sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 28, 2020 11:57 am  #1

PBS World

Anybody know why WNED no longer carries PBS World? And hasn’t for quite a while? PBS stations in Rochester and Erie both have sub-channels that carry it. I enjoyed it more than Create—which seems to be mainly cooking shows.

June 29, 2020 4:17 pm  #2

Re: PBS World

I forwarded this question to the folks at WNED Audience Relations, and received this reply from a woman named Tara. There's a chance you may get your old channel back if the fates align. 

"We made the decision to move to Create instead of World based on viewer feedback.   While we knew the decision would not be favorable to everyone it has greatly increased our viewership and membership.  We continue to evaluate our secondary channels and are considering adding another one.  The World is a contender for that channel."

Frankly, I find it surprising that a subcarrier channel most people don't receive (since the vast majority of their viewers are not on antenna) "greatly increased their viewership," but I will take her word for it. Anyway, they claim the people have spoken - and "Create" is what they said they wanted. The possible addition of a third channel is new, and I certainly hope they decide to do it, whatever it may be. 

Anyway, I hope that answers your question. 

June 29, 2020 7:50 pm  #3

Thanks for checking. Seems there are lots of cooking shows and even cooking channels out there. I’m sure it’s a financial decision. Not sure what it costs to affiliate with World and what’s the electric bill for running another sub-channel.

June 29, 2020 8:13 pm  #4

If it comes back on 17-4, I will welcome it. I agree with you, the current Create is very dull, although this kind of lifestyle stuff is very popular. (I've always been absolutely baffled by the popularity of the Food Network, but I know people who say it's all they watch, so to each his or her own.)

If you have a VPN, you can still watch all the World programming online. The website has a ton of stuff here. If not, hopefully, you'll be able to see it OTA soon. 

July 2, 2020 6:17 am  #5

RadioActive wrote:

Frankly, I find it surprising that a subcarrier channel most people don't receive (since the vast majority of their viewers are not on antenna) "greatly increased their viewership," but I will take her word for it. 

Well the broadcasting of the channel does give them cable carriage for Create, so perhaps she was talking about those ratings?

According to WNED's site, Create is available on Time-Warner/Spectrum

July 2, 2020 11:17 am  #6

RadioActive wrote:

Frankly, I find it surprising that a subcarrier channel most people don't receive (since the vast majority of their viewers are not on antenna) "greatly increased their viewership," but I will take her word for it. Anyway, they claim the people have spoken - and "Create" is what they said they wanted. The possible addition of a third channel is new, and I certainly hope they decide to do it, whatever it may be. 

Most sub channels are carried on cable in US markets.   Every time I visit family, Antenna TV H&I etc are all on basic cable. 

With cord cutting, I think personally this is a smart move to use those sub channels to keep the audience vs trying to make them pay for something they just won't.