sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 16, 2015 8:08 pm  #1

another independant is about to go

"my broadcasting corp"  is awaiting crtc approval to purchase pineridge broadcasting's (based in cobourg). pineridge operation runs 3 stations (2 in cobourg and one in nearby peterborough).  that will increase mbc's ontario total to 16 stations.

June 16, 2015 9:54 pm  #2

Re: another independant is about to go

isn't MY Broadcasting "independent"?  what's your definition of such?  I'd posit that any non-publicly traded monstrosity is still independent?  MYFM, Acadia, Bayshore, Blackburn, Evanov, Golden West, Maritime, etc and so on are still non public....

June 16, 2015 10:07 pm  #3

splunge wrote:

isn't MY Broadcasting "independent"?  what's your definition of such?  I'd posit that any non-publicly traded monstrosity is still independent?  MYFM, Acadia, Bayshore, Blackburn, Evanov, Golden West, Maritime, etc and so on are still non public....

It means there's one less independent radio company out there while another "little guy" grows.
The bright side is, at least it's not one of the big guys swallowing up Pineridge.

Last edited by Radiowiz (June 16, 2015 10:08 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 17, 2015 1:00 am  #4

what i mean by "independant" is locally owned and operated. i wouldn't define a large group of stations that are run from a centralized area as being "independant  (publicly traded or not).  like the definition says "free from outside control".

June 17, 2015 8:45 am  #5

In this playground of evil, 'My' seem to be one of the few companies that consistently get the 'decent' vote from the participants.  It's a good thing .   They consistantly come across as a company of broadcasters that work with broadcasters.  Don't know anyone there, but they're doing something right.  They also don't seem to get a licence for an area, only to screw the community within a few months by focusing on the nearest larger city for sales.

I think the litmus test for this is when you find you're being taken over by another company, how do you react?   It could be great, new money, new guidance, new vision and an overall better experience for everyone involved.  Better equipment, more shared resources, real team building and not just paying lip service to it, better Christmas parties.   Or it could be Astral.

I'd rather see the good small companies become medium companies and make the entire business better and stronger.  Having said that, there are other small/medium companies that, if I found out we were being taken over, Id go out and buy hand sanitizer.

Last edited by ig (June 17, 2015 8:48 am)

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

June 17, 2015 12:20 pm  #6

And don't forget Larche Communications...another fiercely independent broadcaster.

June 24, 2015 5:57 pm  #7

I hear good things.   Should be interesting to watch.   This purchase takes them to 20.   All prime Ontario markets, with great regional coverage.    You would think the clock may ticking on a Acadia, Pattison or Newcap to expand their Ontario holdings and scoop these up?   Maybe Vista wants to get bigger?   Seems like prime real estate?