sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 5, 2020 5:39 pm  #1

CBC Gem App

I signed up, then they made it free during the initial Corona outbreak, so I cancelled and they have just gone back to pay for premium  The $4.99/ month is worth it to me as I don't have cable and want the National.
Here's the kicker.. I renewed the other day and they allow payment through Google Pay, before they used a Credit Card.  I do the Google rewards, basically, little surveys asking if you were at a particular store or location and they credit your account.  So, CBC Gem Premium is free.
Yes, tracking locations but you can always opt out.  Just a heads up.

July 5, 2020 5:59 pm  #2

Re: CBC Gem App

A couple of days ago Berry Hertz in the Globe and Mail had an article titled- Inside CBC Gem, the best streaming service that no one is talking about. The story however can only be viewed by Globe and Mail subscribers..I know a few people who really like the Gem premium service..

July 6, 2020 10:29 am  #3

pinto wrote:

The $4.99/ month is worth it to me as I don't have cable and want the National.

The National is available free on the main CBC network... I'm puzzled why you would pay $4.99 for just the National when it's FREE and the exact same version you get on CBC NEWS NETWORK, legally.   It's also posted and streamed free on their website and YouTube.    It's also over the air in many markets free of charge if you don't have cable. 

You can do what you wish, but doesn't seem like a smart use of money and supporting a already tax payer supported service for something you already get from many legal sources for free.. 

Last edited by radiokid (July 6, 2020 10:34 am)

July 6, 2020 1:12 pm  #4

I watch other things, the National is OTA at 10, sometimes I watch it at 11 or 9p.  Also some really good content on the Gem app.  I don'y have the CBC News Network, as I mentioned before I don't have cable

July 6, 2020 2:21 pm  #5

pinto wrote:

Also some really good content on the Gem app.  

Agreed. Search the app for FORAGE, a four episode series presented by an indigenous chef who runs Pow Wow Cafe in Kensington Market. Very informative, and yet remarkably brief, episodes.

Or, take your browser here...
https://gem.cbc.ca/season/forage/season-1/deca635f-8261-4552-8ddf-e9eebc84ccab

July 6, 2020 3:38 pm  #6

Thanks for the tip.  I'm also enjoying the series Das Boot, even with the subtitles.