sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 16, 2015 11:16 am  #1

Sabotaging Stafford's program

Why, why oh why is Bonnar back up at the plate again?  He is alright in small doses (like 5mins) but gee-whiz.  Tina T has far superior skills to cover Mike's slot. In fact when Tina did her show, Ryan's bizarre and outlandish comments were fantastic fodder and very entertaining additions....plus I miss her laugh.  Did you hear a couple weeks back, when in the middle of Tina's top of the hour update, she had to abruptly push the cough button, compose herself from the laughing-fit that Bonnar instigated.  It seems he tripped on his headphone cord, right in front of her, and was like a turtle on its back.....Ryan please put that one up on the SoundCloud....

Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs... 
~ John McClane

June 16, 2015 3:22 pm  #2

Re: Sabotaging Stafford's program

it looks like mike stafford is back tomorrow, thank god. apparently that ryan guy is doing some shows soon with another schmuck christ cheston on the afternoon show. god help us all!

June 16, 2015 4:00 pm  #3

Grilled.Cheese has always provided quality input on this topic; anyone heard from G.C?

June 16, 2015 5:22 pm  #4

geo wrote:

Grilled.Cheese has always provided quality input on this topic; anyone heard from G.C?

With the exception of the endless plugs, I tend to agree

How about that podcast

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

June 16, 2015 6:51 pm  #5

Grilled Cheese should have his own show. 

I like the podcast, but filling in for Staff should be left to Tina. 

June 16, 2015 8:50 pm  #6

I completely agree! I'm still holding out hope for that great 1-4 show with Tina at the wheel, ArBee being the dumbass he is and the Doctor pushing the fancy coloured buttons!

I am Here, just not all there.

June 17, 2015 12:57 pm  #7

AM640 takes having the show producer as a defacto co-host is, in my opinion, just bad radio (and I do like listening to Stafford and Bill Carroll).  For the most part, producers opinions aren't anything I really care to hear. If it's imparting information or facts about a given subject, that's one thing, but just to have them opine on something?  I push the button when that happens.  I tuned in to hear the host, not the producer.  

Jim Richards on Newstalk 1010 talks to his producer Britt far too often, again in my opinion.  She doesn't go on the air that much, but Jimberly constantly refers to her.  She's basically his on air foil.  Obviously Mike Bendixon approves of it, or it wouldn't be happening.  

Now having stated my opinion, I have to confess that back in the mid 1960's when I was a board op/ producer at CHUM 1050 (it didn't become 1050 CHUM until 1968), fellow op Mike Ruthledge and I used to go on air with Brian Skinner (at his request) to do joke set ups and things like that.  It didn't happen every night, but usually about once a week.  Brian also used to use CHUM's janitor Jerry Kowalski in a recurring on air bit as 'Gerald the make up man'.  Jerry loved going on the air and would often mangle Skinner's jokes in his Polish accent.  Most of the time, he didn't get the joke anyway.  He used to come into the control room after a bit and ask if it was funny.  Usually it was.  Brian was a showman and a damned good one too.  There's an aircheck with Duff Roman from 1967 where I'm operating and doing character impressions on air.  I cringe everytime I think about it.  All that kind of stuff was stopped after CHUM tightened up in '68.  By then I was Production Manager and didn't do board shifts. 

June 17, 2015 1:28 pm  #8

Ryan is a talk blocker at times but Staffy negotiates that well.  Its not that Staffy is inviting RB's comments, its just he is providing RB all the rope on which to get himself all tangle up in (and RB succeeds very well every time).  Hosts need to be smart, articulate, patient and passionate and require a sense of humour.  RB isn't there yet (for show hosting).  D. Diamond was way more compelling when he covered for McArthur (btw I prefer DD).

Jimmy's show on 1010 is quirky and funny at times and the banter to his producer is helpful.  I love when he gets all exercised on a topic. IMHO though, he does not explore the topics enough (ie 6 over 3h vs Stafford's 3 over 3h).  Jimmy seems rushed, takes few calls per topic and is busy trying to tell us "..coming up we are going to talk about..." which disjoints the segment of which he is in the middle.

~ John McClane

June 17, 2015 2:25 pm  #9

wait a minute Doug, you just identified yourself as a hypocrite.

many FM morning/afternoon shows use their ops/producers on air, so what's the difference if it happens on AM radio? CHUM's morning show, derringer on Q, just a few examples. is that wrong?

June 17, 2015 3:16 pm  #10

I normally don't listen to any morning radio shows AM or FM until later in the PM.  Yes many AM & FM programs do this, especially morning shows...but that doesn't make it right.  And by the way, I was expressing my own personal opinion...not telling anyone what not to do or how to run their radio stations or programs.  It's my personal preference to not listen to that kind of on air blather.

Also in my  comment, I was specifically addressing Talk 640 and Newstalk 1010 programs that I'm familiar with on a regular basis.  I like Jim Richards show, and Jim Richards personally...his talk about Brit his producer can be a bit annoying sometimes simply because it's so inside.  I worked with Jim many moons ago at The Fan when he did the program Richards and Rumak. He's a very funny guy, often hilarious.  Would love to hear him back on at night, when he can cut loose and let his wackier side prevail.  That was amazing radio (of course, he'd still be getting the salary he is now.  Wouldn't want that to change in the least).  

But yet again, that's just my opinion.  

I also like Mike Stafford.  He's a very smart man...and an excellent broadcaster.  

My favourite talk show in the GTA is Larry Fedoruk on Newstalk 610.  Larry was one of the best writers CFTR had back in the music days in the late 1970's/early 80's when I worked with him...he's also one of the best talk show hosts in Canada...again my personal opinion.  

And Fjiri, there's no need to call anybody names on this board.  That's why the other one went away.  OK Fjiri?  

Last edited by Doug Thompson (June 17, 2015 3:44 pm)

June 17, 2015 4:52 pm  #11

I have favourites for my slots.  Wake up with Moore, later over to Oakley, then all of Stafford, then a bit of Tina T then over to Tim & Sid.  When Tina went back to all news, Tim & Sid at 1 - 4.  Then right into McCowan.  I sure miss the quirky but fun and entertaining Tim & Sid.  Too bad they 'promoted' them to TV...interesting that Nelson Millman is back at the helm at 590.  Interesting comment about LF - I will consider this as my 1 - 4 slot is still 'unfilled' for me.

~ John McClane