sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 25, 2020 1:32 pm  #1


oh, no, not again!

Since I'm working from home I have to have news networks on all through my shift.  I'm noticing that the ads are becoming more and more repetitious.... but by far the worst is CP-24.  I know they have more... but it seems that they basically have three or four sponsors with ads repeating sometimes twice or three times in the same break.
Harold the jewelry buyer... Oliver the gold buyer...Prezler law etc... they run pretty well back to back to back.
Over on CTV they have endless showings of the monkey-faced guy who sells private health insurance.  I can't even look at these ads anymore... even hearing their voices, so I keep the sound down most of the time.  Is all this because nobody is out getting new ads because of COVID 19, or do they just not care?  It's a form of psychological abuse. 

 

July 25, 2020 5:02 pm  #2


Re: oh, no, not again!

My mother-in-law passed away shortly before Covid hit (merciful considering she was bedridden and almost entirely dependent on PSWs, but that's another thing).

As her brain turned to a shit slurry she had a TV on in front of her tuned 24/7 to CP24 (at her insistence). I firmly believe it accelerated her decline.

 

July 25, 2020 5:47 pm  #3


Re: oh, no, not again!

I'm very sorry to hear about your mother, but CP-24...Assisted dying?
 

     Thread Starter
 

July 26, 2020 8:33 am  #4


Re: oh, no, not again!

newsguy1 wrote:

I'm very sorry to hear about your mother, but CP-24...Assisted dying?
 

Wouldn't hurt them to have a 680 News-style disclaimer encouraging viewers to tune in sparingly. 

If it were up to me, I'd have them add the following copy to their crawl at the end of every loop: 'Caution: Prolonged exposure to CP 24 may be harmful to your health."
 

 

July 26, 2020 8:54 am  #5


Re: oh, no, not again!

newsguy1 wrote:

Since I'm working from home I have to have news networks on all through my shift.  I'm noticing that the ads are becoming more and more repetitious.... but by far the worst is CP-24.  I know they have more... but it seems that they basically have three or four sponsors with ads repeating sometimes twice or three times in the same break.
Harold the jewelry buyer... Oliver the gold buyer...Prezler law etc... they run pretty well back to back to back.
Over on CTV they have endless showings of the monkey-faced guy who sells private health insurance.  I can't even look at these ads anymore... even hearing their voices, so I keep the sound down most of the time.  Is all this because nobody is out getting new ads because of COVID 19, or do they just not care?  It's a form of psychological abuse. 

You forgot RCC...whatever the heck that is! 

 

July 26, 2020 12:20 pm  #6


Re: oh, no, not again!

Kosmos Kagool wrote:

Did you consider buying her a Netflix subscription or taking a DVD + lunch from a nearby delicatessan and arrange regular drop-in visits from her church or other old circle of friends, to ensure that her brain was regularly exercised?    Or was it left to nursing home staff to keep her intellectually stimulated? 

 

We had her in a private assisted living facility for a short while before discovering that 1) the care was entirely inadequate for the staggering cost; and 2) she hated it, so home she came. Yeah she had a roku with Netflix, youtube and dozens of other channels but was too infirm to control it - and I don't know if you've had experience with PSWs these days but they aren't precisely the sharpest tools when it comes to anything remotely electronic or mechanical.
 

 

July 26, 2020 12:33 pm  #7


Re: oh, no, not again!

If anyone has some vision and cash, I have wanted to have a "Good news" channel in Doctors offices, clinics, the bad news doesn't help if you're sick.

If you're sick, bad news doesn't "Pick up the spirits" ...in fact bad news is akin to playing Season's in the Sun, non-stop on the radio...


Anyone want to make this happen? Remember too, Patch Adams used humour to heal...I think a channel like this in every waiting room across Canada would rock!

 


The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...
 

July 26, 2020 12:41 pm  #8


Re: oh, no, not again!

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

If anyone has some vision and cash, I have wanted to have a "Good news" channel in Doctors offices...
 

Like in Soylent Green? Cool! I found recently that Twitch TV has a variety of 24/7 streaming channels for shows like Iron Chef and MST3K. I shoudl've put that stuff on when I could.

 

July 26, 2020 1:01 pm  #9


Re: oh, no, not again!

Years ago I worked on Vancouver Island and I seem to remember a smaller radio station decided to do away with unhappy news... only good news.  It worked as a novelty for a while but I don't think it lasted long.  Although nowadays... who knows since so many people think we give fake news anyway (Thanks, Donald Trump) 

     Thread Starter
 

July 26, 2020 2:24 pm  #10


Re: oh, no, not again!

newsguy1 wrote:

Years ago I worked on Vancouver Island and I seem to remember a smaller radio station decided to do away with unhappy news... only good news.  It worked as a novelty for a while but I don't think it lasted long.  Although nowadays... who knows since so many people think we give fake news anyway (Thanks, Donald Trump) 

 
Distrust in some media started long before Trump took office.