sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 30, 2020 8:14 pm  #1

Viewer Alert: WNED Shows Doc On George Harrison’s Odd Film Company

I’m not sure how many people here care, but if you’ve ever seen Monty Python's classic "The Life of Brian,” you’ve seen a production from Handmade Films. That’s the movie studio owned by the late Beatle George Harrison, who started the venture to try and make different kinds of films. At that, at least, he certainly succeeded.

A documentary that features Harrison, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam and Michael Palin, among others, tells the story of the bizarre firm, that saw Harrison mortgage his own house to finance it.

According to the WNED schedule page:

"AN ACCIDENTAL STUDIO: THE STORY OF HANDMADE FILMS tells the tale behind musician George Harrison's HandMade Films, the small British production company behind such maverick hits as Life of Brian, The Long Good Friday, Time Bandits, Mona Lisa, and Withnail and I. Featuring footage of Harrison himself, as well as exclusive interviews with Monty Python members Michael Palin and Terry Gilliam, actors Richard E. Grant and Bob Hoskins, and screenwriter Neil Jordan, AN ACCIDENTAL STUDIO explores HandMade's baptism by fire, the risks it took in producing uniquely crafted films, and the many revealing stories behind its productions."

If this sounds like something that interests you, it airs Friday night at 9 PM on Channel 17.

July 31, 2020 7:07 am  #2

Re: Viewer Alert: WNED Shows Doc On George Harrison’s Odd Film Company

Thanks for the heads up RA. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

July 31, 2020 8:05 am  #3

Re: Viewer Alert: WNED Shows Doc On George Harrison’s Odd Film Company

Me Too.  Thanks very much for the heads up RA.