sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 30, 2020 1:00 pm  #1

Cousin Brucie Leaving SiriusXM's "60s On 6" After 15 Years

He may be the most famous jock on the satellite pay radio service and he's been associated with the oldies channel for nearly two decades. His last show will be on Saturday night.

No immediate reason was given for the decision and it's not clear if Bruce is done with the medium or plans to turn up somewhere else. He's 84 years old and is a true radio survivor. He's been on the air in one form or another (including famous stints at WABC and WCBS-FM in New York along with owning his own stations) since the late 1950s. 

‘Cousin Brucie’ to Exit Sirius XM’s ’60s on 6 Channel After 15 Years on the Air

July 30, 2020 4:08 pm  #2

Re: Cousin Brucie Leaving SiriusXM's "60s On 6" After 15 Years

If this means more Pat St. John on Wednesdays, I'm all for it.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

July 31, 2020 8:39 am  #3

I am a big fan of the Cuz.   Listened to him when I was a kid, on WABC.  Heard him 2 or 3 weeks ago, interviewing Jose Feliciano.  Jose would have been a "great" interview, he was very talkative and wanted to talk about what he's doing now.... but I felt that Brucie wasn't really up to the interview, kind of stuck in a rut....and so I was disappointed at the result....maybe a good decision to hang up his headphones.  BTW his raspy voice sounds like he's got some medical issues too....hope his health is OK.   

July 31, 2020 9:33 am  #4

A little off topic, but speaking of raspy voices would be Nena Blackwood on SiriusXM one of the original VJ's from MTV.  Her breaks are hard to listen to with her raspy almost painful sounding voice. I usually flip the channel when she is speaking. 

I do recall back in the 80's she had a rather husky voice, but she is almost unlistenable to me at least.  Actually I don't find any of the former VJ's that engaging on air, they all sound like they do next to no show prep. 

I do like Pat St. John, he always has a good show and I appreciate his style.  Never really caught much of Cousin Brucie over the years unfortunately. Hope he enjoys retirement.

August 1, 2020 10:20 pm  #5

Saturday was Cousin Brucie's final night on SiriusXM, but according to his Facebook page, despite the fact he's 84, he's adamant that he's NOT retiring...

"A Message From The Cuz....

Cousins, I know that this is a very trying time for all of us. I have been reading your Posts on the Bulletin Boards. Thank you, Thank you for your sensitivity and your good wishes.

Let me assure you once again - I Am Not Retiring. After Jodie and I take some time to relax - I promise you that we will be together again on the Radio. By the way, Jodie and I are both in good health and we are looking forward to this next adventure. Coming Soon !!!'

What could an 84-year-old veteran rock jock possibly do for an encore? 

August 2, 2020 1:03 am  #6

He never would have had to leave CBS if they didn't switch to Jack FM in 2005. 
One of the biggest mistakes CBS ever made.  

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 2, 2020 10:38 am  #7

If you missed Cousin Brucie's final sign-off, you can hear it here.