sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 22, 2020 7:55 am  #1

Reports: GNR 640's Mike Stafford In Hospital With Serious Injury

I thought this was a big enough story to deserve its own thread. Toronto Mike is reporting that GNR640's Mike Stafford has suffered a broken neck, apparently after falling from a ladder while painting. A pic on his Twitter feed appears to show the morning host in hospital with a neck brace. 

If true, and it seems to be, this is a devastating injury and it could mean he may be off the air for some time. It also answers the question in a previous thread about why Oakley was suddenly thrust into the AM slot just as he was about to go off on vacation. If there's any good news in all this, it does not appear Stafford is paralyzed. But of course, he often complained about having a bad back and this won't help those issues. 

In the meantime, Corus has some decisions to make about its morning show and what happens now.

What a sad story and a sad outcome for such a great talent. I know all here wish him a speedy recovery and hope he's back on air soon. 

Source: Facebook via Twitter

July 22, 2020 11:12 am  #2

Re: Reports: GNR 640's Mike Stafford In Hospital With Serious Injury

Get well quick Mike!

July 22, 2020 12:05 pm  #3

I love how many on his facebook feed thought it was a joke. 
They quickly learned it's very serious.
Get well quick Mike!  

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 22, 2020 2:14 pm  #4

What is going on with local talk show hosts? CFRB's Jim Richards revealed on Wednesday's show that he was doored by a car while riding a bike earlier this week. His shoulder was separated although he thought he'd broken his collarbone (luckily he didn't). He went to hospital and he's currently wearing a sling. And that's why Barb DiGiulio was sitting in for him on Tuesday.

And he admits, he wasn't wearing a helmet.

If I were fronting a Toronto radio talk show, I'd definitely watch my step! 

Hope he's feeling better soon, too.

July 22, 2020 2:54 pm  #5

Wow, sad news for sure, I wish Mike a speedy recovery and it is funny how some serious injuries occur doing silly stuff at home or by playing a sport we love...wow...

Also, a speedy recovery to Jim Richards too!

Be safe and well everyone!

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

July 23, 2020 5:29 am  #6

Sorry to hear about Jim Richards and his injury, and I wish him well.

Stafford makes the occasional fleeting reference to what's been said on the big yellow board, so chances are he'll be reading all these posts somewhere down the road.

I wish Mike all the best and I hope he  has a speedy recovery, the airwaves won't be the same without him.

Last edited by betaylored (July 23, 2020 5:31 am)

July 23, 2020 12:36 pm  #7

Hope Mike recovers quickly and his hospital visit is a little smoother than last time.

https://www.canadalandshow.com/global-investigates-mike-stafford-tweets/