sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 17, 2020 9:16 am  #1

Would Extending The FM Band Save AM Radio Stations?

A letter to Radio World is suggesting that the way to save AM stations is to abandon the band altogether, letting them all migrate over to FM. How to make room? Expand the FM dial to allow for the newcomers to slide over, mandate new radios be forced to receive the new sort of "X" band and use the AM spectrum for things like Traveller's Information Services and the broadcast of City Hall meetings. 

Wow, that's quite a suggestion and I doubt it would work in any case. Is it even possible to extend the FM band? Interesting to think about, though, but I'm pretty sure obsoleting every radio in North America is just one of many reasons why it will never happen. 

Letter: AM Migration Is Still a Good Idea 

July 17, 2020 7:15 pm  #2

Re: Would Extending The FM Band Save AM Radio Stations?

If that’s the case, say goodbye to the clear channels, which even during the day reach over a hundred miles.

July 29, 2020 2:56 pm  #3

I've read an article suggesting all AM radio go HD only.  Also FM can't really be expanded as above 107.9FM is the aircraft band.  

July 29, 2020 5:13 pm  #4

There was talk about CKDO AM's poor signal on the WECK thread. I have to be honest I have not listened to that but did today. I am in the east end and so the signal was OK and I compared the AM signal to their HD on FM and recorded the sample below. The AM signal is recorded until 2:20 and then you will hear the HD signal. The HD is delayed and so you will hear some of the broadcast repeated with the switch.

Their HD is HD 3 and so there is probably some deterioration because of that but it still sounds better than the AM despite the digital compression etc.

Music on AM might sound a bit better if they brought back AM stereo and AM HD well that's a whole other kettle of fish with it's own set of problems.

The AM section sounded quite bad on the first sample andf I recorded a second on a diffrent tuner and even though the signal strenght showed less it sounds slightly better. The swithover to digital is at 3:04

UPDATED CKDO AM HD COMPARISON

CKDO AM & HD

Last edited by Fitz (July 30, 2020 9:36 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/