sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 13, 2020 9:00 pm  #1

Carrasco show appears to have ended on AM 640

Greg Brady filled in the time this morning . I just saw on Facebook Carrasco is to make a major announcement in the net few days. His banner has been removed from the 640 webpage.  His show was a Saturday staple for me as I worked . I liked the open phone segments. If, as  I suspect, he is going the podcast route, then good luck to you Greg. I don;t have a way or the time to listen to a podcast. I did enjoy your 13 year run on 640. Nothing does last forever I suppose. Thanks for the slackernation T shirt you gave me earlier this year. Adios amigo.

Last edited by mic'em (June 13, 2020 9:02 pm)

June 13, 2020 9:16 pm  #2

Re: Carrasco show appears to have ended on AM 640

Out of curiosity, have his ads stopped running on 640? Wasn't that the deal with a certain jeweller? I guess it's his ball and he's taking it with him.

June 14, 2020 11:32 am  #3

As he's a new car dealer (or manager) it had to be difficult to avoid conflict of interest situations with caller questions 

June 14, 2020 12:35 pm  #4

I'm sorry for those who enjoyed the old show, but this came at a very auspicious time for me. On Saturday, I was preparing to take the dog out for a walk and was tuning around the dial, lamenting some of the most boring radio I've ever heard.

All I could find were either infomercials, gardening shows or endless interviews about things like fundraisers and blood donations. All worthy topics, to be sure, but not worth 10 minutes of extended air time for what is essentially a one minute PSA. 

I've done my share of those over the years and I'm sorry, but there's simply no way to make the Food Bank plea for donations interesting for that long. 

And then, just when I'd despaired of finding anyone talking about anything that seemed relevant, I stumbled across Brady's show. He was talking about so many not only controversial but also topical stories that I assumed I was listening to a reroll - until he gave an actual time check and a weather update. 

For years, I've been unhappy with the idea that if it happens on a weekend - unless it's breaking news - we have to talk about a 4-year-old girl's lemonade stand for 15 minutes, because hey, no one wants to hear anything controversial on a Saturday or Sunday. I've heard this logic over and over and over and it results in some of the dullest radio I've ever heard, much of it on CFRB.

(It's been explained to me that, 'It's the weekend - people want to escape from the heavy stuff they face the rest of the week.' And so you end up with a show like Ted Woloshyn's, who literally eats during the broadcast and also does interviews about plays and shows we can no longer see because of the pandemic and likely would not go to in any case. I absolutely cannot understand why hearing someone talk about a food you can't see, can't taste or can't smell on the air is of any use to anyone or why anybody would take the time to listen to it. But maybe that's just me.) 

Why programmers almost uniformly believe that something that's important Monday-Friday suddenly has no relevance or interest on a weekend is beyond me. I found most of Brady's show worthwhile, informative and most of all, interesting. I know Corus would rather sell the time to a paid shill, but I hope this new "Brady In The Morning" is on again next week.

June 14, 2020 1:21 pm  #5

640 has trained their listeners (namely me) that their programming week ends at 3 pm on Friday. (Sorry I cannot take Oakley's tired show.) I tune back in on Monday.

To that end, I had no idea they had live non-shilled programming on the weekends. It their fault.

And, yes, it wasn't my imagination, he did work for a new dealership every year.

As for conflict of interest: who knows? I assumed his was a paid show. So, of course, he'll steer people in his brands direction. Maybe 640 will convince me to tune in longer. After all, I'm glued to Drex after never tuning in overnight due to C2C.

June 14, 2020 3:20 pm  #6

RB's brand manager "owes" Ted. He's keeping him on out of loyal sentimentality. ONLY. 🤐😡 As someone here called him once: "grandpa crunch 'n munch". 👎

June 16, 2020 5:37 am  #7

To think that Woloshyn was once the morning man at  Q107 at one point, mind you that was in the late 70's

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

June 16, 2020 11:02 am  #8

I have no issue with Woloshyn as a broadcaster. He's a real pro with years of experience.

My complaint is more about the content - or lack of it - on his show. I'm not entirely sure if this is his idea or the PD's using that old canard about leaving the controversial stuff off the weekends because no one is interested. 

It's the same reason I can't listen to Barb DiGiulio's show from 7-10 PM. She's very good when she deals with actual news. But topics like 'who helps the kids with their homework?' or 'who does the chores in your house?'  are too vapid, boring and contrived to listen to. And then when she has a guest like "Angel the Psychic," I just get angry about the waste of wattage.

She's a talented broadcaster. And she deserves better.   

