sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 29, 2020 4:07 pm  #1

Slacking off before quitting

Somewhat off-topic but one of my professional peeves is the tendency of some in an employment situation to slack off after giving notice. I was once badly screwed over by a co-worker who gave her two weeks and then just stopped showing up after four days (she was a production manager who didn't leave notes on the upcoming projects to which was assigned - projects occurring before her quit date).

Even the old ghosting at noon on the last Friday bugs me. I haven't quit many jobs but I've made it a point to work at full output until the end (if only to set some kind of example).

July 29, 2020 4:16 pm  #2

Re: Slacking off before quitting

I've always been of the mindset that you should work hard to the last day as a point of personal pride. Plus, word gets around and it only helps your profile in a very competitive industry. 

I well recall stories out of CFTR in the final days of Brady in the Morning, where Jim Brady was told a good 6 months or so beforehand that they weren't going to renew his contract. He did a serviceable job for that half year, but if you've ever heard those shows, you can tell his heart wasn't in it, and he didn't go that extra mile to make his show entertaining. Time, temperature, record intros and extros, the occasional one liner and that was it. No creativity and no effort. 

I liked the guy and knew him, but I was surprised when he did that. He must have felt let down and somewhat bitter, since he'd helped take the station to #1 and finally beaten CHUM. I was also kind of stunned that management left him on the air to partially tank the all-important morning shift. Not a great outcome either way around.

July 29, 2020 11:15 pm  #3

Re: Slacking off before quitting

I know a guy who was working a medium market, and got a job as part of the morning show in major market. Employer wouldn’t let him out of his contract early, so spent a couple of frustrating months waiting to join the new already started morning show. One of the things he did was crosswords on the air.