembrance posted on Facebook, Ray recalls the war of the various radio news services in the 70s and 80s, and how they all strived to get the jump on the competition. 

August 5, 2020 10:15 pm  #3

I knew Peter. Fun loving guy.

Although we never worked together we crossed paths more than once. 

Sad to read this. May he R.I.P.

August 6, 2020 7:37 am  #4

I worked with Peter for almost 30 years at BN/CP. I was in the audio room in Toronto while he filed reports from all over Quebec. Amazingly, in all those years, we spoke on the phone almost daily, but we never met in person. We certainly butted heads on many occasions, but we had some laughs too.
Rest In Peace, Peter.

-30-

August 7, 2020 7:18 am  #5

I'll join my former BN colleagues in saying how much we'll all miss Peter.  A great guy and a terrific reporter.