June 16, 2020 5:26 pm  #9

Hopefully his ego will reinvent itself. Maybe he's not on because he shorted his invoice to Corus "due to the virus". But, wait! His dealership could sell a car to a blind amputee.

June 18, 2020 8:36 pm  #10

This man has such an interesting Instagram account

Me thinks more Greg not less.

I applove

June 19, 2020 9:58 am  #11

RadioActive wrote:

I have no issue with Woloshyn as a broadcaster. He's a real pro with years of experience.

My complaint is more about the content - or lack of it - on his show. I'm not entirely sure if this is his idea or the PD's using that old canard about leaving the controversial stuff off the weekends because no one is interested. 

It's the same reason I can't listen to Barb DiGiulio's show from 7-10 PM. She's very good when she deals with actual news. But topics like 'who helps the kids with their homework?' or 'who does the chores in your house?'  are too vapid, boring and contrived to listen to. And then when she has a guest like "Angel the Psychic," I just get angry about the waste of wattage.

She's a talented broadcaster. And she deserves better.   

when a Psychic comes on, you've lost me as a listener .. forever .. 

June 19, 2020 10:07 am  #12

I was once forced to do one of those psychic shows, although not to get "readings" to listeners. It was to promote some sort of psychic fair downtown the station was involved in and I couldn't get out of it. 

But I made sure that I kept it short and only asked general questions about the event and how it all worked. I refused to take callers asking about their love life etc. which I believe is the worst kind of radio you can do. (Yes it fills up the lines, but it's incredibly boring and a disservice to listeners who may not have been born at 3:20 AM on Sept. 14th, 1973.) 

I mention it because the woman they sent in, one of the star psychics and a leading attraction at the show, insisted on doing a reading of me off the air before we got started. Every single thing she told me was 100% wrong about my personality (such as it is) and what she believed I was into. She missed on absolutely everything. I never corrected her, of course, because she was a guest. But it just confirmed what I already believed about these guys and gals.

June 19, 2020 10:38 am  #13

RadioActive wrote:

I was once forced to do one of those psychic shows .. I mention it because the woman they sent in, one of the star psychics and a leading attraction at the show, insisted on doing a reading of me off the air before we got started. Every single thing she told me was 100% wrong about my personality (such as it is) and what she believed I was into. She missed on absolutely everything. I never corrected her, of course, because she was a guest. But it just confirmed what I already believed about these guys and gals.

Looks like psychic powers don't extend to the lottery .. 
https://goo.gl/maps/KJZShi4XX1FDZkdD8

June 19, 2020 4:32 pm  #14

Tickle Trunk wrote:

640 has trained their listeners (namely me) that their programming week ends at 3 pm on Friday. (Sorry I cannot take Oakley's tired show.) I tune back in on Monday

Have a nice weekend, Tickle 

June 27, 2020 7:58 am  #15

The new show debuts July 11 without John Scoles as co-host. Seems like a sideways move to me. From near the bottom of the ratings list to the rock bottom. The coverage area of 1050 versus 640 outside of the Gta will be diminished as well. Altho I guess the out of towners aren't necessarily going to travel to Oakville to buy a vehicle. I will also surmise the cost of three hours of airtime on TSN 1050 on a Saturday morning will be lower than on 640. I noticed this morning Carasco posted a Globe and Mail story on Facebook about Corrus's losses in revenue this year so far. I'm sure Corrus took a major financial hit with his move to TSN. 

Last edited by mic'em (June 27, 2020 8:01 am)

June 27, 2020 2:08 pm  #16

Hey...Tickle Trunk got banned. What a shame. He offered so much to the debate.

July 6, 2020 11:05 am  #17

I just heard my first Carrasco spot since he left 640. And you'll never guess where it aired - CKNT, aka Sauga 960 AM.

Hmmm, you don't suppose he'll be buying time for a show from them? Stranger things have happened. Or perhaps I should say, "Is something happening here?" 

July 6, 2020 6:04 pm  #18

Speaking of AM 640, why does Ari Rabinovitch get a helicopter while News Talk 1010's Jody Thornton is required to cruise the DVP in his old Toyota?

July 6, 2020 6:55 pm  #19

At least we know he won't run into any traffic jams!

July 6, 2020 6:57 pm  #20

Charlie wrote:

Kilgore wrote:

Speaking of AM 640, why does Ari Rabinovitch get a helicopter while News Talk 1010's Jody Thornton is required to cruise the DVP in his old Toyota?

Jody prefers to cruise in the Toyota, so he can listen to post-Bachman Guess Who on the 8-Track.

it goes without saying then that Jody should forsake the Toyota and embrace being a Bus Rider : ))

Kidding aside, I really liked Kurt Winter's straight forward, to the point guitar style.