sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 11, 2020 10:35 pm  #1

The Chart Roger Ashby Uses For His Top 5 Oldies Countdown

I was wondering about this as I listened to the Saturday edition of Roger Ashby's always terrific Oldies show, and now I have my answer. In doing the Top 5 countdown for the week of July 11, 1967, he played "Come On Down To My Boat" by Every Mother's Son. He mentioned it was #2 this week. 

I checked with Billboard and it never reached higher than the sixth spot. So I went back in my CHUM Chart Collection and found I happened to have the chart from July 10, 1967. And sure enough, there it was - the Top 5 he played this week, with the song in question at #2. All the other positions matched, as well. 

So though it's never said on air, it seems certain that this weekly recap is based on the old CHUM survey. Which makes the feature even better, in my mind.  

July 12, 2020 1:42 am  #2

Re: The Chart Roger Ashby Uses For His Top 5 Oldies Countdown

Interesting that it shows Lulu's "The Boat That I Row." As good as that Neil Diamond-penned song was, it was the flip side, "To Sir With Love", that became the real hit later that summer. The songs spent a combined 19 weeks on the chart.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

July 12, 2020 8:22 am  #3

Not sure if Roger Ashby mentioned this or not when he played Come on Down to My Boat but that was actually a cover of a song originally titled Come and Take a Ride In My Boat as released by the Rare Breed. The Rare Breed BTW were later the original garage band version of Ohio Express as heard on the song Beg Borrow and Steal as opposed to the later  bubblegum studio group responsible for Yummy Yummy Yummy and other hits.

The Ohio Express would make for an intersting topic on the radio. There was the short lived  garage  era, the bubblegum hits and a song called Sausalito is The Place to Go as performed by the members of 10 CC before they were 10 CC but credited to Ohio Express.

Anyway I love the cover of Boat and there is about 10 secs of silence at the beginging of the original below.

Last edited by Fitz (July 12, 2020 9:19 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

July 12, 2020 8:32 am  #4

The song that really intrigues me on that Top 10 is #8 - "I Take It Back" by Sandy Posey. 

I certainly remember her from songs like "A Single Girl" or "Born A Woman" - both hopelessly dated in these times - but I can't ever recall hearing this tune. Yet it made it that high? I'm surprised. 

Having just listened to it, I can't quite understand how it reached those heights. 

Still, it sounds like another "Oh Wow!" candidate, Dale. 

July 12, 2020 10:53 am  #5

The CHUM charts were never a mirror of Billboard or Cashbox.  Just compare the number one songs or top 5 hits from the Billboard and CHUM archives and there are many big differences. Some groups and songs were more popular in Toronto than elsewhere, but the reverse was also true.

And songs that were hits on CHUM and never charted even in the top 30 on Billboard.  An example The Flirtations- Nothing But a Heartache reached #4 on CHUM but never cracked the top 30 on either Billboard or Cashbox, and not even in the top 50 in the UK where the band was based.

And of course there are all the cancon gems on CHUM that got into the top 5 and #1 over the years that never charted outside Canada...Clear the Track..Here Comes Shack, number one on CHUM!  Roger will likely play it some week.

July 12, 2020 12:45 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

The song that really intrigues me on that Top 10 is #8 - "I Take It Back" by Sandy Posey. 

I certainly remember her from songs like "A Single Girl" or "Born A Woman" - both hopelessly dated in these times - but I can't ever recall hearing this tune. Yet it made it that high? I'm surprised. 

Having just listened to it, I can't quite understand how it reached those heights. 

Still, it sounds like another "Oh Wow!" candidate, Dale. 

I have "I Take It Back" but not the other two, which are too "common."

https://live365.com/station/Oh-Wow--The-Songs-Radio-Forgot-a68406

Last edited by Dale Patterson (July 12, 2020 12:46 pm)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

July 25, 2020 11:47 am  #7

Billboard and the CHUM charts really were much different.  Looking at the top 5 for the week of July 20/68 on Billboard and CHUM's on July 22nd are not similar at all.  Overall there are a lot of big difference in the top 40 with the Billboard chart being a little more MOR oriented than CHUM.
https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100/1968-07-20
http://chumtribute.com/68-07-22-chart.jpg
Interesting to note that for some big songs CHUM was weeks ahead of Billboard.  Jumpin Jack Flash was number #1 on the CHUM chart five weeks prior on June 17 and 24th, it peaked at #3 on Billboard this week in 1968.  Herb Alpert This Guys in Love with You was #1 on the CHUM chart June 10th and by July 22nd was out of the top 40 but still showing up as #4 on Billboard.