sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 25, 2020 3:44 pm  #1

Regis Philbin dead at 88

July 25, 2020 7:42 pm  #2

Re: Regis Philbin dead at 88

"did regis philbin pass away?"  "yes"  "is that your final answer?"   btw, he had a good run. when i was a kid, i remember regis being joey bishop's "sidekick" on the "joey bishop show". my parents didn't watch that show much... meanwhile, "the merv griffin show" was another story!

July 25, 2020 9:22 pm  #3

Someone should also mention Peter Green from Fleetwood Mac. Dead at 73.

If things tend to happen in 3's...who's next?? Hopefully nobody...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 26, 2020 4:02 pm  #4

Radiowiz wrote:

Someone should also mention Peter Green from Fleetwood Mac. Dead at 73.

If things tend to happen in 3's...who's next?? Hopefully nobody...

Unfortunately, there has been a third. It's Olivia De Havilland, one of the last of the studio system stars from the so-called "Golden Age of Hollywood."

Her most famous role was as Melanie Wilkes in the 1939 classic "Gone With the Wind," but she was quite a pioneer in showbiz, winning a precedent setting court case against her studio that would set a standard for stars in the years to come.  

And she had quite a run - she was an amazing 104 when she passed away on Saturday. 

Olivia De Havilland, Oscar-Winning Actress, Dies At 104 

The 7 Things You Never Knew About Olivia De Havilland

[Edit: And I guess locally, we could say Eddie Shack technically makes it 4 in the same weekend. Amazingly, despite their age and the pandemic, none of them seem to have succumbed to COVID-19.]

Last edited by RadioActive (July 26, 2020 4:08 pm)

July 26, 2020 4:55 pm  #5

George Elroy Boyd, Canada's first Black anchor of a national newscast passed away yesterday too. 
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/george-elroy-boyd-canada-black-national-news-anchor-dies-1.5663391

July 26, 2020 11:52 pm  #6

one of the impressive things (to me) about regis is the fact that even in his 80's he remained being a valuable media commodity. in other words, he never succumbed (perhaps it was a gene thing) to the word "elderly". 

July 27, 2020 10:13 pm  #7

Howard Stern paid a nice tribute to Regis today.