sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 28, 2020 9:17 pm  #1

Anyone ever try VMedia??

https://www.vmedia.ca/en

Last edited by cash (July 28, 2020 9:19 pm)

July 28, 2020 10:02 pm  #2

Re: Anyone ever try VMedia??

Can't say I've ever tried VMedia, but I've certainly seen all the busback ads. 

Anyone here remember "Look TV?" It was a multipoint distribution service that offered cable-like options for its few customers. My late father was one of them. He put a Look disc (not a dish) on his existing TV antenna and then paid for a number of channels. This would have been sometime in the late 90s.

I don't remember a lot about it, but I know they weren't very good at what they did. He was an amateur pilot and loved flight, so I I tried to buy him what I think was called the Wings channel, now long defunct. I paid them for a year for this specific station as a birthday gift, and instead they applied it to his overall subscription and used it up in one month. 

No surprise they went bankrupt and had a really messy ending a few years later.

July 28, 2020 10:22 pm  #3

I remember the company, RA.  I was actually considering them,  when the first reports started appearing about financial problems.  I stayed with Rogers...lol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Look_Communications

July 28, 2020 10:36 pm  #4

I've subscribed to their lowest level internet service for the last two years - DSL6.

Connection speed is up to 6 Mbps (DOWN) / 800 Kbps (UP) - neither of which you will ever achieve) - but you don't need it - and that comes with UNLIMITED download. This - on a Dry ADSL connection (*).

I have NEVER had any issues with PRIME, CRAVE, NETFLIX, or YouTube video streaming, all in their 1080 HD modes. No buffering whatsoever. I'd recommend it to anyone who would not be overtaxing its limited download speed by  having multiple devices (kids) all watching different streaming services simultaneously. It's the cheapest internet service I have found and personally have no need for anything better.

(*)  "DRY ADSL" = (A.synchrous D.igital S.ubscriver L.ine)  -  means a faster download speed vs. slower upload speed, using an analog Bell line that has no dial tone.

So if you have long ago cancelled your old Bell home phone line, 1-pair, of the (normally) 2-pair, analog phone wires still in existence between your house and the pole/underground, is activated, but only carries a digital signal (NO dial tone).

I once upon a time had LOOK TV as well. I had an their antenna (which when installed damaged my roof) pointed at the CN Tower.

When I cancelled because they never received their applied-for license to be able to provide promised internet service, I had to return the equipment to their office location in Milton. I got a receipt for the return of the 'boxes' only after demanding one be issued, but later on they tried to chase after me wanting me to pay them for what they claimed were the unreturned devices. I had to go back to Milton and show them the receipt they issued because they refused to believe my claim (by phone call) that I had brought their crap back to them. They did NOT want the antenna - only the 'boxes'.

Last edited by DeepTracks (July 28, 2020 10:51 pm)

July 28, 2020 10:49 pm  #5

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's when you are forced to have both the internet and TV with the same company. 
"To enjoy VMedia’s innovative TV service, you will need VMedia internet. Choose among our great unlimited internet plans at low, low prices. Local channels are available only in their respective regions.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 28, 2020 11:26 pm  #6

Haven't used Vmedia .. BUT .. 

I'm currently giving Teksavvy TV a try (on VDSL 50down/10up).  I've had it a week & so far it's been pretty decent.  Haven't used my Rogers box in 4 days.  The true test will be how well it handles "fast action" like hockey.

Teksavvy TV can run off many different devices; i'm running mine off an Amazon Firestick 4K.

So it's either $80/month to continue Rogers Popular package (albeit i've been getting a discount on that prices for several years now; just have to phone in each year & whine a bit)  or go with Teksavvy for the stuff i actually watch which is News + Sports .. with the required Basic, that comes to $48/month with no whining required.

My dilemma is i like the "redundancy" of having my TV on cable & my internet on VDSL  .. but that's becoming harder to justify.

p.s. The Teksavvy guide & channel changing is so, so, so much faster than Rogers.

Last edited by g121 (July 28, 2020 11:27 pm)

July 29, 2020 1:16 am  #7

RadioActive wrote:

Anyone here remember "Look TV?"

We do. This probably won't add much to the discussion but we go back to Internet Direct or idirect. Still have our original idirect Email.
Internet Direct was located in Etobicoke and back in the '90s, they had a special deal for media people. They would give you a free internet connection with a no-charge Email account. That eventually came to a screeching halt somewhere along the line as we bounced from successive acquisitions.
IDirect (great people) >> Look >> Telnet >> Fibernetics >> Worldline.
Kinda like Abbott and Costello's Who's On First routine.

July 29, 2020 1:32 am  #8

I have not, since I don't like being forced to put all my internet and TV eggs into one basket (as the saying goes, and yes, I know I have everything with Rogers, but I can drop their internet for another company and still keep Rogers Cable)

Anyway, I came across this, which seems to have good mention for Vmedia, but also for other options out there:
https://movingwaldo.ca/moving-tips/big-secret-the-alternative-internet-and-tv-providers-that-will-make-you-save-big-time/

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 29, 2020 7:53 am  #9

A family member has VMedia Internet service.  It was installed by Rogers and uses Rogers' infrastructure into the house.  Works well at a fraction of Rogers' price for 300 Megs/unlimited.  Their TV service doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the big guys, but I understand it is good value and reliable.

July 29, 2020 11:23 am  #10

I was a subscriber for 2 yrs (2017-2018) with TV and Internet. I had no real issues with the service and would recommend it if your looking to have these services for a good value.

July 29, 2020 2:33 pm  #11

Radiowiz wrote:

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's when you are forced to have both the internet and TV with the same company. 
"To enjoy VMedia’s innovative TV service, you will need VMedia internet. Choose among our great unlimited internet plans at low, low prices. Local channels are available only in their respective regions.

That's because of our rights police, broadcasters and the CRTC.     They require the network for TV to be secured from the outside world, unless the broadcaster agrees, which most don't.    The only way Vmedia, Teksavvy, Start  and companies like it can do this is require you to use their internet service.   Then they can make your box/mobile app only work on their network for the channels that request this (which is most),    Vmedia got sued and lost when they tried to provide OTA channels without their internet service a few years ago.   It ended with a settlement and having the system we have needing internet service with the product.     Rogers and Bell on the other hand own the network to your home, so it's possible to divide the tv and internet service while keeping them secured. 

July 30, 2020 7:25 am  #12

I switched to VMedia from Rogers last year and it was a big mistake. I really wanted it to be good. There was a lot of buffering when watching shows.  Also, the fast forward had no preview so you never knew where you'd end up. I felt like I was beta testing a new product. I am not a fan of Rogers (or Bell for that matter) but I swtiched back within a month. I hope VMedia and other smaller companies get better because I prefer not to see IPTV left to just a couple of big companies.

Last edited by Leslieville Bill (July 30, 2020 7:27 am)

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio.