sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 22, 2020 4:36 pm  #1

CBC Starts Whistleblower Line To Report Racism Inside The Corp.

It all stems from an open letter issued by employees last week claiming the CBC - surely the most politically correct broadcaster in the country - is rife with racism.

CBC President Unveils Whistleblower Hotline For Staff To Report Workplace Racism 

July 22, 2020 6:24 pm  #2

Re: CBC Starts Whistleblower Line To Report Racism Inside The Corp.

CBC just trying to get ahead of the next mess unfolding at 250 Front St. W.

oh wait....  their too late...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/dexter-brown-fifth-estate-n-word-investigation-1.5658885

July 22, 2020 6:29 pm  #3

grilled.cheese wrote:

CBC takes workplaces allegations seriously, just ask anyone who worked with Jian Ghomeshi 

👍

July 22, 2020 6:31 pm  #4

"Brown says there was no warning to staff before the screening about the racial slur they would hear. The N-word was used a dozen times in the documentary — in 911 calls, in trial testimony and by a white woman who insisted it had no racial connotation.

Near the end of the documentary, the white mother of a young woman convicted of a hate crime met with the Black judge who presided over her daughter's trial. After that conversation, the mother agreed she should no longer use the N-word.

Sources who were present at the screening say two Fifth Estate employees — host Gillian Findlay and editor Loretta Hicks — used the N-word in staff discussions about the documentary immediately following the screening.

Witnesses in the room at the time described Findlay as quoting a person from the documentary that had just been shown to the group.

In an emailed statement, Findlay said she didn't recall saying the N-word but is sorry if she did.

"Over the course of 15 months, I have revisited that day many times," the statement said. "I have never had — and do not now have — a recollection of repeating the documentary's use of the word myself. If, however, my memory is wrong, and I did quote someone from the film using the word, I apologize. It should not have happened. "

Last edited by Glen Warren (July 22, 2020 6:33 pm)