sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 20, 2020 10:08 am  #1

Newscasts Return To CKNT

I was surprised to hear the return of newscasts to Sauga 960 this month. When the station first signed on, they did community and local news at the top of every hour during the heart of the broadcast day. Then, without any explanation, they disappeared for months

For the past two weeks, there's been a top of the hour cast at 10 AM (and perhaps other times, I rarely listen.) What's strange (and with this station, you knew there had to be something) is that there's a music bed that runs throughout the entire thing for reasons I can't quite fathom. 

Anyway, considering the promise of performance the owner made while going for the licence, I'm surprised they were allowed to get away with not broadcasting any news at all for so long.

July 20, 2020 11:03 am  #2

Re: Newscasts Return To CKNT

RadioActive wrote:

Anyway, considering the promise of performance the owner made while going for the licence, I'm surprised they were allowed to get away with not broadcasting any news at all for so long.

There's nothing in their license requiring them to air newscasts.

July 20, 2020 2:26 pm  #3

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

There's nothing in their license requiring them to air newscasts.

Technically true, but if memory serves, they did promise the CRTC they would cover Mississauga politics and local issues, including those at City Hall. They really haven't been doing that at all in the times I've listened. So there's kind of an implied spirit in that agreement that got them the licence and it would be easy to argue they haven't fulfilled it. At least a newscast can cover some of the stuff, even if only in copy.

July 20, 2020 2:50 pm  #4

There's really no such thing as a "promise." in the process. There are only conditions of license. There is no consequence for varying from your initial programming plan. They could go 24/7 automated Big Band tomorrow, and they wouldn't even have to tell the CRTC.